Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Great Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Great Outdoors

Ok, before I post the comments that I originally intended to, I want to SCREAM this at the top of my lungs ...
    I logged in correctly 3 (THREE) God damn times, but each time was --- FORCED --- to try yet again. This fkn act has been consistent for at least last month.
    Two questions, one of which I have asked before.
    (1) are there --- ANY --- other members experiencing this?
    (2) and now this question I have asked before when I experience --- SO MUCH TROUBLE --- simply to log in ...
    Who is the moderator in control now, 11:07 Alaska time on 9/18/16, which is 10:07am California time ( club post time?
    I'll skip my fkn comments I wanted to make on the "great outdoors" thread do my agitation.

Comment

The first day of November has brought us 75 degree temps. I was on my boat with a tshirt cruising the big lake. It was a lot of fun. Fish still elude me out here. My marina has a rule about having the boats out by this time. I was arguing with them about extending this deadline as the temps are to be in the 60s this weekend and I want to use my boat. I think this is an example of businesses trying to adjust to the new realities of global warming. Last year I was sitting in a tree stand mid November in my tshirt as it was way too warm. I hope we get some safe ice this year as I really miss icefishing. Realistically though I should probably plan on doing more open water fishing.
      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

I have had the opportunity to go ice fishing a couple of times already but temps today were in the mid 50s. It melted all the snow and now I hope it gets cold and makes more good ice. Winters are very unpredictable now. I am looking forward to a good fishing season through the ice. The first outing was exciting as the bass and pike would not leave my puppet minnow alone. The second outing resulted in nothing. I have not gone to my favorite spots yet because the ice is not thick enough in those areas. I hope his week will bring colder weather and thicker ice.
        Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Dear Haykakan,

Never gone ice fishing but sounds really cool literally LOL But seriously i though fish like hibernate at bottom of lakes in the winter, how do you know where they are how do you get them to bite?

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
          I have had the opportunity to go ice fishing a couple of times already but temps today were in the mid 50s. It melted all the snow and now I hope it gets cold and makes more good ice. Winters are very unpredictable now. I am looking forward to a good fishing season through the ice. The first outing was exciting as the bass and pike would not leave my puppet minnow alone. The second outing resulted in nothing. I have not gone to my favorite spots yet because the ice is not thick enough in those areas. I hope his week will bring colder weather and thicker ice.

Comment

Fish go deeper as oxygen in the shallows is depleted. They are not as active as they were in the warmer months but they do feed. Generally you catch the bigger fish in the cooler months and fish taste much better coming from colder waters. I actually enjoy ice fishing more then open water fishing. Jigging with baits or lures is how you catch them. Knowing where the fish are depends on experience and some luck. A good flasher/sonar is a important tool very helpful in finding fish. I used to post pics of my catch but I got lazy. It is very important for beginners to learn from experienced and responsible mentors as it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.
            Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Left my house this morning at 5:45am. Temperature was minus 53 degrees below zero F.
              I live on the banks of a good sized river, actually where two rivers merge. It's low ground and traditionally one of the coldest spots in the area.
              With the advent of climatic change, I haven't seen these temps for several years. We've had negative 20 to 30 below for about two weeks, so this dive in temp feels particularly cold. We call this "real weather".

Comment

Here in Detroit we are experiencing full effects of global warming. The next ten days temps are going to be in the mid 40s with a few days getting into the low 50s. I went icefishing yesterday and there was a lake on top of the lake. All the rain and melting ice on top of the 6 inches of ice had no where to go so it just lay there with the wind creating ripples. It was pretty amazing fishing in water on top of ice but it was not fun as everything gets wet fast. When I drilled a hole the water on top poured into it creating a small whirlpool. The ice was plenty thick and safe but these conditions I had not seen before. This prolonged period of very warm weather will destroy this solid ice. I need to find myself a new hobby as winters here make icefishing so unpredictable.
                Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

In my cheesehead land Wisconsin it was -35 couple days ago, it will be around 40 in couple days. That is 75 degree variation in one week.

Comment

Originally posted by Azad View Post
                    In my cheesehead land Wisconsin it was -35 couple days ago, it will be around 40 in couple days. That is 75 degree variation in one week.
                    These kinds of abnormal variations in a very short period of time seem to be a common feature now and the new normal. I would imagine that puts a lot of pressure on wildlife to adapt to such drastic changes in the environment. I remember climatologists warnings regarding a one or two degree variation in average temps, we are far beyond that now with the added stressor of such extreme changes in a very short period of time.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

As I wait for the ice to get thicker I found this wonderful poem and figured I would share it.

A Boy and His Dad
                      A boy and his dad on a fishing-trip—
                      There is a glorious fellowship!
                      Father and son and the open sky
                      And the white clouds lazily drifting by,
                      And the laughing stream as it runs along
                      With the clicking reel like a martial song,
                      And the father teaching the youngster gay
                      How to land a fish in the sportsman’s way.
                      I fancy I hear them talking there
                      In an open boat, and the speech is fair.
                      And the boy is learning the ways of men
                      From the finest man in his youthful ken.
                      Kings, to the youngster, cannot compare
                      With the gentle father who’s with him there.
                      And the greatest mind of the human race
                      Not for one minute could take his place.
                      Which is happier, man or boy?
                      The soul of the father is steeped in joy,
                      For he’s finding out, to his heart’s delight,
                      That his son is fit for the future fight.
                      He is learning the glorious depths of him,
                      And the thoughts he thinks and his every whim;
                      And he shall discover, when night comes on,
                      How close he has grown to his little son.
                      A boy and his dad on a fishing-trip—
                      Builders of life’s companionship!
                      Oh, I envy them, as I see them there
                      Under the sky in the open air,
                      For out of the old, old long-ago
                      Come the summer days that I used to know,
                      When I learned life’s truths from my father’s lips
                      As I shared the joy of his fishing-trips.
                      —Edgar Guest
                      Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                      X