Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Pro: Agnosticism / Con: Atheism

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro: Agnosticism / Con: Atheism

It is my understanding that atheism is based in logic, a main idea essentially being that anything other than atheism asserts God and that assertion is illogical. When I first heard this approach, I dismissed it with the claim that it defies the idea of probability. However, I was compelled to think about it further and refined my stance to the following rebuttal and support for agnosticism.

Atheism is fueled by the limitation of language. It traps itself with words that have no substance — more specifically, by the use of the terms God or a god. Those terms are completely meaningless; they have virtually no definition, whatsoever. Philosophically, one cannot argue against an idea that has no specific definition. Rather, one must attempt to form conclusions based on concepts that do not depend on language, a good example being the idea of cause and effect. One cannot argue, with our current understanding of reality, that everything is a cause and has a cause and that everything is an effect and has an effect. This applies with equal validity to the "universe as we known it." Toss the idea of "a god" out the window and, instead, replace it with "cause of the universe." This makes more sense and is a very logical assertion. Now that we have an unknown cause, we can understand that, by its very nature, it is infinite. It is infinite because the nature of it cannot be defined; it has not been observed and facts for induction do not exist. From the perspective of ignorance, the potential chain of cause and effect that effected the present is infinite. This brings us back to the atheistic approach. If someone subtracts a value of one from infinity, he or she is left with infinity. If someone adds the value of one to infinity he or she is left with infinity. Such action has no outcome. This is what is happening when one attempts to define the cause of the universe that, logically, has an infinite number of possible manifestations. In that sense, atheism does what organized religion does: defining the cause that cannot be defined. They decide that which should not be decided. Agnosticism says, that the nature of the cause of the universe has infinite possible manifestations, ergo Christian thought may be right, Jewish thought may be right, Hindu thought may be right, atheism may be right, but believing in any one of them is ridiculous because it has no merits beyond another. They are all infinitesimal and equally worthless. What now? Until science discovers that which has no cause, forget about defining the cause of the universe as we know it and seek the knowledge that can be sought, all the while knowing that you know practically nothing.

You forget one thing, and that is that the scientific approach and method is simply another metaphysical assumption. This point about the "causation" principle regarding the universe is pointless. Loser argued this incessantly with me, and the point is that no one can really know the cause, it is beyond our grasp, since we only came after whatever was the cause, in that sense, not even science will know, and it is precisely why faith is the only thing that matters, which of course you will find silly, but you choosing not to believe is in itself another form of belief, which I was trying to get loser to understand.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
      You forget one thing, and that is that the scientific approach and method is simply another metaphysical assumption. This point about the "causation" principle regarding the universe is pointless. Loser argued this incessantly with me, and the point is that no one can really know the cause, it is beyond our grasp, since we only came after whatever was the cause, in that sense, not even science will know, and it is precisely why faith is the only thing that matters, which of course you will find silly, but you choosing not to believe is in itself another form of belief, which I was trying to get loser to understand.

I did not forget anything. What you said has nothing to do with this thread; you are inciting a discussion about an unrelated topic.

I will say, however, that even though one can argue that any cause can only be presumed, the use of induction will provide a more credible possibility than pure faith. If you make the claim that everything is in someway a matter of faith, then it makes the idea of faith have no value as it is encompassing the lack of faith. Yes, you will dismiss this by using terms like "relativist" but I am right. Faith is fine as an idea on its own but not all "faiths" have equal weight in terms of their conclusions about reality. This is the end of the discussions about things other than agnosticism versus atheism.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
        Agnosticism says, that the nature of the cause of the universe has infinite possible manifestations, ergo Christian thought may be right, Jewish thought may be right, Hindu thought may be right, atheism may be right, but believing in any one of them is ridiculous because it has no merits beyond another. They are all infinitesimal and equally worthless. What now? Until science discovers that which has no cause, forget about defining the cause of the universe as we know it and seek the knowledge that can be sought, all the while knowing that you know practically nothing.
        AMEN!!!!!!!

It's interesting but recently I realized that majority of people are fixated on keeping the terms pure, it really doesn't matter whether there is a broader meaning. A gayridge is ok, but not marriage because it's a term for a man and a woman. "The word God is ok; Unknown=God is absurd although we don't really know the meaning of the word, but the main focus here is to keep the term isolated from any other possible definition and keep it pure. Even if it takes a senseless repetition of the silly statements which go something like this:

A: "God is God, it's not the unknown."
        R: "Well then what is it?"
        A: "I don't know, but it's God."
        B: "So then we can substitute God with the Unknown?"
        A: "No, it's not the unknown, it's God."
        B: "Well than what is God?"
        ...............And so on........until the break of dawn

There you can see this human fixation of defining everything, placing into little packages and smacking labels on them. I mean how awful would it be to live in obscurity? How ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
          I mean how awful would it be to live in obscurity? How ridiculous.
          Yet that is exactly what relativism does.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Yet that is exactly what relativism does.
            Though she deviates a bit from the topic, that is what she said.

Comment

I believe the lady was being sarcastic, Mousy. She was saying that it is okay to live in obscurity, it is okay to admit that you, in fact, do not know everything.

Comment

I believe the lady was being sarcastic, Mousy. She was saying that it is okay to live in obscurity, it is okay to admit that you, in fact, do not know everything.
                Rhetorical. Not sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
                  We all live in obscurity, that is not the question, it is what you believe, and man is hopelessly dependent on belief, one way or another, and will always believe because of that obscurity. It is funny that those that are living in obscurity are the least happiest inside spiritually, although they will never admit.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

We all live in obscurity, that is not the question, it is what you believe, and man is hopelessly dependent on belief, one way or another, and will always believe because of that obscurity. It is funny that those that are living in obscurity are the least happiest inside spiritually, although they will never admit.
                    Or maybe you can take your presumtions about people's happiness to a more appropriate forum.

Comment

Working...
                    X