Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Irony of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irony of religion

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
    If you can make me happy then maybe.

What the world needs is either no god at all, or tens of thousands of little gods and goddesses. And have them as personal as possible. Not just the God of comfy shoes, but the God of my specific comfy shoes.
    The problem I have with placing man at the center of the altar is that man is an imperfect phuck up. Modernity, and indeed, modern culture with all its venues of 'atheists' and 'agnostics' and other 'clever' minds who have solved all the riddles of man in the delusional confines of their mind like to believe in the nonsense that man is the measure of all things.

The exaltation and deification of man to saintly status is absurd, and it only comes at the expense of his spiritual qualities. Those who believe man is the measure of all things and not God assume that man is a finished product and doesn't need to be transformed.

One thing I have learned from Nietzsche is that man must be overcome. I love Nietzsche with a passion. But why would I love the philosophy of a man who proclaimed that God is dead? It is because I see no contradiction between his philosophy and that of mine. Excelsior!
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
      eeeeeeeeh ... what do you expect from religious people? If they were open minded enough to consider other possibilities, they wouldn't really be "religious" now, would they?
      You mean, as open minded as the fanatics who grindingly hold on to the dogma of logic?

Originally posted by Sip
      So I don't think asking why religious people feel so strongly is the right question. It's like asking why fat people weigh more than skinny people. The correct question would be why are there religious people at all, especially in this day and age?
      The question can be rephrased, why do you feel so strongly about the religion of anti-religion?

The problem with the sort of naive questions with which you ended with is that, it fails to take into account that religion is natural to man and that all his endeavors are nothing but religions, as is the case of your extreme faith in logic, and rationalism to the point where you have to go out of your way to belittle those that express a faith of a different kind. Faith is faith, treat them all the same.
      Last edited by Anonymouse; 03-18-2006, 09:26 PM.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by parthiapride
        I also have a feeling you and TomServo are the same person, same stupdity exemplified in both your posts...
        You didn't know TomServo was my alias?

Originally posted by Anahita
        Re-read what you wrote, hun.
        . . .

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
          It's a riddle. Figure it out!
          Here is a little more…

--Coldplay, Clocks
          Lights go out and I can't be saved

--Billy Joel, You May Be Right
          Turn out the lights
          Don't try to save me
          You may be wrong for all I know
          But you may be right.

--One, U2
          Have you come here for forgiveness?
          Have you come to raise the dead?
          Have you come here to play Jesus?

-- Please Don't Turn Out the Lights, Bee Gees
          so baby…
          If your turned out the light, if you turned out the light,
          Please don't turn out the light, please don't turn out the light
          Turn out the lights

--Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway), Billy Joel
          To tell the world about...
          The way the lights went out

“The largest electrical power outage in American history blacked out portions of eight American States, which included New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Michigan, Ohio, and Massachusetts, and the Canadian Province of Ontario, affecting nearly sixty million people.
          The occurrence at around 4.00pm EST on Thursday the 14th of August 2003…

This major shut down affected practically every entity dependent upon electrical power, trains, planes, and practically every other mode of transportation, automobile manufacturing plants, Metro system subways, traffic lights, water pumping stations, sewage plants, gas stations, even Wall Street.
          Hospitals, fortunately in most cases have generator back-up systems. ”

--Guerilla Radio, Rage Against the Machine
          Lights out. Guerilla radio.

--Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvanah
          With the lights out it’s less dangerous
          Here we are now
          Entertain us

--Lights Out, Lisa Marie Presley
          Someone turned the lights out there in Memphis

--Bad Day, REM
          The lights went out, the oil ran dry
          We blamed it on the other guy
          Sure, all men are created equal.
          Here’s the church, here’s the steeple

--Stairway to heaven Lyrics, Led Zeppelin
          Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven…
          There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
          'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings

--Patience, Guns and Roses
          Sit here on the stairs
          'Cause I'd rather be alone
          If I can't have you right now, I'll wait dear…
          Said sugar take the time
          'Cause the lights are shining bright…
          I ain't got time for the game

--Real World, Matchbox 20
          If i was someone else, would this all fall apart
          Strange, where were you, when we started this game

--Jesus Was An Alien, Matchbox 20

--Renegades of Funk, Rage Against the Machine
          From a different solar system many many galaxies away
          We are the force of another creation
          A new musical revelation
          And we're on this musical mission to help the others listen.
          Now renegades are the people with their own philosophies
          They change the course of history
          Everyday people like you and me

--Bright Lights, Matchbox 20
          She took all except my name
          Another alien on Broadway
          Baby, baby, baby
          When all your love is gone
          Who will save me?…
          But if the bright lights don't receive you
          You should turn yourself around
          And come on home

“When a child touches a harmless snake for the first time, compares leaf shapes, and counts the birds in her aural space while blindfolded, she is learning to read the oldest and largest book of all. THIS BOOK’s content rivals that of all the world's libraries - hard copy and electronic - forever. A large conserved wildland is a Web site containing hundreds of thousands of variously integrated Web sites. I will bet any day on the bioliterate person against the bioculturally deprived, be the arena second-guessing the Nasdaq, walking a beat, or writing ad copy for the iMac. The intelligent Web site will obtain the same value-added from being bioliterate.

And perhaps being bioliterate just might keep the carbon-based Web site in the game a bit longer as we go about our homogenization of humanity and machine. http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

--Guerilla Radio, Rage Against the Machine
          Lights out. Guerilla radio.

“How a butterfly's wing can bring down Goliath Chaos theories calculate the vulnerability of megasystems?”

“When a system becomes extremely complex, a normally survivable event -- say, a lightning strike like the one Canadians initially suspected in Thursday's blackout -- can trigger what scientists call a devastating domino effect. The effect is well-known to physics experts in the fields of complexity theory, chaos theory and the theory of self-organized criticality…
          The mysteries of particle physics are child's play compared with the forecasting of weather, riots, stock market wobbles, fluctuations in animal populations and other so-called nonlinear events.”

San Francisco Chronicle

--Domino, Van Morrison
          Lord, have mercy
          I said oh-oh, Domino

--New Mother Nature, Guess Who
          'Cause it's the new Mother Nature taking over
          It's the new Splendid Lady come to call
          It's the new Mother Nature taking over
          She's gettin' us all

Last edited by Anahita; 03-19-2006, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I'll take shytty music for $1000, Alex.

Comment

Get a haircut!

Originally posted by Anahita
              'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
              'Cause it's the new Mother Nature taking over
              --Witchy Woman
              Sparks fly from her finger tips
              Echoed voices in the night
              She’s a restless spirit on an endless flight
              Wooo hooo witchy woman, see how
              High she flies

Monty Python And The Holy Grail
              WITCH: I'm not a witch. I'm not a witch.
              BEDEMIR: But you are dressed as one.
              WITCH: They dressed me up like this.
              CROWD: Burn her! Witch! Witch! Burn her!
              BEDEMIR: Did you dress her up like this?
              CROWD: No, no... no ... yes. Yes, yes, a bit, a bit.

--Sacred Love, Sting
              You're my religion, you're my church
              You're the holy grail at the end of my search...
              The spirit moves on the water
              She takes the shape of this heavenly daughter
              She's rising up like a river in flood
              The word got made into flesh and blood
              The sky grew dark, and the earth she shook

I told you, I'll float.
              Last edited by Anahita; 03-19-2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

"I can hip-hop, be-bop, dance till ya drop, and yo yo make a mean cup of coco." -- Mrs. Euphegenia Doubtfire

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
                  "I can hip-hop, be-bop, dance till ya drop, and yo yo make a mean cup of coco." -- Mrs. Euphegenia Doubtfire
                  --She bop, Cindy Lauper
                  She bop--he bop--a--we bop
                  I bop--you bop--a--they bop
                  Be bop--be bop--a--lu--she bop,
                  I... hope... He... will understand

"It was a run-by fruiting..." -- Mrs. Euphegenia Doubtfire

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                      The question can be rephrased, why do you feel so strongly about the religion of anti-religion?
                      I don't. I don't believe strongly about any religion (including the anti-religion as you mean it). I know you'll come back saying that that is a religion in and of itself ... but that is leading towards the discussion of a tautology in which I am not very interested in participating. In other words, I don't think it's worthwhile to discuss a notion x, when the presence and absence of x are both labeled as x.

So in order to clarify what I was referring to with religion, I mean religion as something that falls under either of these definitions:

1. RELIGION beliefs and worship: people’s beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life

2. RELIGION particular system: a particular institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine

Anyone who forms ANY religion that falls under any of the two definitions as above, really only has to do so by "faith" because the divine is by definition super natural and not really subject to "verification" by our limited senses. So I guess that is also why I would advocate the "anti-religion" as you call it, and how it is different than religion. But the anti-religion I have doesn't say that "there is no God" ... it just says that religion can't be proven right so there is really no reason to "believe" in it as The Truth (it's the tired old agnostic/atheist/etc debate).
                      Last edited by Sip; 03-19-2006, 09:18 PM.
                      this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                      X