Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Great Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Great Outdoors

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    Boy i have never seen a winter like this before. We got another huge amount of snowfall today-work canceled, classes canceled. I took my truck to the lake to see what the roads were like there and got stuck. I had to walk back in two feet of snow across the frozen lake while 30 mph winds at 14 degrees were blowing in my face and i just had a sweatshirt on. I cant get my truck out and tow trucks wont even go in there. For the first time in a loong time i am looking forward to spring.
    Yesterday it was 46 above, and today the same even tough my "smart" phone says its only 20 above.
    Your getting our weather.
    Everyone up here is glad your getting it and and likes this surprising warmth.
    Such short sighted people.
    I used to do recovery & transport with a roll back flat bed. Had to shut down the Dalton hwy to get the correct angle to recover a car that flipped & rolled about 100 feet off the hwy into the woods. Think it was around pump station 3 of the pipeline, but can't remember. Don't know of any situation that would stop a tow/recovery up here. If one guy won't do it the next will.

Comment

Yeh this one i would not want to touch either if i was the guy who had to pull it out. The reason i wont get anyone to come is because they will not come if they see what the situation is. The road is narrow and either side of it is a drop off into much deeper snow. You cant stay on this road because it is higher then the sides and in that deep snow the truck keeps sliding into the softer shoulder no matter how hard you try to keep it on the road. Steering is useless in this deep snow and you always slide back into the lower shoulder. The truck is too deep into the mess to be reached by wench.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Did you had chains on all four tires?

I live in Cali but my truck is loaded with tools and equipment and in those conditions you were experiencing I would carry extra fuel/rifle/gas heater/emergency locator/MREs, etc
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          Yeh this one i would not want to touch either if i was the guy who had to pull it out. The reason i wont get anyone to come is because they will not come if they see what the situation is. The road is narrow and either side of it is a drop off into much deeper snow. You cant stay on this road because it is higher then the sides and in that deep snow the truck keeps sliding into the softer shoulder no matter how hard you try to keep it on the road. Steering is useless in this deep snow and you always slide back into the lower shoulder. The truck is too deep into the mess to be reached by wench.
          I'm not trying to argue with you, but as a recovery & transport guy I used to be, I think I know this breed.
          Recovery is as much an art form as a set procedures thing. You might read a tow and recovery magazine sometime to see the incredible recoveries performed.
          To tell a recovery expert he can't do that is a challenge laid down and would bring nothing but disbelief up here.
          Too far for a wench? Really. We got guys up her called mudders who put big fat tires on there trucks and then proceed to go out onto the flats (Tanana river flats) and get stuck 2 or 300 feet out. I've pulled many of these guys out while they are stuck up to their axels in mud. You just keep adding rope (steel cable) and chain till you reach them.
          Insofar as the narrowness and steep drop & snow. If one rolls back the bed then angles it to its steepest angle then drops it down, one can lift the entire truck off the ground, then with the othe hydraulic tire lift in conjunction, you can walk a truck up the side of steep incline.
          I had to rescue someone up Murphy Dome in similar situation as you discribe. Need to remove side mirrors it was so narrow. Deep snow, steep mountain, way back in there.
          I'm absolutely sure you couldn't tell a recovery guy he couldn't do that. Unless their new to the game, imagination & determination are the rule.
          Do you have a four wheel drive?
          Hydraulics rule.

Comment

I have 4 X4 but no chains. I wish you were here Arty. We could either get my truck out or we could both wait for warmer weather to melt the snow..
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Truck did come out-i had a guy with a loong wench pull it out but was pretty tricky. Been ice fishing since the semester is over and i have some time but the fishing has been very slow. The hi has been in the 20s and the ice is around 20 inches thick. I do not remember having ice this late let alone it being this thick. I think the slow fishing might have to do with the fact that the lake has been covered much longer then ever before by ice thus perhaps the oxygen levels in the water have been depleted. I had to look hard to find fish and the ones i found were not biting well. The ice was so nice-it had a thin layer of snow on it which prevented me from slipping but it was so smooth that pulling my 50lbs of gear was effortless. I did catch a big bass on my panfish pole and that was a fun fight but ice fishing has not been good. We are to go from 20s to 40s the next couple days so perhaps this is goodbye to old man winter till next season but this ice will take forever to melt thus i will be fishing next couple weeks.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Was Vahram the only photo guy on the forum? Anyone?
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Beautiful pics Siggie, and your description of the trip sounds awesome

Comment

It was in the 60s yesterday. All the snow and ice had melted but today there is 3 to 4 inches of new snow here. Everything is covered in a thick white blanket again. Pretty strange weather here last several years and it is getting stranger every year. We had 70 degrees and 40 to 50 mph winds few days ago-had no power-heat-runing water for two days. The ups and downs in the weather pattern are becoming more and more extreme.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Camera-trap footage of a Caucasian Leopard (Panthera pardus saxicolor), from WLT's Armenian partner FPWC (Foundation for the Preservation of Wildlife and Cul...
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X