Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Irony of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irony of religion

Why do people feel so strongly for their religion? I don't understand. If you can tell me something new, please do.

I’m no expert in how people think in religious terms, but I do have a few questions and comments. These are my thoughts, only thoughts (not exactly beliefs), but interesting never-the-less, I think I’ll share them.

To those who are Christian who speak derogatory towards xxxish people: wasn’t’ Jesus a J-w?

To those who think Judiasm is the only right religion, doesn’t the god of the old testament admit there are other gods? I am a jealous god. Thou shall have no other, BEFORE ME.

Many other religions fight about God. Seems a bit ironic, to me. Given that in almost every text I know, that is not welcome. Ironic, NO?

Isn’t the Old Testament very clear that the ‘we’ is something that is not what is understood in current vernacular?

This is all very improv, so excuse my informality.

--IMAGINE, John Lennon
    Imagine there's no heaven,
    it's easy if you try,
    no hell below us,
    above us only sky.
    Imagine all the people,
    living for today yu-huh.

Imagine there's no countries,
    it isn't hard to do,
    nothing to kill or die for,
    and no religion too.
    Imagine all the people,
    living life in peace yu-huh.

You may say I'm a dreamer
    but I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us,
    and the world will live as one.

Imagine no possesions,
    I wonder if you can,
    no need for greed or hunger,
    a brotherhood of man.
    Imagine all the people,
    sharing all the world yu-huh.

but I'm not the only one
    and the world will be as one. Imagine there's no heaven,
    it's easy if you try,
    no hell below us,
    above us only sky.
    Imagine all the people,
    living for today yu-huh.

Imagine there's no countries,
    it isn't hard to do,
    nothing to kill or die for,
    and no religion too.
    Imagine all the people,
    living life in peace yu-huh.

but I'm not the only one
    and the world will live as one.

Imagine no possesions,
    I wonder if you can,
    no need for greed or hunger,
    a brotherhood of man.
    Imagine all the people,
    sharing all the world yu-huh.

but I'm not the only one
    and the world will be as one.

Re: Irony of religion

Imagine there's no Lennon.
    It's easy since he's dead.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
      Imagine there's no Lennon.
      It's easy since he's dead.
      Funny, TomServo.

I actually said something like that (re: the song)... It is really easy to imagine, if you're dead! Still, though, there's another message. I think he's onto something, there.

What are your beliefs about God/god(s), Tom? Or anyone else...
      Last edited by Anahita; 03-18-2006, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anahita
        To those who are Christian who speak derogatory towards xxxish people: wasn’t’ Jesus a J-w?
        Jesus was a Jew, but Jewish people don't accept Him as their savior. They believe he was just a regular man, and were the reason He was crucified. So when Christian's speak about Jew's in a negative way, it's because of this. We believe Jesus was God's son, they don't.

Also, religion gives people strength. It's a reason for them to be better people. They look to God for help, and through him, they become better people and have the strength to move on through life's struggles.

Comment

And why is this thread in the "Jokes & Humor" forum?

Comment

Here are some quotes from "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels & Demons" that I found interesting.

Robert: "Those who truly understand their faiths understand the stories are metaphorical."

Sophie: "My friends who are devout Christians definently believe that Christ literally walked on water, literally turned water into wine, and was born a literal virgin birth."

Robert: "My point exactly. Religious allegory has become a part of the fabric of reality. And living in that reality helps millions of people cope and be better people."

Sophie: "But it appears their reality is false."

---

Vittoria: "Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised. In the end, though, we are all proclaiming the same thing. That life has meaning. That we are grateful for the power that created us."

Robert: "So you're saying that whether you are a Christian or a Muslim simply depends on where you were born?"

Vittoria: "Isn't that obvious? Look at the diffusion of religion around the globe."

Robert: "So faith is random?"

Vittoria: "Hardly. Faith is universal. Our specific methods for understanding it are arbitrary. Some of us pray to Jesus, some of us go to Mecca, some of study subatomic particles. In the end we are all just searching for truth, that which is greater than ourselves."

Robert: "And God? Do you believe in God?"

Vittoria: "Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to."

---

Chartrand: "Terrible things happen in this world. Human tragedy seems like proof that God could not possibly be both all-powerful and well-meaning. If He loves us and has the power to change our situation, He would prevent our pain, wouldn't He?"

Camerlengo: "Would He?"

Chartrand: "Well.. If God loves us, and He can protect us, He would have to. It seems He is either omnipotent and uncarring, or benevolent and powerless to help."

Camerlengo: "Do you have children, Lieutenant?"

Chartrand: "No, signore."

Camerlengo: "Imagine you had an eight-year-old son.. Would you love him?"

Chartrand: "Of course."

Camerlengo: "Would you let him skateboard?"

Chartrand: "Yeah, I guess. Sure, I'd let him skateboard, but I'd tell him to be careful."

Camerlengo: "So as this child's father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes? But what if he fell and skinned his knee?"

Chartrand: "He would learn to be more careful."

Camerlengo: "So although you have the power to interfere and prevent your child's pain, you would choose to show your love by letting him learn his own lessons?"

Chartrand: "Of course. Pain is part of growing up. It's how we learn."

Camerlengo: "Exactly."

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
              Jesus was a Jew, but Jewish people don't accept Him as their savior. They believe he was just a regular man, and were the reason He was crucified. So when Christian's speak about Jew's in a negative way, it's because of this. We believe Jesus was God's son, they don't.

Also, religion gives people strength. It's a reason for them to be better people. They look to God for help, and through him, they become better people and have the strength to move on through life's struggles.
              Here's how I see that... Was Jesus the God? Not as I know (but that gets into metaphysics). Jesus wouldn't even say that he was. He is an amazing, and 'god-blessed' person (for lack of better terms.) He, even if he was God in a body, spoke of the higher God. Maybe he was a reflection of God-ness on Earth. For CERTAIN, he had some great things to say and teach. I don't know about this whole idea of 'saviour' though. That idea seems to stem from later. But, to blame anyone now for what happened then (2000 years ago) seems very odd (how long can one hold a grudge! )

No image of. Jesus, I would think, would be sad about these images of pain on a cross in the name of love. That's a sad image. Not what I think of divinity.

Comment

You should do a little research.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
                  You should do a little research.
                  Elaborate.

Comment

Jesus was God's son. He was sent to Earth to do what he had to do. People didn't believe him, treated him wrong, and had him crucified. The Jew's are responsible for his death, and they don't believe He was God's son. That's basically it, to answer your first question.

Comment

Working...
                    X