Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Armenian Chess Champions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Armenian Chess Champions!

The Best Player on the Armenian Team

[June 12, 2006]

The national chess team of Armenia has for the first time in history won the world chess Olympiad. The gold medals of the 37th Chess Olympiad in Turin were awarded to grand masters Levon Aronyan, Vladimir Akopyan, Karen Asryan, Smbat Lputyan, Gabriel Sargsyan, Artashes Minasyan and coaches Arshak Petrosyan and Tigran Nalbandyan.

The best result in our team was produced by Gabriel Sargsyan at Board #4, who played all thirteen matches and earned ten points with seven wins, six draws and no losses. Only one chess player - G rand Master Wang Yue from China had a better result (ten points, but out of twelve matches). With this result Sargsyan has raised his rating by 21 points.

Gabriel, you were the only member of our team who had played all 13 games and you had the second best result in the tournament. How would you assess your performance?

Of course, I'm pleased with the result, since our team won first place. We have never achieved such success. My standing was the best in my career and the most important. I hope that in the future I will have even better results.

This was your fourth Olympiad. What parallels would you draw between this Olympiad and the other three?

This time we set ourselves the task of taking first place. If in previous Olympiads we had the goal of getting into the top three and we successfully handled that this time, I think, third place would have been a normal result for us.

Which match that you played do you value the most?

From the chess point of view, I highly appreciate the match against Grand Master Erwin L'Ami from the Netherlands. But, in general, the most important match was with Alexander Morozevich.

Who were your hardest and easiest opponents?

The hardest opponent was Morozevich. As for the easy opponents, in accordance with the regulations, we met with them only in the initial rounds.

Before the Olympiad, bookmakers set odds for betting on Armenia at 10, whereas odds for Russia were 1.48. And, in general, there was a lot of talk about the Russian “dream team”. Did that have a psychological impact on our national team?

I, personally, only learned about these odds at the end of the tournament. Indeed, Russia is a very strong team; the ratings of its players are very high, but that's not enough for team competitions. Our desire to win and purposefulness were greater. Individually, they are stronger and I'm sure that as a team, we're no worse.

What were your feelings during the match with Morozevich, when our team was losing 1-2 and everything depended on your performance?

I got sad for a moment, when Lyova [Levon Aronyan] lost, but I had a better position and was confident that I would win. My win made up for Lyova's loss. The most important thing was not to lose to the Russians in order to keep them from leaving us far behind.

Was it for tactical reasons that our team ended its last two matches against France and Hungary in a draw?

Our duel with the French was very tense, perhaps, the most tense one in the tournament. When one feels that the objective is very close, one begins to get nervous and at this moment anything is possible. But we ended the match in a draw, which was a perfectly good result. There was no struggle with the Hungarians; we quickly agreed to a draw since this result would secure the championship. It's to our credit that we left our competitors so far behind that a draw in the last round was enough to win the tournament.

Had you ever thought about winning the Olympic gold medal?

I thought and dreamed about that a lot. This prize has great value, because it's not only ours—it's our country's as well.

Are you thinking about a team or individual world championship title?

I am sure we will become the world team champion. As for the individual championship, at this moment I'm thinking about Lyova's championship title [this fall Levon Aronyan will take part in the struggle for the world chess crown].

Are you going to continue to play in the German Bundesliga?

Yes. I am very close to Levon Aronyan, who lives in Germany, and it often happens that I go to Germany not to play chess but to visit Lyova. It happens that I also play at the same time. Most likely I'll play in Wattenscheid this year, too.

Interview by Vahe Sarukhanyan
    Achkerov kute.

Re: The Armenian Chess Champions!

Very good. Now move it to the Sports section.

Comment

Chess is a sport?!

Soon we'll be calling Scrabble a sport, and world champion GI Joel Sherman will have to be called an athlete:

Hmm, what became of the [img] tag?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
        Chess is a sport?!

Soon we'll be calling Scrabble a sport, and world champion GI Joel Sherman will have to be called an athlete:

Hmm, what became of the [img] tag?
        To my knowledge, it only wrorks in General Talk, General Armenian Talk and Jokes and Humor as well as Intellectual Lounge (I think). In any other place, it does not work.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

They played extremely well, great job.

If anyone ever wants to get a match going, I'm always available for one (though I'm not very good). And if anyone has info about chess organizations located around LA, let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ddd
            They played extremely well, great job.

If anyone ever wants to get a match going, I'm always available for one (though I'm not very good). And if anyone has info about chess organizations located around LA, let me know. Thanks.
            I suck at chess but I still play on yahoo games occasionally.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Searching for Tigran Petrosian.

Comment

Dude, let's play checkers.

Comment

Working...
                X