Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Money Concerns for Recent Graduates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ckBejug
    I didn't say no one from a cheaper school gets a salary. I was rationalizing MY going to USC, not anything anyone else did. Also, if I had gone to community college and then transferred then I wouldn't have gotten out as soon as I did.
    Well, to begin with, that isn't true. In fact, you could have even completed college courses at a CC while you were still in high school. But even if it were true, a community college is not the only option cheaper than USC.

As for my salary, I never said I make only 40K a year.
    Yeah, but that was your entry-level salary, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
      Well, to begin with, that isn't true. In fact, you could have even completed college courses at a CC while you were still in high school. But even if it were true, a community college is not the only option cheaper than USC.
      I'm sure there are plenty of schools cheaper than USC that I could have gone to. However, with my scholarships, the one's I got FROM USC I manage to have loans that amount to however much I would have paid if I went to a cheaper school. So it's not like I am paying outrageous amounts.

Yeah, but that was your entry-level salary, wasn't it?
      No it wasn't.
      The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

By the way, the top three four-year degrees, in terms of average entry-level salary, are Pharmacy, Chemical Engineering, and Economics, at about 80K, 50K, and 40K, respectively. Public schools with very good programs in these subjects include UC Berkeley, UT Austin, the University of Michigan, the University of Virginia, and UCLA.

Not that I'm criticizing your decision. I know plenty of people who pay far more in loans than you do and make far less.

Comment

Originally posted by !EEK
          Man! I don't get it with you xxK..what is it? You gain money by going to highschool or what? Could someone explain me?

Or are you talking about investements? Clear my mind
          I dont know if i understood your question.
          60k = $60,000
          I'm saying that my b/f made/makes that much without needing a college degree.
          When I am finished with my schooling I will have spent 3 yrs for BA, 3 yrs for MA (waste of a year grr), and 3 or 4 years for PhD, totalling 9 or 10 years total. When I am done and get a job as an assistant professor I will make about $45,000 a year (if I dont teach summer session).

Better?
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

By the way, the top three four-year degrees, in terms of average entry-level salary, are Pharmacy, Chemical Engineering, and Economics, at about 80K, 50K, and 40K, respectively. Public schools with very good programs in these subjects include UC Berkeley, UT Austin, the University of Michigan, the University of Virginia, and UCLA.

Not that I'm criticizing your decision. I know plenty of people who pay far more in loans than you do and make far less.
            Well I got a private school degree and experience on a public school price, AND I guess since I worked the four years of college I already had four years of experience, so I wan't an entry level.
            The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
              I dont know if i understood your question.
              60k = $60,000
              I'm saying that my b/f made/makes that much without needing a college degree.
              When I am finished with my schooling I will have spent 3 yrs for BA, 3 yrs for MA (waste of a year grr), and 3 or 4 years for PhD, totalling 9 or 10 years total. When I am done and get a job as an assistant professor I will make about $45,000 a year (if I dont teach summer session).

Better?

I knew about the 60k being 60000 $ but I thought you were given money for going to highschools (I know it's wierd)..it's okay I understand now

Comment

Originally posted by !EEK
                I knew about the 60k being 60000 $ but I thought you were given money for going to highschools (I know it's wierd)..it's okay I understand now
                I wish I could paid for going to school. I'd be a profession student. That's be great.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Another option that isn't bad, especially with a science degree, is the military. A person with a four-year degree can enter as a lieutenant, which I believe pays about 45K the first year. You are eligible for as much as a 20K raise your first two years and the pay scale eventually caps out at about 165K for very high-ranking officers. With a science or engineering job, you can actually make a bit more with bonus money paid to officers that do certain work. You can also retire at 50% pension after only 20 years, which isn't bad if you make it into the 6-figure payscale within that time. Plus, seeing as how you're only likely to be in your mid-forties, you can always take a high-paying private sector job while collecting your pension as additional income.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
                    I wish I could paid for going to school. I'd be a profession student. That's be great.
                    yay

What are you studying btw?

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
                      Well I got a private school degree and experience on a public school price, AND I guess since I worked the four years of college I already had four years of experience, so I wan't an entry level.
                      Well, let us hope you live long enough to make that worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                      X