Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK good discussion guys. When I have a moment to look trough my options I will. I'm sure I can find these books cheap. I work for a netowrk security company now, and I wanna beef up so I can intimidate fellow cubicle residents with my knowledge. Altough the company prefers you learn things their way. AND I'm thinking of going to some sort of night/weekend classes for a computer engineering degree. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. It's gonna be 8:30 AM - 6PM work; 8PM - 11PM class. If they even have damn night classes.

Whatever ! In conclusion: thanks.

P.S. - What's the ISBN of that Tanenbaum book?
    Last edited by patlajan; 07-14-2004, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
      Same thing as 11b just a different name if you ask me (still in the 2.4Ghz) and it's even backward compatible with b ... it's all about 802.11a and the 5Ghz band now ... I'm still sticking to 11b since it's everywhere.

About "books", I personally can't stand them. I'd say if you really want to learn something, especially computer related, just search google and in a couple of hours you should pretty much know all there is to know
      You are the only professor I know who hates books, very strange. You are right, who needs professors when you have Google. Now I know why half of your class was missing…they were busy googling.

Comment

I myself rarely learned anything in class ... there have only been a very few professors that have really made a lightbulb go on in my head ... one of them was my MS/PhD advisor. The rest just basically told me what was going to be on the test

Computer related things are best learned on one's own and most often by hands on exploration and tinkering. The subject is such that it's hard to teach someone using a book. Now computer "engineering" is a different matter as that is a serious science and doesn't change from the time the book is finished till it hits the shelves.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

I myself rarely learned anything in class ... there have only been a very few professors that have really made a lightbulb go on in my head ...
          Really? I am proud to say that it has been an opposite experience for me. I guess it all depends on the level of your intellect. I am mediocre, so anyone with a bit of a knowledge amuzes me.

Comment

I myself rarely learned anything in class ... there have only been a very few professors that have really made a lightbulb go on in my head ... one of them was my MS/PhD advisor. The rest just basically told me what was going to be on the test

Computer related things are best learned on one's own and most often by hands on exploration and tinkering. The subject is such that it's hard to teach someone using a book. Now computer "engineering" is a different matter as that is a serious science and doesn't change from the time the book is finished till it hits the shelves.
            Soldering microchips can also be a process of trial and error, but with bigger consequences

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
              Soldering microchips can also be a process of trial and error, but with bigger consequences
              I've never soldered, but I would imagine many burns on fingers. Would burning your fingers from cooking, cutting your hands from fiddling with hardware in a PC and breaking your nails from fixing copy machines be considered as a prerequisite for soldering? Perhaps playing piano is a better preparation since you must be delicate with your handwork.

Comment

Considering they can fit 100's if not 1000s of transistors in the space taken by the tip of the soldering iron, I'd say chances of really screwing things up is not negligible
                this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
                  I've never soldered, but I would imagine many burns on fingers. Would burning your fingers from cooking, cutting your hands from fiddling with hardware in a PC and breaking your nails from fixing copy machines be considered as a prerequisite for soldering? Perhaps playing piano is a better preparation since you must be delicate with your handwork.
                  Burning yourself doesn't happen very often. Leaving the iron unattanded and burning the crap out of your work area is more common. Remember to wear eye protection. You never know when a piece of hot solder will fly off towards your head.

Comment

"Computer Networks"[/b] by Tanenbaum which is now in 4th edition.
                    I'm reading this book and so far I like it very much. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Let me know if you have any questions

Don't get to bogged down with chapter 2 (physical layer) ... it doesn't really start becoming "networking" until chapter 4 and 5 (data link, MAC, and network layers).
                      this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                      X