Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Loyalty to good mechanics/shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loyalty to good mechanics/shops

There is lots of publicity for con-men and less-than-honest mechanics and shops. But, I’ve had different experiences. I want those guys to get rewarded for being honest and generous. How can you best ‘reward’ honest and generous mechanics? Repeat business, only? How else?

Have other people had GOOD experiences with mechanics?

My recent examples: Awhile ago (Feb?), I had an electrical problem with my Jeep. For various reasons, I had to take it to the dealer. Shortly after that, I was driving on the highway and the hood flew up and smashed my window at 60mph. I managed to get the hood back down to see. I was outside of New Glarus, a tiny town, and drove on the edge of the road to a tiny body shop on the edge of the tiny town. The owner of the shop managed to wire the hood shut (it latched, too)—but when he tried the hood release, it came off in his hand. This body shop owner did all of that (30 minutes work, maybe) and refused to take money from me for his help.

I later got an estimate to fix that all from another dealer and it was several thousands of dollars. So, I just drove with it wired shut until now (I don’t put many miles on my car). Now, I needed an oil change. Today I called another small-town shop (different town) and asked them if they’d be able to even open the hood. They said, ‘sure.’ So, these 5 guys at the oil place spent an hour on my car, charged me $27 (total, with the oil change) and offered to later install race-car pins to keep the hood shut (that I could buy and bring to them) for a few minutes labor charge for drilling and putting in.

(Oh, and if anyone thinks these racing pins to keep the hood closed are a bad idea, for any reason, please tell me.)

So, I really think the 'good guys' are getting a bad rap for what the few dishonest are doing... do you agree?
    Last edited by Anahita; 06-07-2006, 06:36 PM.

Re: Loyalty to good mechanics/shops

To reward a good mechanic by publicly praising, you should tell us who he is.

Comment

For mechanical work, stop by my uncle's shop - where I work. Discount Tire Centers. Simi Valley. We do excellent work, and always have the lowest prices.

I'm not just saying that because it's my uncle's shop. Honestly. Our prices are the best in any town. We give discounts for no reason. Sometimes I wonder how we make money. Plus, if you know me, my uncle will MAKE me give you a big discount. Basically, he'll charge you no labor.

Discount Tires. Simi Valley. Holla.

Oh, and in 3 weeks, we'll be on Sunset Blvd.

Comment

I am in no way affiliated with One-Way but I again fully endorse discount tire centers. Their road hazard warranty especially ... cannot be beat! Their prices also might not seem cheapest at first but if you include mount, balance, valve stems, etc, they are very competitive almost all the time. Too bad the closest one is about an hour away from me.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

All Discount Tire Centers will match or beat anyone's price. Got someone giving you tires for $500 out the door? We'll beat it!

Comment

Something odd just happened literally 10 mins ago... first a guy in the parking lot of a little store offered to buy my Jeep in cash, right there. Tempting, but I think he offered way too low.

Then, the clerk at the little shop saw my windshield (was broke a bit by the first incident and then more by hail later) as I left and gave me a number for his friend who will put a new one in beating any price I get. I told the clerk about the other guy... we both thought that was odd. (but not nearly as odd as most things in my life... )

For mechanical work, stop by my uncle's shop - where I work. Discount Tire Centers. Simi Valley.
            Next time I have a mechanical problem, I'll keep him in mind. Does he offer free towing to his shop, from Wisconsin?
            Last edited by Anahita; 06-10-2006, 04:47 PM.

Comment

LOL and OMG @ Anahita driving earth destroying Jeep SUV
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
                LOL and OMG @ Anahita driving earth destroying Jeep SUV
                OMG, we must be 'evil.'

Comment

Oh no ... you're not taking me down with you here. Mine's a TJ ... and FYI .. Check out #1 here.

But based on your hood flying open story, I doubt yours is the same
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
                    Oh no ... you're not taking me down with you here. Mine's a TJ ... and FYI .. Check out #1 here.

But based on your hood flying open story, I doubt yours is the same
                    I think that link you provided on the Global Warming thread was REALLY important! I do understand that gas mileage isn't the only measure (and a rather simplistic measure in whole) of harm done to the Earth by a particular car.

Quick example: Mitsubishi (sp?) made a huge publicity campaign about the harm being done by little subsistence farmers--while, they, at the same time, deforested more of the Amazon than all of them combined, by far (and failed to mention that Mitsubish-type of deforestation is permanent. Tiny swidden ag has been going on in the Amazon since people have been there, and if done in ways, can be good for the forest. That company is not good for the Amazon--last I KNEW. I wouldn't buy a car from them--regardless of fuel issues.

Plus, I always have this in my head about the ecological costs of making new cars. Yeah, they might use less gas, but do they (when viewed from the whole) do less harm. I gave the example of the single smelter providing raw materials for new cars will be responsible for 16% of loss of the Amazon, alone. This is the significant version of "Paper or plastic?" Maybe, "cloth bag" is a better choice.

When I taught at the University, there was a project for students that involved taking a simple item: like a pencil, an aluminum can with soda, or whatever. The students traced all of the materials required to produce that, where they came from, the local impacts of extraction, etc. When people think like that, they realize the whole chain of what happens.

Aside from that: The energy to make a single new aluminum can is = one gallon of gas.

I still have a love for Jeeps--one saved my life (with some other help, too.)
                    Last edited by Anahita; 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X