Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Proof of Educational Dumbing Down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of Educational Dumbing Down.

Here is a test that 11 year olds took in 1898. Think about this.

Achkerov kute.

Five horses and 28 sheep cost £126 14s., and 16 sheep cost £22 8s.

Ahhh, those must have been the days when you could have had a three course meal, an evening at the music hall, a night with an underage prostitute, and still have change from a sixpence.
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Not that I disagree with you, but in all fairness, I doubt more than 5% of the childhood population actually went to school back then.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
        Not that I disagree with you, but in all fairness, I doubt more than 5% of the childhood population actually went to school back then.
        Really? I find it difficult to believe you if you can't provide some data.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

I don't think it's true. In the end of the 19th century schools proliferated and some few catholic schools were free. It's true that it was generally in the cities but Great Britain had thousands of Hedge Schools in the country side. I would say a thick 40% of the kids where going to school back then

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
            Really? I find it difficult to believe you if you can't provide some data.
            You find everything difficult to believe. Look up the literacy rate in 1989. And the % of people with a post secondary education.
            Last edited by patlajan; 11-26-2004, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I don't know about the average masses but my feeling is the smart are getting smarter and the dumb are getting dumber as the decades go by.

But how is that exam a "proof" of anything? For all we know, all those who took that exam, even though they were probably a very very small fraction of the very elite that got to go to a good school, failed it. Where is the performance data on those exams?
              Last edited by Sip; 11-26-2004, 04:26 PM.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

You are all missing the point. Compare a test for 11 year olds from then, to what 11 years olds get now. This isn't about results or anything, it is the content. And by the content the 11 year olds of 1898 were much more adept than the ones now. It's like the Pilgrims who eventually became the founders of this nation, these were people versed in ancient Greek, Latin, rhetoric, philosophy, and compare that to the politicians of the today.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
                  You find everything difficult to believe. Look up the literacy rate in 1989. And the % of people with a post secondary education.
                  Why don't you offer it eggplant? I'm waiting.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Okay, I checked the US Census Bureau site (which took a while - I hate that site) and according to them, these are the numbers:

In 1900, 10% of kids age 5-14 were enrolled in school, and 8% of 18-24 year-olds were high school graduates.

In 2000, 97% of kids 5-14 were enrolled in school, and 75% of 18-24 year-olds were high school graduates.

The only point is that while the education of an 11 year-old may not be as rigorous as it once was, society as a whole is way, way more educated now than it was 100 years ago. Furthermore, the education of elites really shouldn't be measured by what they learn as a child - it should be measured by what they learn, period. I would show more concern if you can produce evidence that the college education of today's brightest students is significantly less rigorous than the college education of yesterday's brightest. I can say for certain that it is not in math and science, only because our mathematic and scientific knowledge has increased exponentially in the last hundred years, giving us far more knowledge to work with than our forefathers. Still, one might lament the lack of traditional liberal educations at most of our better institutions. The good thing there is that we have so many more colleges to choose from now, and some certainly can give you a very rigorous liberal education that includes extensive study of many viewpoints on the classic questions. Thomas Aquinas College, St. John's College, Reed College, the University of Virginia and others all have such programs and many include great books programs designed to emulate the classical education of the Greek and medieval European elites.

Comment

Working...
                    X