Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking

I need a crash course in networking. When I used to do light web programming, the network was the ISP's damn propblem. I need our forum techies to recommend some starter reading material. Thanks....

I don't know about books, but here's a good web resource.

Get access to a community of experts who can help you solve technical problems, stay up-to-date on the latest technologies, and advance your career.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Depends how much information you want. I find this book great for its brief and to the point format, I am not sure how you'll find it. You seem pretty comfortable with computers so I don't think you'll have an issue grasping everything.

Network+ Exam Cram 2 (Exam Cram N10-002)

This is another book, I personally have never read it, but it might be worth a look.

Networking Explained.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
        Depends how much information you want. I find this book great for its brief and to the point format, I am not sure how you'll find it. You seem pretty comfortable with computers so I don't think you'll have an issue grasping everything.

Network+ Exam Cram 2 (Exam Cram N10-002)

This is another book, I personally have never read it, but it might be worth a look.

Networking Explained.
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
        Thanks anileve. Is this book geared more towards the test or is it also good as a reference?

Comment

Network+ is geared towards an exam, but it’s sort of networking in a nutshell. For someone who doesn’t understand anything about networking or is not familiar with the terms it might be a bit complex. I like it because it is a quick reference without the elaborate history and without the dissection of the theory. I would suggest for you to take a trip to B&N and look at a few books, jot down the titles and order them online for half the price.

If you want a better understanding of the networking concept in a clear and simple format you might want to look into Networking Explained or Networking for Dummies.

Also you can download an ebook from this link.
          Free-Codecs.com : Download latest codecs and multimedia tools, free

You’ll need to download an UltimateZip program to unzip the .rar file. It can be downloaded here.

==========

BTW Are you learning any programming languages? I think I am going to take up JAVA. I did a search on hotjobs.com for java and it returned over a 400 job listings. I am also considering Visual C++.
          Last edited by anileve; 07-14-2004, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I just so happen to know that the Computer Engineering department at UW Madison teaches their undergrad/grad intro to networking course based around "Communication Networks 2nd Ed." by Leon-Garcia and Widjaja. When I took my first networking class back in UCLA, we used "Computer Networks" by Tanenbaum which is now in 4th edition.

The Garcia book is alright and covers a lot of things ... it is not very organized however as they circle around a bunch of topics and get very wordy at times so some students complain that it's hard to follow. However, I've heard the teacher there is really cool so that may make up a lot for the stuff the book is lacking. The latest Tanenbaum book I'm not too sure about but the older one (not sure which edition it was) did a good job I think.

I noticed UCLA is now teaching the course using Kurose's book called "Computer Networking (3rd) : Top Down" which I have heard good things about but haven't actually seen myself.

If it's a real textbook on communication networks you want, any of these three is as good a start as any.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
              "Communication Networks 2nd Ed." by Leon-Garcia and Widjaja.
              FYI
              This book is designed for introductory one-semester or one-year courses in communications networks in upper-level undergraduate programs. The second half of the book can be used in more advanced courses. As pre-requisites the book assumes a general knowledge of computer systems and programming, and elementary calculus. The second edition expands on the success of the first edition by updating on technological changes in networks and responding to comprehensive market feedback.
              Personally I don't like textbooks when I am studying something on my own. They are meant to be accompanied with an instructor who can provide solutions and clarify complexities. In cases of the textbooks, problems are given without solutions so the only way for one to check is by asking a professional. It's another thing if you have taken the course and plan on using the book as a reference.

Comment

As far as pre-reqs ... basic understanding of computer systems is definitely there. Programming knowledge is not required unless you want to dabble with TCP/IP programming. Calculus would be needed for understanding some of the mathematical parts for example signal propagation and analog/digital transmission. Probability and queuing theory would be required to understand the parts about network traffic, reliability, and performance analysis.

For example, you don't need to understand the physics of RF signal propagation in space (very complicated math) to have an understanding of how 802.11b LANs operate which use RF signals to communicate.

Any of the textbooks above provide enough background information to be self contained as introductory texts on networking for someone who wants to get started. You can skip the parts that are beyond your understanding and still learn the basics without an instructor.

It all depends on what is meant by "learning about networking"... of course if you want to go into deep details it might take years and years but to get the basics down and have a solid understanding of how networking is done, it's not difficult.
                Last edited by Sip; 07-14-2004, 03:06 PM.
                this post = teh win.

Comment

You are absolutely right, I surrender. The book you've suggested is clearly the best choice. And by the way where have you been grandpa, it's 802.11G now, we're moving on up.

Comment

Same thing as 11b just a different name if you ask me (still in the 2.4Ghz) and it's even backward compatible with b ... it's all about 802.11a and the 5Ghz band now ... I'm still sticking to 11b since it's everywhere.

About "books", I personally can't stand them. I'd say if you really want to learn something, especially computer related, just search google and in a couple of hours you should pretty much know all there is to know
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                    X