Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Opportunities with Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opportunities with Linux

Not that anyone here cares, but I decided to waste some of my time anyway. A very interesting article, sounds like a promising future for technology expansion. Linux is being seriously promoted by IBM which is investing billions into the campaign. That would represent a serious completion for Microsoft; so far Linux is the only one to pose a threat to the monopolizing giant.

That would mean more job opportunities for Linux Agents. Pat, perhaps you should look into learning Linux instead? It operates in C++ and deals with a great portion of programming as well as Networking skills. Plus Linux Certified Agents receive a hefty salary in comparison to Microsoft. I am definitely going to brush up on my Linux.

Here is the article.

Well, I don't know of anyone else who would know this other than Seapahn. Thus this post was only meant to give my post count a boost. Cheerio.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

OK interesting. I've got a C++ book, maybe I'll read it sometime. It's too bad those certification people only plop out tests and don't teach you anything.

Comment

Oh, by the way, it should be added that Microsoft is a government created monopoly. Not that anyone here cares.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
          Well, I don't know of anyone else who would know this other than Seapahn. Thus this post was only meant to give my post count a boost. Cheerio.
          In C++ lingo, we just say: Anonymouse.post_count++;

About Linux and C++... Linux is written in C/C++. Knowledge of C/C++ will help if you plan to hack into the kernel and make modifications to it or write drivers or other applications. Although there are utilities that come packaged with most linux distributions that streamline the customization of the operating system kernel with easy to use menus and graphical user interfaces. So you make a bunch of choices and it'll recompile the kernel to your liking. You don't need C knowledge to install and operate most linux distributions. It is very similar to Unix in nature.

Having said that, knowing C is not a bad thing as it can only help!
          this post = teh win.

Comment

By the way, to those who wish to dabble around with linux, I highly recommend VMWare, available from www.vmware.com and to start with Mandrake www.mandrake.org .

If you can't figure out what to do with the info in this post, you are not ready to mess with linux.
            Last edited by Sip; 06-16-2004, 04:51 PM.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

Why does all this matter? Soon the machines will rise, and we will have to destroy all of them.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Because you'd probably want the machines to rise under anarchy (i.e linux) as opposed to an evil government (i.e. Microsoft)
                Last edited by Sip; 06-16-2004, 04:59 PM.
                this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  My darling....I've been meaning to say this to you for quite some time...Will you be my cheerleader?

Seapahn, GUI interface is not used for servers in which case it is much wiser to operate in text mode and know your commands. Also to execute some maintanance scripts, one should be a little familiar with C++. Only if the user intends on using his/her PC as a Desktop machine for a simple purpose GUI interface is preferred. I guess it depends on what you intend to do with Linux; one can get away with GUI only so much, beyond that it becomes very complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
                    By the way, to those who wish to dabble around with linux, I highly recommend VMWare, available from www.vmware.com
                    I remember using VMWare to do NT Server installations. I really didn't like it. To do an installation it works, but it's always best to screw up a system once or twice to get a good hang of it.

More on Open Source OS.
                    France Challenges Microsoft in Software Re-Fit
                    Fri 18 June, 2004 15:47
                    By Emmanuel Jarry and Jean-Baptiste Vey

PARIS (Reuters) - France's cash-strapped government is giving alternative software firms the chance to win state business from Microsoft in a pioneering drive to challenge the U.S. software giant in the public sector.

Civil service minister Renaud Dutreil told Reuters France wanted to use "open-source" software providers to resupply part of the almost one million state computers under a government cost-cutting drive designed to trim a bulging public deficit.

"We are not starting a war against Microsoft, or against American companies in the software sector," Dutreil said in an interview. But he added that Microsoft "must return to being one supplier to the state among others."

"The competition is open," he said. "My estimate is that we can cut the state software bill at least in half."

At stake, in the case of office suite software alone, is around 300 million euros ($362.5 million) worth of software to be introduced to state computers over three years. Savings on operating systems could be of a similar order, officials said.

France's conservative government is trying to cut costs as it seeks to rein in a public sector deficit which is set to bust the European Union limit of three percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2004 for the third year running.

Open-source software -- uncopyrighted software which has no license cost -- like Linux, OpenOffice, Mozilla, Apache, MySQL and Evolution -- was "very credible," Dutreil said.

Microsoft, which is appealing a European Union fine for breaching antitrust law, said it would seek to show the French government it could offer software at a competitive price.

"In fact, open-source software is not free. It is very expensive because it shifts the cost to maintenance, services, integration and training," Microsoft France chief Christophe Aulnette said.

Open-source software suppliers welcomed the news.

"This decision will allow us to increase our presence in France," said Jacques Le Marois, president of the French open-source software company MandrakeSoft.

"This will also help us sell our solutions to other governments," he said, adding that he believed the German, Israeli and Malasian governments also envisaged shifting to open-source software.

France's culture, agriculture and finance ministries had already signed deals with MandrakeSoft, the company said. ($1=.8275 Euro)

Comment

Working...
                    X