Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Problems With My Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With My Manager

Well, as most of you know, I finally found a job. My uncle owns a Discount Tire Centers, and I finally agreed to drive 45 minutes, and work with him. However, there's a little problem. I can never get along with my manager.

My uncle, the owner, is usually here 6 days out of the week. Just like me. Except, he bought a new location, and he hasn't been around much lately. Which only leaves me and the manager. The manager is also Armenian, and is 24. Usually, he's really cool. Everyone around here jokes around, but sometimes, it's just too much to deal with.

The thing is, whenever I go to him for questions, he gets irritated. I mean, I'm new here, this is my first time working in a tire shop, I still don't know a lot. So, I see nothing wrong with asking him a lot of questions. I'm still learning all these car parts, it's pretty hard. But, he doesn't see that. He thinks I repeat questions too much, he says I ask him when he's busy, etc.

Well, let me tell you. If the customer is waiting, and I have an important question, and my manager is on the phone, and is ON HOLD, and I ask a quick question, isn't it logical for him to quickly help me out? When I first started, I'd ask, "Do we stock these tires?", and it was a simple yes or no, but instead he'd reply back, "Can't you see I'm busy?!" - and just put me down in front of the customer.

Also, when customers call the store and ask for tire prices, and I give it to them, he used to get mad and say, "I'm sick of you not talking to them the right way! Why don't you ask them 'How does the price sound to you'? I'm sick of customers not coming in because of you. I don't want to lose customers because of you!"

First of all, he's not here to see how much tires I'm selling. I've been working here for a month, a true beginner, and I've probably sold more tires than him. I don't give up as quick as he does. I'm more reasonable with the customers. Also, this is my uncle's tire shop. Don't talk to me like YOU'RE the boss. I don't run and tell my uncle what happens, and it's WAY more than I'm saying to you all now, because I don't want him to lose his job. Honestly, he's done so much, I could have him fired. But, I won't.

Every day, there's a problem. A few weeks ago, I had two customers calling, both on hold while I was looking up tires for them, and two customers were in the store, impatiently waiting. I was looking for my manager, and found him sitting in my UNCLE'S office, on the phone with his friend. If I even SIT down around my manager, he'll say something about it. But THAT pissed me off. I was so busy, with no time, and he took his time on the phone. Luckily, I took care of it.

And just right now, I walked in to the front of the shop, and I left the door a LITTLE bit open. My manager closed it, as he was sitting down watching the World Cup, and said, "Again, you didn't close the door. I'm sick of you leaving it open! The air conditioner is on!" I laughed, because it was so stupid to fight over, and I said, "Fuck." Then the phone rang, and I said, "The phone's ringing" - trying to piss him off, as in HE should pick it up. When he got up, he told me I should watch my mouth. When he was done, he said he didn't appreciate the way I talked to him. I told him I didn't cuss AT him, it was just to myself, and that he should stop fighting over leaving a door open. We got into a real big argument, and I lashed out and got even more irritated. Then, we got into an argument about how I don't handle my own customers. According to him, if I talk to the customer first, he's my customer, and I can't have my manager help me on it. That's stupid. Sometimes I don't know how to take care of it, and I need his help on it. After all, it's been a month I'm here. I'm not Superman. I don't know mechanical things yet.

He also throws a lot of things at me. To make his work easy, I have to clean. I have to call part stores. I have to do everything. I mean, I'll do it, I don't mind. But when it's HIS job, HIS customer, and HE has to call the part stores, he makes me do it. Even when I'm busy. That's so unfair. Sometimes, I need time to do my work. I'm busy, too. Why can't HE call? Why do I have to do all his work?

I really sound mean right now, like I'm mad because I do all the work, but that's not it. You really don't know how he treats me. Sometimes, it's way too unfair. And I don't wanna tell my uncle just yet, because it's just not cool. Plus, a few minutes later, everything between me and him is cool. I just hate it when he acts this way.
    Last edited by One-Way; 06-24-2006, 11:42 AM.

Re: Problems With My Manager

Oh, and, apparently, my uncle and my mom were talking, and my uncle told my mom that I work better than him. He says he'd get rid of him and make me manager. After only a month. That proves I'm not just bitching.

Comment

Geez. If he's got a problem answering your questions... ask him if he's comfortable with being responsible if you make a mistake because he wouldn't help you. If he's the manager ulitimately it's his a*s too. Does he know how to manage? A manager is supposed to bring out the best in his employees and that's not done by refusing them training and yelling at them for anything and everything. Try talking to him and tell him what works best for you. If he's not cooperative and he still acts that way, why not talk to your uncle? I'm surprised he'd even act that way knowing he's working your uncle too. Maybe he knows your uncle would never get rid of him and he's getting off on treating his nephew like crap or maybe he feels threatened. Like if he teaches you everything he knows, you'll replace him, especially since you're family.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

You know what he tells me?

"Listen, when you ask me a question, I don't get angry. I just get annoyed because you've been working here for 3 months, and you still don't get it. You keep asking me the same question 3 times."

He said that yesterday. 3 months? It's been a month and 3 weeks. And I didn't ask the same question 3 times. All 3 questions had to do with brakes, yes, but they were all different questions. Either way, stop acting like an asshole.

He probably does feel threatened. I'm learning quickly, and it would be a lot easier for my uncle if I managed the store. Of course not now, but eventually. When I ask my uncle a question, he's so into it, to help me out, because he wants me to learn. He rather have me ask a million questions than none. It's all about learning.

Comment

Just keep doing what you're doing, don't create any conflict, but at the same time learn as much as you can.

Comment

That's the plan I had in mind.

Comment

It sounds as if justice will prevail here.

Comment

Some people don’t know how to manage effectively. I agree with Siggie. Some people understand the title of ‘manager’ as something like ‘I now get to assert dominance over everyone.’ That isn't effective. The manager shouldn’t be upset with you asking questions. As a manager, I would wonder about the competency of a new employee who did not ask questions and try to learn.

I had a similar problem when I managed a company (sounds like you could eventually be a manager for your uncle’s shop, so this might help you.) The owner wanted me to follow employees (including other managers) around to make sure they weren’t slacking off. My point of view was: That’s nuts. These employees are educated, hard-working and honest people who work for this company there because they love the kind of work we do. (Many who had worked there for years and are the kind of people who would volunteer to come in on off days if there was something that needed to be done…). None of them had ever given me (or the owner) any reason to think they would be slacking off. I told the owner I wasn’t comfortable watching over their shoulders. I explained that if I spent my time following them around the grounds, I also wouldn’t be able to get more urgent business done. I also said that by acting in that ‘babysitter’ kind of managerial style (would not only be ‘not me’) but also would likely be offensive to them. I think that would backfire somehow (unhappy or bitter workers, etc.). I know I’ve never liked when managers constantly checked up on me and coworkers (which is very different than checking to make sure everything is going ok, if they need anything, etc.)

I agree with Siggie that a manager should help facilitate and motivate and also train and teach. I've appreciated managers who want to help me do better and show me how or answer questions. When I managed that company, I intentionally trained various employees about how to do aspects of MY JOB. I had no fear that teaching them my job would threaten my job--though it sounds like your manager might harbor that fear... Plus, then I could take a vacation and know the basics could still get done. (You could mention that to him too. "What if you want time off. Who will know how to do xyz if you don't want to teach me?") When I arrived, most people only knew how to do only their job. I made sure that everyone knew a little about what everyone else did and how to do that (plus that just makes things run smoother when each person understand the logic of why things get done in certain ways.) That also just makes sense to me: if someone is sick or on vacation or leaves, there is at least two other people who know how to do the urgent parts or train someone else--that's in the interest of the company, too. It doesn’t sound like your manager is acting in your Uncle’s interests and that will likely backfire.

Also, I can tell you that if I owned that shop and heard a manager putting down an employee and saying that "Can't you see I'm busy?!" stuff in front of a customer, I’d sit the manager down right away. That is not only unprofessional, but likely to cause that customer to think twice about returning and is creating a stressful work environment.
                Last edited by Anahita; 06-25-2006, 09:18 AM.

Comment

My family wants me to talk to my uncle about it before it's too late. Should I?

Comment

You should just do your job and mess up bad, and then when shyt hits the fan, you can always point to your bad manager of how he wasn't approachable.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X