Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Opportunities with Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anileve
    I know.
    No, you did not. You are lying.

Comment

I agree with Anileve that Linux gives you absolute control over everything. Afterall, the source code is there so you can change ANYTHING you want.

However, this openness could cause problems in terms of security I think. My comment about security was not about this however. Linux can be made very tight and very secure if you really know what you are doing. But so can windows. I wouldn't say one is necessarily more secure than the other at this point. The one advantage that windows has is that there are experts out there (at Microsoft) actively patching up all the holes for us, the average users ... we simply need to run windows update once in a while.

I haven't yet seen the equivalent of windows update in linux. Once such a mechanism is in place, then I'll sleep better at night running my linux servers (if I had any) The thing with security is that there is no fool proof system ... as history has shown, anything will eventually be broken somehow.
      this post = teh win.

Comment

I believe that would be "full," unless I misunderstood the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
          I believe that would be "full," unless I misunderstood the idea.
          Lesson #1: When you have nothing to say...correct others.

Comment

"foolproof"? Is that the term in reference? I should not have put a space there but I did mean it in this context:

foolproof (adjective)
            1. designed to function despite human error: designed to continue working properly in the face of any kind of human error, incompetence, or misuse
            Last edited by Sip; 06-18-2004, 03:03 PM.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

I misunderstood. Very good.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
                Lesson #1: When you have nothing to say...correct others.
                Lesson #2: If you are as dumb or dumber than anileve, shut the snatch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
                  I agree with Anileve that Linux gives you absolute control over everything. Afterall, the source code is there so you can change ANYTHING you want.

However, this openness could cause problems in terms of security I think. My comment about security was not about this however. Linux can be made very tight and very secure if you really know what you are doing. But so can windows. I wouldn't say one is necessarily more secure than the other at this point. The one advantage that windows has is that there are experts out there (at Microsoft) actively patching up all the holes for us, the average users ... we simply need to run windows update once in a while.

I haven't yet seen the equivalent of windows update in linux. Once such a mechanism is in place, then I'll sleep better at night running my linux servers (if I had any) The thing with security is that there is no fool proof system ... as history has shown, anything will eventually be broken somehow.
                  I hope you read the article to which I posted the link. Also read this.

Breaking news, live coverage, investigations, analysis, video, photos and opinions from The Washington Post. Subscribe for the latest on U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, climate change, health and wellness, sports, science, weather, lifestyle and more.

Comment

Originally posted by dusken
                    Lesson #2: If you are as dumb or dumber than anileve, shut the snatch up.
                    Lesson #3: If you are as gallant as dusken, drown yourself.

Comment

Here's the critical quote from the article

The patches that aren't downloaded: Windows is better than most operating systems at easing the drudgery of staying on top of patches and bug fixes, since it can automatically download them. A PC kept current with Microsoft's security updates would have survived this week unscathed.

But hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Windows systems still got Blasted, even though the patch to stop this worm was released weeks ago.

Part of this is users' fault. "Critical updates" are called that for a reason, and it's foolish to ignore them. (The same goes for not installing and updating anti-virus software.)
                      There is a tradeoff. Mac OS ships with "zero ports open" as the article states. But my buddy who owns a very sexy new Mac has been completely unable to get a wireless card to work with it. Sure he is no expert but Windows is not shipped to the experts! Most of its users are below average joe's trying to figure out how to check their emails. So there has been a design choice made to sacrifice some security over ease of use to make the "default" installation suitable for the widest possible range of end users.

The recent Netsky blast utilized a security hole that Microsoft had patched more than 2 weeks before! Now that's excellent service from Microsoft if you ask me.

I am ashamed to admit it but my Linux workstation at UCLA was compromised a couple of years ago and even to this day I don't know how that bastard got in.
                      this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                      X