Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Do Pretty People Earn More?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Pretty People Earn More?

I actually researched this sin in my PS Statistics class, we were talking about how statistics show that taller people tend to earn more. So here's an article touching up on a similar area.

Studies show attractive students get more attention and higher evaluations from their teachers, good-looking patients get more personalized care from their doctors, and handsome criminals receive lighter sentences than less attractive convicts. But how much do looks matter at work?

The ugly truth, according to economics professors Daniel Hamermesh of the University of Texas and Jeff Biddle of Michigan State University, is that plain people earn 5 to 10 percent less than people of average looks, who in turn earn 3 to 8 percent less than those deemed good-looking.

These findings concur with other research that shows the penalty for being homely exceeds the premium for beauty and that, across all occupations, the effects are greater for men than women.

A London Guildhall University survey of 11,000 33-year-olds found that unattractive men earned 15 percent less than those deemed attractive, while plain women earned 11 percent less than their prettier counterparts. In their report "Beauty, Productivity and Discrimination: Lawyers', Looks and Lucre," Hamermesh and Biddle found that the probability of a male attorney attaining early partnership directly correlates with how handsome he is.

Size matters, too. A study released last year by two professors at the University of Florida and the University of North Carolina found that tall people earn considerably more money throughout their careers than their shorter coworkers, with each inch adding about $789 a year in pay.

A survey of male graduates of the University of Pittsburgh found that the tallest students' average starting salary was 12 percent higher than their shorter colleagues'. The London Guildhall study showed that overweight women are more likely to be unemployed, and that those who are working earn on average five percent less than their trimmer peers.

According to Dr. Gordon Patzer, who has spent over three decades studying and writing about physical attractiveness, human beings are hard-wired to respond more favorably to attractive people. Even studies of babies show they will look more intently and longer at prettier faces.

"Good-looking men and women are generally judged to be more talented, kind, honest and intelligent than their less attractive counterparts," says Patzer. "Controlled studies show people go out of their way to help attractive people - of the same and opposite sex - because they want to be liked and accepted by good-looking people."
    This may not sound too pretty to those of us who were dealt a bad hand in the looks department. But don't rush off to try out for the next round of Extreme Makeover just yet.

Despite what the research tells us, some of the world's most successful people have been ordinary looking at best, and you would never mistake the faces in Fortune for the faces in Esquire or Entertainment Weekly. Business legends are often of average height (Bill Gates at 5'9˝") or even diminutive (Jack Welch, 5'8", and Ross Perot at 5'7"). What's more, many folks who are lovely to look at complain that they lose out on jobs because people assume they are vacuous or "lightweights."

How does this reconcile with all the research? Hiring managers say it is the appearance of confidence they find attractive, not the presence of physical beauty. And they contend that attractiveness has more to do with how you carry yourself and the energy you exude – rather than having perfect features or a great physique.

Article

Originally posted by spiral
    I actually researched this sin in my PS Statistics class, we were talking about how statistics show that taller people tend to earn more. So here's an article touching up on a similar area.
    That's the oldest statistics trick in the book (well, ever since NBA players started making millions) It's like that classic adage about how the average yearly salary for a person with a geography degree from University of North Carolina was like $500K a year... well they failed to mention Michael Jordan was one of them.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

I'm underpaid. I guess I'm ugly.

Comment

Poor kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
          That's the oldest statistics trick in the book (well, ever since NBA players started making millions) It's like that classic adage about how the average yearly salary for a person with a geography degree from University of North Carolina was like $500K a year... well they failed to mention Michael Jordan was one of them.

Yeah...statistics have a way with misleading... I like that.

Comment

I guess I'm average-looking then.

Comment

Don't know about this one.
              I'm super sexy and I'm unemployed so the rule is flawed. ... no wait. I got that the wrong way, I'm incredibly ugly but I've got a kickass salary.

Comment

I truly believe I'm overpaid. But it has nothing to do with my looks. That's just coincidence.

Comment

Attractiveness is completely subjective for one and a correlation doesn't mean causation. Maybe people who earn more are able to spend more on their appearance. You don't get a fancy new haircut when you're barely making rent.

Classic examples in that article of "regression to the mean". We use mental shortcuts (heuristics if you want to read up on it) to make inferences about probabilities and estimation of frequencies and such we tend to make the same systematic errors in computation.

Extremely good looking people are not going to as smart as they are good looking for example, so people perceive a negative relationship.
                  If you're very good at one thing you can usually do an above average job at another, but not as good as the first. For example, Michael Jordan playing basketball vs. baseball.
                  It works across persons too... Michael Jordan's son will likely be an above average athelete, but not as great as his father.

For more you can read the classic article by Tversky and Kahneman (1974) called Judgements under uncertainty: Hueristics and biases. I'll even send the pdf to anyone interested.
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                  -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

That's a very interesting take on it. I like.
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                    X