Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia Allots $200,000 in Assistance to Victims of Katrina Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenia Allots $200,000 in Assistance to Victims of Katrina Hurricane

Armenia Allots $200,000 in Assistance to Victims of Katrina Hurricane

Yerevan, September 9, Armenpress: The Armenian government approved on Thursday $200,000 in assistance to victims of Hurricane Katrina. Deputy foreign minister Arman Kirakossian said the money will be released from government's reserve fund and will be transferred on a special US government bank account early next week.

Kirakosian said it will take the US government a long time to recover the area hit by the disaster, adding also that the Armenian government is ready to provide another assistance, should the US government ask for it. He said Armenia had offered rescuers, doctors in the first days of the disaster. He said though Armenia's assistance is modest and symbolic in view of the magnitude of damages assessed at around $100 billion, but 'it is very important for Armenia to demonstrate its solidarity with the people of USA, because they were among the first nations to rush to help Armenians in the aftermath of 1988 earthquake that destroyed northern parts of the country."

He also recalled that Armenia has been one of the world's leading per-capita recipients of U.S. economic assistance that has totaled $1.6 billion since its independence. In a related development, Archbishop Khajag Barsamian, Primate of the Eastern Diocese of the Armenian Church in the USA, issued a new directive to local parish leaders on September 7, further outlining relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina.

In the directive, the Primate asked local parishes to conduct two special plate collections during services on September 11 and 18. Half of the money raised will go towards relief efforts being conducted by Church World Service and the other half will go directly to the Armenian Church of Baton Rouge to be distributed to parishioners in the New Orleans area as needed.

it's great that armenia wants to act out this "symbolic" gesture
    but...

armenia is just like an armenian
    it likes to live in a small apartment without much money while driving a mercedes and dressing all fancy for all to see

(i know i'm generalizing, but hopefully you get the point)

Comment

Well, when a poor country like Bangladesh gives one million dollars for Katrina relief, it's kinda nice to know our country helped as well. With whatever it could!

Besides, I'm sure having a stronger bond with the U.S. is way more important for Armenian than the use of that $ 200,000.

Comment

yup. what i posted is just an observation everyone else is sure to make. i'm more critical of armenia's current position than the "symbolic" gesture toward the US, which i think is kind of cute.

now let me add one more thing. that "government reserve fund," to which the article refers, probably doesnt exist. we all know that given the corrupt leadership of what remains of armenia, that $200,000 is going to be wrung out of armenian citizens and given to the US for show.

having said that, it is also true the given all the aid from the US that armenia has received over the years, it is somewhat of a duty for armenia to come up with a decent sum and offer it to the US. i'm just skeptical of how the government has actually accumulated that money.

Comment

Originally posted by thedebutante
          that "government reserve fund," to which the article refers, probably doesnt exist. we all know that given the corrupt leadership of what remains of armenia, that $200,000 is going to be wrung out of armenian citizens and given to the US for show.
          It's funny how you guys strongly disapprove the country's current government and use the phrase "what remains of Armenia" when the country is getting better and better by the day! When was Armenia in a better shape than it is today (referring to the "what remains of Armenia" phrase)?

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
            It's funny how you guys strongly disapprove the country's current government and use the phrase "what remains of Armenia" when the country is getting better and better by the day! When was Armenia in a better shape than it is today (referring to the "what remains of Armenia" phrase)?

well, armenia is in "great" shape. unfortunately i can't say the same about its people. i was there a few weeks ago doing some missionary work at a few clinics, and while the center (yerevan and all the happening places) is looking more and more euro by the day, you should see the people, esp. those in the villages. so ya, there is a reason why we say the things that we say.

to answer your question, armenia was in better shape when it owned all it contained and when its people had a decent means of living (yes there was a time and i'm sure you know when). maybe i should start a thread about the privatization of armenia and how you now have to pay a fee to enjoy the beautiful shore of lake sevan, whereas before, it was free for all (that and many other examples).
            Last edited by thedebutante; 09-17-2005, 12:27 AM.

Comment

btw, thanks for posting that article. i hope you dont think that the basis of my argument is against armenia's aid to the US. i'm just worried that such a sum was more an extra burden on the people than actual surplus set aside for such an event.

Comment

theredutante has spoken. Hey comrade, let's go chill on Abovyan.

Comment

let's go to mashtots street (formerly prospect) and get my hair done. then we can go to bagramian where they have water all day 'cause it's mainly government buildings.

edit: love the subtle way of calling deb a commie. so cute. let's also do the parajanov museum. my treat.

Comment

Then we'll go visit Karo in Leninakan!

Comment

Working...
                    X