Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Have our spiritual leaders lost their moral compass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have our spiritual leaders lost their moral compass

Could it be that the agents of influence are now going after Garegin since he is close to Serj? Do they see the Church as a threat, but act as if they have the best intentions at heart? While I will admit that Garegin is not the most pious person to have ever held the title 'Catholicos', he has been a good administrator and has helped clean house which our Church has needed for some time.
    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

I am disappointed at your perspectives of the issues involved.

If your statements by implication are true, then my criticisms/reply is within your own statement.

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
      Could it be that the agents of influence are now going after Garegin since he is close to Serj?
      No Catholicos should be “close” to a political leader which could be interpreted as him being “not close” to others.
      The Catholicos is the spiritual leader of all the people.

Do they see the Church as a threat, but act as if they have the best intentions at heart?
      The church should always be a threat to those who deserve to be criticised.
      I have in mind moral degradation, social injustice and everything else the Church (should ) stands for.
      Also,
      NEVER EVEN A HINT OF POLITICAL LEANING.

While I will admit that Garegin is not the most pious person to have ever held the title ....
      WOW, you are better informed than me.

, he has been a good administrator and has helped clean house which our Church has needed for some time.
      You mean a good hirer and firer, keeps the files tidy and organised and not much of a spiritual element in his management style.
      Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
      Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
      Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Face it, any religious leader, has political power and connections. When Armenia was without a king or leader it was our Catholicos who played the role. Do you think the things they are saying about Garegin are new or that he wasn't like this since he took office? Is it by mere chance that now, when agents of the West have stepped up their political pressure on Yerevan, as well as their information war, that now they are going after the oldest Armenian institution and one who's current head happens to be close to the ruling power in Yerevan.

There are crappy bishops within our Church which they can easily talk about as well, like the archbishop in the eastern part of the US. Yet, they know better, they will go after the head and discredit him when they had been silent since 1999. I do not think this recent wave is random and not connected with the political agenda the West has for Armenia. But you can go on ahead thinking that the Catholicos is aweful and not tending to his flock properly.
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

Armanen, you don't understand what it means to be a spiritual leader.
          faith is not ideology. there should be no real politik here.

it goes without saying your arguments are totally unacceptable, morally speaking yet, even if we leave the moral sphere and adopt your warped politico-ideological stance on the matter,

discredit him ... the west
          (zionists have not made their way in the conversation yet but they are not too far i assume)

the answer is such people should behave in a way that make it hard for others to discredit them and what they are supposed to represent.

any behaviour that lends to such obvious criticism should be considered anti-national in your book (if that is your scale of truth)

pointing fingers at external forces to excuse inadmissible behaviour is totally twisted/perverse.

there should be no impunity here.
          accepting impunity amounts to cultivating weakness.
          no "good"/consequent "nationalist" should do that.

Comment

Originally posted by gkv View Post
            Armanen, you don't understand what it means to be a spiritual leader.
            faith is not ideology. there should be no real politik here.

it goes without saying your arguments are totally unacceptable, morally speaking yet, even if we leave the moral sphere and adopt your warped politico-ideological stance on the matter,

(zionists have not made their way in the conversation yet but they are not too far i assume)

the answer is such people should behave in a way that make it hard for others to discredit them and what they are supposed to represent.

any behaviour that lends to such obvious criticism should be considered anti-national in your book (if that is your scale of truth)

pointing fingers at external forces to excuse inadmissible behaviour is totally twisted/perverse.

there should be no impunity here.
            accepting impunity amounts to cultivating weakness.
            no "good"/consequent "nationalist" should do that.
            I think you live in a fairy tale world and you do not understand what it means to BE a leader regardless if he is religious or not. Any organization, especially one as large as our Church will have corruption. You underestimate or dismiss the human factor which has inherent faults, call it original sin.

What is warped about my ideology? Do you eat what they feed you on the mainstream media? Do you think you're normal because you think and act like others, an automon basically?

Of course people should behave in a moral way, but the more power one has the more likely he is to misbehave. My issue in this case is why Garegin's faults are bing brought up now, not a year ago or 5 years ago but NOW, especially since the political pressure on Yerevan has increased recently. So I am not making excuses for the Catholicos, and ideally I'd like him to be a good leader both spiratually and managerially, however, I realize he is a human a prone to weakness. I also realize that at the very least he has been a good admin and cleaned house.

Sorry, we do not all believe in pixie dust and unicorns.

Comment

"fairy tale"

not with me.

i believe i gave you an answer that was that of a realist, the last three lines especially. it is not about asking anyone to be perfect. it is about discipline.

with reasonings such as yours, anything goes. "human factor", "original sin"...

another thing, there are political leaders and there are spiritual leaders. if spiritual leaders start acting as political leaders there is no spiritual leadership left.

as to the reason why this surfaced now, well this is peripheral to the issue at hand.

the argument according to which one should allow anything so as not to play in the hand of foreign influences is flawed.

we will be less at the mercy of foreign influences when we are stronger from within. and if we are not, then i believe we should pay.

Comment

and if you don't agree with the above, i think i can equate your brand of nationalism with some sort of weak degenerate sentimentalism.

Comment

The problem with Armenian clergy was written about by Hagop Baronian and others in the 19th century. Not much has changed. Most of the people who enter this profession do so because it gives them an easy life. They will pretend they have higher motivations. With some exceptions the majority are there for self-interest. There is no accountability. If a lower ranking clergyman is caught, most of the time he will be supported by the hierarchy and the matter will be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by gkv View Post
                    "fairy tale"

not with me.

i believe i gave you an answer that was that of a realist, the last three lines especially. it is not about asking anyone to be perfect. it is about discipline.

with reasonings such as yours, anything goes. "human factor", "original sin"...

another thing, there are political leaders and there are spiritual leaders. if spiritual leaders start acting as political leaders there is no spiritual leadership left.

as to the reason why this surfaced now, well this is peripheral to the issue at hand.

the argument according to which one should allow anything so as not to play in the hand of foreign influences is flawed.

we will be less at the mercy of foreign influences when we are stronger from within. and if we are not, then i believe we should pay.
                    No, you really believe that high ranking spiritual leaders are immune from politics. The cold reality is that they are not, never have been, and in all likelihood will not change. Do you know the history of the popes well? They would make the actions of any of our Catholicos' look like peanuts. So you gave no 'realist' answer, rather an idealic one which of course I'd support but I realize we do not live in an idealic world.

The only spiritual leader one should have is God and his own moral compass. You should not expect someone to speak for God, and then get bent out of shape when it turns out they are human and make poor choices too sometimes.

It's kinda hard to be strong from within when we have self destructive peasantry that will scream at the top of their lungs when an Armenian tries to led them but will follow like good sheep when it is a foreigner telling them what to do. And within this peasantry, we also have traitors to the nation who will sell out the entire country just to make a buck or be installed in office. I feel like you have a very poor understanding of the Armenian psyche, of geopolitics, and probably the history of religious organizations as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen
                      you have a very poor understanding
                      if that's how you want to wrap things up, have it your way.

Comment

Working...
                      X