Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Which Orthodox church to join

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Orthodox church to join

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    You neeed to read up on some Armenian history. Cilicia was the last armenian kingdom and it changed its religion to basicaly catholisism so the western states would help it against the muslim invading hoards. Of coarse the west abandoned Cilicia and it was overrun by the mamlukes from egypt. This is a good example of how the west has always betrayed the armenian people and should not be trusted today either. If you believe in the mumbojumbo called religion then the true church is the Etchmiadzin because it did not deviate from original practices to appease anyone.
    Are you 100% sure of this? Do you have a valid source that states that?
    As far as I know, all those pro-catholic changes were cancelled after the fall of the kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
      Yeah, I know the Copts say Chalcedon was a matter of translation, but then an other argument from the Oriental/miaphysite perspective is that Chalcedonian dyophysite are closer to Nestorianism, which I do not know much about. Do you know why?
      I'm new here, and I see this post is two years old, but I'll reply anyways. No, there is no connection with Caldenonian churches with nestorianism whatsoever. Moreover, the Armenian Apostolic Church agreed with the Caldenonian Churches about the nature of Christ, and even though earlier they were stounch "monophysites" they are now called "miaphysite". Never earlier in history they used this term, but only "monophysite", and when they saw they went wrong they started using the term "miaphysite".

Comment

Welcome to the Hyeclub EuroArmenian....
        B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by EuroArmenian View Post
          I'm new here, and I see this post is two years old, but I'll reply anyways. No, there is no connection with Caldenonian churches with nestorianism whatsoever. Moreover, the Armenian Apostolic Church agreed with the Caldenonian Churches about the nature of Christ, and even though earlier they were stounch "monophysites" they are now called "miaphysite". Never earlier in history they used this term, but only "monophysite", and when they saw they went wrong they started using the term "miaphysite".
          Hello EuroArmenian

Are you able to give any dates or reference any synod where these decisions were taken.

I was taught at school the Armenian Church was monophysite.
          In any event never fully understood the concepts nor did I want to go deep into theology.

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by EuroArmenian View Post
            That doesnt make any sense if the Armenian church agreed with the Chalcedonian churches about the nature of christ why would they be "staunch" monophysites which are viewed as heresey by both the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches. I thought that the Armenian Church disagreed about the nature of christ and therefore were labeled as monophysites but the Armenian church position was that they did not agree with the Chalcedonian churches but that doesnt make us monophysite.
            The Chalcedonians view was that Jesus had 2 natures human and divine. Monophysite that he had 1 nature only divine or a synthesis of divine and human and Miaphsyite which is what the Armenian church calls itself that Jesus was both divine and human united in one nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Etchmiadzin View Post
              That doesnt make any sense if the Armenian church agreed with the Chalcedonian churches about the nature of christ why would they be "staunch" monophysites which are viewed as heresey by both the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches. I thought that the Armenian Church disagreed about the nature of christ and therefore were labeled as monophysites but the Armenian church position was that they did not agree with the Chalcedonian churches but that doesnt make us monophysite.
              The Chalcedonians view was that Jesus had 2 natures human and divine. Monophysite that he had 1 nature only divine or a synthesis of divine and human and Miaphsyite which is what the Armenian church calls itself that Jesus was both divine and human united in one nature.
              It is difficult to understand the difference between Mono-physite and Mia-phsyite
              Both words literally mean the same thing.

They are both derived from Greek, "mono" means “only one” like mono-yios meaning only son, while "mia" simply means one.

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
              Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
              Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

@londontsi, @Etchmiadzin...

The Severian Monophysites, who promoted the "monophysitismus nominalis" (i. e. nominal monophysitism, as it is called by the Catholic theologians) had acctualy the same belief in two natures of Christ as did the Catholic Church, but they rejected the Chalcedon because they thought it promotes Nestorianism and contradicts the teachings of Cyrill of Alexandria. Moreover, the position of Catholic theology (G. S. Assemani, E. Renaudot, Martin Jugie) says that this sort of monophysites was in conflict with the Catholic Church only because of name, but not the dogma itself. Therefore François Nau suggested they should be called diplophysites, and not monophysites. I myself agree with another theologian, Joseph Lebon, who said that monophysites (the Severians) made a mistake by translating the word "φύσις" (fisis) as "person" insted of "nature".

The nominal Monophysites were really firm in their belief that the Christ had one nature, even though they acctualy recognised the exsistance of two "unmixed, unconverted, undivided, inseparable" natures - like the Chalcedonians did. They just refused to admit that Christ acctualy has two natures because such consent would "negate their monophysitism", as said by Leontius of Jerusalem. Never earlier was the term "miaphysite" used, but only "monophysite", therfore, once nominal monophysites saw they went wrong, the term "miaphysite" was created to soften the condemnation by the Chalcedonians.

@londontsi - the nominal Monophysites condamned the real Monophysites ("monophysitismus realis"), who were followers of (saint) Eutichius. The real Monophysites claimed there is one nature of Christ which is mixed nature of God and human, while nominal Monophysites (i. e. Mihaphysites) claimed there are rather two natures "unmixed [...]" in one nature. That is the difference, though indeed "mono" and "mia" have the same meaning.

Comment

Though, the term "monophysite" is gone now in modern theology books, you can still find it in late 20th century books and is used by some "extreme" theologians who want to derogate the Oriental Orthodox Churches. The Catholic Church has a "soft" point of view regarding the miaphysites, as they recognised their beliefe is orthodox (as writen by theologians I mentioed above). Morevoer, the Catholic Church celebrated some miaphysite writers like Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite as they considered his writings are orthodox.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                    I have observed catholics and they are pretty funny. A catholic will sin like crazy then go confess and feel all better about it. Basically do whatever you want but as long as you confess and apologize then your good.
                    The Oriental Orthodox Christians confess as well... so... :/
                    Last edited by EuroArmenian; 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X