Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A Job After The Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Job After The Army

Originally posted by Fedayeen
    So basically after 4 years in the Army and at the nothing...

A friend of mine who spent 10 years in the Army as medic, got out and could not do anything...he had to go back school and recently he god done with 4 year school and now finally at the age of 35 his doing something worthwhile

Until today he cannot get more then few hours of sleep at nights...because of all kinds of drugs they were giving him during the first war with Iraq...and now he hates everything about military, the government, etc

Either stay with Army or long years of school

Good luck
    they didn't give me anything when i went to Iraq. so that wont be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492
      Actually, I hear nursing is in huge demand which translates to great pay and jobs where ever you want to live.
      i was thinking about that, but im going to move away from where i grew up. oh well.

Comment

Anyone who goes to US Army for a relatively basic (a.k.a expandable) post is going to leave with very little on their hands, except for mucho psychological post-dramatic stress problems. The only US Army job that makes any sense is something very specialized, preferably in the medical or mech or tech support sectors. If you can make a transition to those types of posts, do it. Otherwise, as Sip said you'll be looking at some sort of training or trade schooling, if you want a decent job. Although the commercial driving idea is not bad, crazy job but good pay. Or the easiest thing would be to get a job that deals with tanks, like testing them, showcasing them, fixing them, stuff like that. Or maybe even get a job with professional security contractors that use tanks or heavy machinery.

Comment

you can give military training to soldiers of 3rd world countries.

Comment

Get into management, businesses usually prefer those from the military rather than the educated type.

Or start your own business of some sort. All those 'trade school, pharm tech/lvn/etc' jobs suck, and you'll quickly outgrow them.

Comment

Originally posted by ddd
              Get into management,...
              Any real "mangement" type of profession is going to require at LEAST a 4-year college degree (military background or not) . If a 4-year degree is an option, I would definitely agree with ddd and recommend to go for it! Otherwise, anything you do will be fairly dead-end.

As far as starting a business, we should all do it!

Although I must say I don't know about this "businesses prefer military over educated" thing d? First off, why do those two have to necessarily be disjoint? In other words, there are a lot of military types that use the military to get educated. But once everything is said and done, I think businesses would look at overall qualifications rather than picking someone just because they have military training over someone else.
              Last edited by Sip; 02-20-2007, 06:52 PM.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip View Post
                Any real "mangement" type of profession is going to require at LEAST a 4-year college degree (military background or not) . If a 4-year degree is an option, I would definitely agree with ddd and recommend to go for it! Otherwise, anything you do will be fairly dead-end.

As far as starting a business, we should all do it!

Although I must say I don't know about this "businesses prefer military over educated" thing d? First off, why do those two have to necessarily be disjoint? In other words, there are a lot of military types that use the military to get educated. But once everything is said and done, I think businesses would look at overall qualifications rather than picking someone just because they have military training over someone else.
                Military trained officers, who achieve higher ranks represent certain qualities that aren't taught in school, and I would say are rather hard to attain. That's not to say those who never go into the military don't have those qualities, but the employer won't see that on a resume with a simple 4 year degree listed (which I think any jo schmo can achieve these days in the US). It's true that many high level management positions require a 4 year degree, however just as many private company management positions don't. Ofcourse, I agree that businesses look at overall qualifications, which is what I think someone who is highly ranked in the military would represent, but not someone who got a 4 year degree from a mid tier school with mid level grades.

All I was trying to say was that the military can be a very powerful tool in landing a GREAT job that even those out of college would have a hard time landing; although now that I think about it, I think the higher ranks in the military actually may require a 4 year degree of some sort.
                Last edited by ddd; 05-27-2008, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X