Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Atheism and being Armenian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheism and being Armenian

I suddenly had the urge to come back after a long, long, LONG time. I hope this will be interesting.

I recently gave a presentation on 'Faith and Reason' at a philosophy conference, and afterward I was asked by someone if it is particularly hard for me to be an atheist as an Armenian. It wasn't a question I had thought about much before, as I tend to consider culture and religion two separate categories (though there absolutely can be overlap between the two). Certainly someone can be an Armenian who is also an atheist, such as myself, but my question to you all is if you believe religiosity is something necessary (or at least extremely important) to the Armenian experience? Why or why not?
    Last edited by Jinx; 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM.

Re: Atheism and being Armenian

Im an atheist too. I still go to church with my family for major events like easter. Its hard to be an atheist in America, much less in an Armenian setting, but I just go through the motions in church.

Comment

Well for Armenians it's different. Almost all Armenians identify themselves with the Armenian Apostolic Church - however not everyone is really religious (especially armenians of armenia because of Soviet Union). We respect the church, its traditions, attend during important holidays, but that doesn't necessarily make us very religious, it's just a very important and essential part of armenian identity. If you look at statistics of Armenia when asked religious questions, you will see Armenia is not a very religious country, though when it comes identification with faith, over 98% identify themselves as Armenian Christian. It is different in the West, because in West if you identify yourself with a church and attend service once and a while, you are automatically deemed religious.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Do you think perhaps Armenians in the diaspora being religious or defensive about the church is some sort of reaction to feeling a need to cultivate what you could call their 'armenian-ness'? The Armenian church provides a cultural connection and a place for Armenians to congregate in a way that no other institution really does, at least not on the same scale, and I think this is the reason why the idea of being an atheist can seem to many people also wanting to 'not be Armenian,' or something like that. It's not so much about denying the truth of what the bible says that makes some Armenians feel that being an atheist is incompatible with being Armenian, but rather that they feel atheists are rejecting the single most important anchor in the Armenian community.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
          Do you think perhaps Armenians in the diaspora being religious or defensive about the church is some sort of reaction to feeling a need to cultivate what you could call their 'armenian-ness'? The Armenian church provides a cultural connection and a place for Armenians to congregate in a way that no other institution really does, at least not on the same scale, and I think this is the reason why the idea of being an atheist can seem to many people also wanting to 'not be Armenian,' or something like that. It's not so much about denying the truth of what the bible says that makes some Armenians feel that being an atheist is incompatible with being Armenian, but rather that they feel atheists are rejecting the single most important anchor in the Armenian community.
          Well the way I see it the atheists are rejected because they reject the Armenian Church rather than their rejection of the existence of God. The Armenian Church is very important and sacred to many Armenians regardless of their belief if God exists or not. And yes the Armenian Church serves as a meeting place for Armenians, you will see where ever there is considerable Armenian population there is also an Armenian church. Usually, however, Armenians who don't believe in God usually keep it to themselves and will continue to identify themselves with the Armenian church - it just isn't something that is brought to the open that much.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

I think the reasons atheists reject the church is because they don't see it as a benign institution. Sure, it can be very useful as a cultural tool, and it would be fine if everyone saw it that way. But it does spread ideas and values that many atheists are very uncomfortable with. I know many Armenians aren't 'religious' in the traditional sense, but there is no denying the rampant homophobia and antisemitism in the Armenian community, and I have heard enough Armenians in my life justify these beliefs by citing biblical or religious reasons to have reason to believe that the Armenians who go to church aren't tuning it out just for some cultural experience. A significant percentage are absorbing it.

Comment

You'd be surprised that most Armenians who attend church aren't religious at all. In fact they only show up on Easter and Christmas. That doesn't mean that they don't see value in the Armenian church or its teachings since those same values have been passed down generation to generation. As far as homophobia and antisemitism, you don't have to be religious at all to form stereotypes... most people form their bias and opinions from random encounters with people from those two groups who happened to rub them the wrong way (no pun intended). If atheists are uncomfortable with Armenians and Christianity, then it just means their faith in non believing isn't very strong. It's human to be doubtful.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Absolutely, anyone can hold any reprehensible belief, whether or not they are religious. However, I stated that I have experience with many Armenians directly citing their religious faith and beliefs for such opinions, which indicates that it is not a benign institution.

As for your comment ("If atheists are uncomfortable with Armenians and Christianity, then it just means their faith in non believing isn't very strong."), I actually do not understand what you're saying or what the connection there is. As for being doubtful, that absolutely is human, and something atheists embrace. Atheists say that they don't believe in God, rarely do they say there absolutely is no God. Some do, but most don't think that way, and to do so would be foolish. Uncertainty and doubt is inherent to atheism, what atheists are uncomfortable with is religion's certainty.

Though this is starting to go off topic, I'd really like us to focus on the Armenian community and how an atheist would relate to/be a part of that. robertik1 gave one way to go about it, which is just going through the motions, but I'm wondering what the view is of an open atheist is or should be within the Armenian community.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                  Though this is starting to go off topic, I'd really like us to focus on the Armenian community and how an atheist would relate to/be a part of that. robertik1 gave one way to go about it, which is just going through the motions, but I'm wondering what the view is of an open atheist is or should be within the Armenian community.
                  Just don't be too outward about it, go to church during the important holidays, be respectful to the church, and you should be fine.

I wouldn't say the homophobia is a result of religiosity rather just of Armenia being a more conservative society than in the West.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---

Comment

Nice thread ,
                    I agree with the above responses and i believe its accurately true,even if we talk about the progressive western society and the lack of faith we can be considered part of this western motion,i think its part of the enlightenment and all of the maturing period western nations have gone trough.

Comment

Working...
                    X