Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Declaring Concentrations-Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declaring Concentrations-Help Please

I am declaring my majors/minors in September, and need some help deciding. I know I want to double up, but what fields would be the best choices, and what should go where? I have more or less decided on Arabic, Armenian, Persian, Turkish Studies (with focus on Armenian) as a major with a Eastern European Studies minor, and Russian Language and Lit as a major with French Language and Lit minor. These are all things that interest me, and I feel I can excell in, but...How much can I really do with these majors besides going to grad school and teaching/publishing...?

I want to choose things that interest me, but I feel like I will have no work prospects with a BA in these fields to even support myself while Im in grad school. Whats the good of having this knowledge if it isnt useful? Even United Nations has no reason to want me with just a BA.

What are some things you can think of that I could look into for work?? Should I choose another field like something in anthropology or sociology to have something more practical to work with?

Psych!
    anthro and psych would be good imo.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Ok, I'm not just gonna copy your major. lol Did you even read what iii like?

Comment

I wanted to tell you this before when you mentioned majoring in Armenian studies, but didn't wanna dissapoint you . We all, to some extent, would love to just study about our culture and history, but the reality is there isn't money in it. Unless you go all the way, and make it as a university professor or something, but still... you don't have that many options and back ups. But if it really interests you, you can minor in lets say anthropology. I don't know what you like, so I can't really help you choose a major. But I think, from what I've seen, you would make a good lawyer . Find out if your college has a program that helps you choose a major.

Comment

Well I can go to law school with any BA lol pretty much

My choices would let me speak four languages by graduation. That would be a great thing alone, dont you think?

I have not ruled out law school, cool that you notice that I have an aptitude for law, its like what I wanted to go into since 8th grade.

I guess I could do international law, or be an attorney with United Nations or something.

The things is...I really wanna teach.

Comment

Just do what you like and what you think you can handle. Never mind the future or job prospects. They will all come in time. I know many people who graduated in one thing and ended up working a whole different job. Think of it this way: you're not just learning your major; you're also learning how to learn and how to apply your knowlegde. This is much more important than knowing facts, and very often it's what employers will be looking for.

Comment

As for a BA, why don't you just go for an MA?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
                My choices would let me speak four languages by graduation. That would be a great thing alone, dont you think?
                yes - very much so. With such you can practically write your own ticket. Plus think of all the nice travel you will be doing - perhaps living in some interesting places while your learning the languages (and after - working for some international corporation, agency or what have you...could be worse...) - etc - sounds like a plan to me!

Comment

nairi, I WILL get an MA, but I have to have a BA to apply for an MA, and I need to work with my BA to pay for the MA. You're right about people not ending up doing what they studied, isnt that funny? Life is so weird.

wino, I plan to learn others once I have these down. My English will help me with the Germanics, my Russian will help me with the Slavics, and my French will help me with the Romances. Armenian is just a special case you could say. lol Do you think I would have good opportunities with a BA then? I dont mind living abroad to work, the languages I chose all have nice places. lol

One of my professors told me I should get certified to teach English as a second language abroad. She said there is a certification program I could do in Canada without majoring in English. A relative of hers does it and makes $50 USD living in whichever country she feels like. I could practice my languages, gain experience, and save up money for grad school at the same time. Maybe thats what I will do after all...what do you think??

Comment

Knowing one or more languages (besides [and including] English) really well is the ticket for lots of things. Doesn't matter if you just have a BA - they will train you to what they need you for - the language capability is ussually the biggest hurdle. You might find it useful to pretend that you already know a language or two and check around for available jobs. Go on some corporate or international organizational websites and see what is being offered. Oh I should caution you that its not necessarily so easy to learn all these languages (and I certainly know it - 4 years of French..yeah - I finally did make it to French 2! - true story...argh)

Comment

Working...
                    X