Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Graduate school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduate school

OK who's in graduate school? If so how do you manage to cling to your sanity? I want to persue a masters a year or so from now, but I don't know if I should quit my job or not, what school to go to, how the whole thing works, and other important questions I should be asking myself but don't have the experience to...

I have no one to ask for advice on this, so anything real world experience somebody here wants to share is appreciated.

Whether you can handle working while you're in graduate school depends on the program. Judging from previous comments about how grossly underpaid psych majors are and how it's among the worst majors in that regard, I'm highly doubtful that you'd be in that field. I don't know how valuable my opinion would be to you then.

I've worked between 30-40 hrs a week while in grad school. It's doable. Some programs employ you and you work 20 hrs for them and that's it. When I start a new program in the fall, that will be the case. I have to sign a paper saying that I will not work more than the 20 hrs they employ me for as a condition of my tuition remission and employment.

As far as what school to go to, find out what the better programs are (which won't necessarily be big name universities) and start gathering information early. What specialties they have, how many faculty, what are the publishing histories of the faculty, what are the graduates doing, what are their admissions standards like, what standardized tests do you have to take, when is their application deadline, what application materials will you need, etc. You'll need 3 letters of reference usually and these should be really strong, so if you're not in good with any faculty at your current institution you need to get on that. It's not enough to say, so and so was in my class, he got an A.

Aren't you in CS or telecommunications or something?

The whole process is a xxxxx and I hated it, but it's necessary and it requires quite a bit of organized research, so it's good that you're looking into it now. That's a step in the right direction. It was pretty frustrating for me and from what I hear it is for most people because it's not something people really discuss. So, until you look into the process, you don't know what you'll need and once you do, it's often too late to get what you need to be competative. I can't stress enough how important it is to start thinking about it early.
    Last edited by Siggie; 03-26-2005, 12:41 PM.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie

As far as what school to go to, find out what the better programs are (which won't necessarily be big name universities) and start gathering information early. What specialties they have, how many faculty, what are the publishing histories of the faculty, what are the graduates doing, what are their admissions standards like, what standardized tests do you have to take, when is their application deadline, what application materials will you need, etc. You'll need 3 letters of reference usually and these should be really strong, so if you're not in good with any faculty at your current institution you need to get on that. It's not enough to say, so and so was in my class, he got an A.

Aren't you in CS or telecommunications or something?

I'll be persuing an MBA in finance or information technology, I don't know which yet. I've been out of school for a year and have grown addicted to paychecks. I dread the thought of living like a bum for an extra 2 years, but I'm pretty sure I can't work 40 hours while in graduate school.

How do I get information about different MBA programs?

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
        I'll be persuing an MBA in finance or information technology, I don't know which yet. I've been out of school for a year and have grown addicted to paychecks. I dread the thought of living like a bum for an extra 2 years, but I'm pretty sure I can't work 40 hours while in graduate school.

How do I get information about different MBA programs?
        If you know of MBA programs you'd like to go to then just check the websites and they should have a graduate link on the department sites with application and program information. If you don't know of ones, then you can either check websites of universities in your general area or see if you can find a listing online. You should also ask any professionals in the area you might know what programs are good. You'll want to ideally go to one that has a good reputation among companies you'd be interested in working for.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Re: Graduate school

Originally posted by Siggie
          Whether you can handle working while you're in graduate school depends on the program. Judging from previous comments about how grossly underpaid psych majors are and how it's among the worst majors in that regard, I'm highly doubtful that you'd be in that field. I don't know how valuable my opinion would be to you then.

Siggie are you a psych major? I just finished my BS in Pyschology and will be looking into a masters program and different schools. How do you like it and where do you go?

Comment

You definitely want to reduce your work hours drastically (ideally 0 hrs) your 1st semester, because you don't want to risk messing up & getting probation. Wouldn't it be great to start off with a gpa of 4.0? It's only 2 years out of your entire life, do your best! You'll be happier & probably make much more $ than now. Find your best potential by not working your 1st semester, & you'll have a good feel of how you can do in school. Remember, classes tend to get harder, so start of with the highest gpa possible. Anyways, you're gonna study what you love, right? Then, you'll be happy!

Comment

I think most people are talking about 4+ years.

In my case... it's been 7 so far.

It is good to be cautious at first though. Unfortunately it's not always an option.

Comment

I'm looking into graduate school info -- although I have a full time job and looking at some online distance learning programs.

The thing is I worry that I may not be motivated enough outside of the college environment.

Also, sometimes my job requires me to travel for weeks at a time with long work hours and I have no idea how to deal with that.

Comment

Be upfront. Call the programs you are interested in and explain the need for travel and ask if they can work with you.

Comment

What is your area (aka "major")? In some cases and with certain schools you can do that and in other cases you can't so that's why I ask. But it is almost always better to take some time away from work and really focus on the school and get it done. Otherwise, it'll just drag on forever (and it gets harder as time goes on).
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                    X