Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

I was truly afraid for Preservation Hall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was truly afraid for Preservation Hall.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band reunites in NYC
    Members scattered to escape Hurricane Katrina but spirit lives on.

NEW YORK - John Brunious flew in from an evacuation center in Arkansas, wearing donated clothes and carrying a borrowed trumpet, his voice shot from swallowing polluted floodwater.

The 64-year-old leader of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band went straight from the plane to a Manhattan TV studio for a reunion with the world’s ambassadors of New Orleans jazz. The musicians could play only one tune that night. Everyone agreed it should be “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?”

“I was so happy to see that the others were OK, because I knew what I had just come from,” said Brunious, 64, who was treated for dehydration at an Arkansas hospital after enduring days without food and water at the horrific New Orleans Convention Center. “I was very emotional because I really wanted to sing that song to let the world know that we do know what it means to miss New Orleans.”

Long tradition of jazz
    For more than 40 years, the Preservation Hall musicians have spread their infectious, joyful rhythms from African villagers to British royalty, from the White House to the former Soviet Union.

Jazz lovers from around the world have made the pilgrimage to pass through Preservation Hall’s wrought-iron gates at 726 St. Peter Street. Inside the dimly lit hall with no air conditioning, fans sat on benches or cushions spread on the rough wooden floor as they listened to pure, unadulterated, traditional New Orleans jazz.

Despite their worldwide renown, the Preservation Hall musicians remain deeply rooted in their local neighborhoods, where such legends as Buddy Bolden, King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton and Louis Armstrong created jazz nearly a century ago.

“I think the band is one of the most honest reflections of New Orleans,” said bassist Benjamin Jaffe, 34, Preservation Hall’s director. “We don’t live in an ivory tower. We live with our communities and care for our communities.

“We all feel that we were down and then we got kicked, and that’s a terrible place to feel right now,” he said during an interview at the Manhattan office of the distributor for the Preservation Hall Recordings label, where his staff is working until they can return home.

Four of the band’s eight musicians had their homes destroyed in the deluge. Three of them — Brunious, pianist Rickie Monie and drummer Joseph Lastie, Jr. — also lost their prized instruments.

Preservation Hall itself dates back to a private residence built in 1750, when New Orleans was still a French colony. Like most of the French Quarter, the building suffered only minimal damage from Katrina, its stone walls and thick wooden shutters holding firm against yet another hurricane.

First separation in years
    The band last performed at Preservation Hall on Aug. 27, a Saturday night, one day before Katrina hit. They played for about 20 people, one of the smallest crowds since the hall was founded by Jaffe’s parents in 1961 in a former art gallery. The performance ended early so the musicians could get out of town.

Jaffe arranged a car and nurse to evacuate 96-year-old retired banjo player Narvin Kimball, the last surviving member of the original Preservation Hall band. Jaffe fled the day after Katrina struck, leaving his bass behind and driving with his wife and two dogs to New York City.

In the ensuing days, Jaffe desperately tried to track down his fellow musicians. It was the first time he could remember that the band — most of whom lived within a few miles of each other — had been separated for so long.

Most of the group evacuated before the storm struck. The pianist, Monie, took refuge with his family for almost a week on the upper floor of an office building with their own stock of provisions. But it took almost 10 days for Jaffe to find Brunious.

A scion of one of the city’s legendary musical families, the lifelong New Orleans resident watched from the window of his ground floor apartment on Elysian Fields Avenue as the waters surged over his truck and two Cadillacs. Then the water entered Brunious’ home, engulfing his seven trumpets, his new stereo system, his suits and shirts and ties.

He retreated upstairs to his landlady’s apartment, watching the water creep up the staircase step by step, until some neighbors drove by in a motorboat.

“They picked me and some other neighbors up and brought us to this school,” Brunious said. “I had nothing besides what I was wearing, my wallet was soaking wet, and I had one thong shoe and one bare foot because the other shoe came off in the water.”

Brunious ended up at the convention center. He slept on the floor for four days, hungry, thirsty and in constant fear of being attacked by marauding youths.

“I would say that the city, state and national government just turned their backs on us because we didn’t get anything to eat or drink, there was no law and order, and no plan,” Brunious said by telephone from a New Jersey hotel that was temporarily housing some of the band.

After the National Guard arrived, Brunious was bused to Houston, then Dallas, and eventually an evacuation center in Conway, Ark. Volunteers gave him some clothes and helped him contact Jaffe. A Little Rock music store owner loaned him a trumpet.

Fighting on
    Brunious landed on Sept. 9, in the middle of a BET telethon that included a Preservation Hall performance at the end. Brunious normally would have sung the lyrics to “New Orleans” (made famous by Louis Armstrong), but a bad cough prevented him from performing. He yielded the lyrics to banjo player Carl Le Blanc.

“We’re not going to let a hurricane stop our music. This music is too important to the musicians and people of New Orleans, and to the people of the world,” Brunious said. “This music is our treasure and we want to share it.”

Jaffe is now scrambling to prepare for a previously arranged international tour that begins in Thailand on Sept. 28 — securing new passports, outfitting the musicians and replacing missing instruments. “I don’t know when Preservation Hall will reopen, but all I know is that it will reopen,” Jaffe said.

“What my real dream is that when we reopen that it will be without fanfare and like all the other nights that Preservation Hall has been open. Because then I’ll know that New Orleans is back on its feet again, that everybody’s safe, healthy and cared for, and that’s when I’ll feel like my job is done.”

© 2005 The Associated Press.

cool

We have a local band (that I've done some video work for) (and that I think you would like - I've turned a bunch of folks on to them...) called the Dixie Power Trio - well worth checking out - they do an outrageous version of Stairway to heaven using Tuba, acordion and bass - worth hearing (think its on their "Out of Control" album...of course I have several live tapes of it as well) - as is all their other quite varied musical arrangements (occasionally they do a big band set up that is something - though their 3-4 piece set up is just fine - very entertaining)

Check out our great live bands that play weddings, corporate events, and private parties in your area.

Official web site:

Comment

Working...
    X