Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Andrea Martin: Tony winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrea Martin: Tony winner

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551908/bio (nee Papazian)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108939.html (member of Young Frankenstein cast)

This week I also had the thrill of interviewing Andrea Martin on my Sirius radio show, and, of course, she was hilarious. She told me that her childhood inspiration to become a performer was Chita Rivera. Her parents had a condo in San Juan, and they would go see Chita perform and Andrea (who's Armenian) thought that if Chita could make it and not be blonde and all-American looking, then so could she. Right after Andrea moved to New York in her early twenties, she got her Equity card playing Lucy in the Canadian tour of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (fyi, Judy Kaye played the role in the American tour). Andrea stayed in Canada and decided to try out for the Toronto production of Godspell. She thought she was right for it because, although she didn't consider herself a great singer or even actress, she knew the main requirement for the show was personality. She got up to sing and belted the song "Somebody" from Celebration. After 20 measures she got the dreaded "thank you" and was not asked to stay for the call back. She said that perhaps she tried too hard…and by "perhaps," she means she was pushing more than a mother whose baby has crowned. Andrea was traumatized and felt that if she couldn't get Godspell, then she had no hope for ever getting a show. She started a daily depressive regimen of eating large quantities of donuts and then going to the gym to work it off and sit in the steam room. One day, while literally in the steam room, she got paged for a phone call. It was Eugene Levy, who had recently starred opposite her in the film "Cannibal Girls" (seriously…directed by Ivan Reitman). He said that the woman that was cast to sing "Day By Day" was being let go and that there was going to be a big party that night. He told Andrea to show up and be as funny as she could be. She did… and got the gig. And, listen to some of this cast: Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Paul Shaffer as music director and Victor Garber as Jesus and Gilda Radner singing "Learn Your Lessons Well." Andrea said that Gilda auditioned skipping around the stage singing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." Can you imagine all that brilliance in one cast? Andrea then joined Toronto Second City after a lot of the first cast left to start "Saturday Night Live." They then created "SCTV" as a Canadian version of "SNL." I grew up watching that show every Friday night with my friends Kenny, Sheira, Leora and Eric. I asked her about the origin of some of her characters. She said that Edith Prickley was developed at the Second City improv show. Cast members would bring in old clothes to be used to create on-the-spot characters. Andrea was told by the audience to be a mother of a delinquent and quickly put on Catherine O'Hara's mother's leopard coat and hat. She walked in and said, "Hello, Dear! I'm…" Catherine said, "Mrs. Prickley?" And Andrea said, "That's right, dear. Edith Prickley."

Andrea based Libby Wolfson on a real talk-show host in Canada who was always discussing women's issues. I'm obsessed with the episode where Libby stars in the feminist musical I'm Getting My Own Head, Screwing It on Right, and No Guy's Gonna Tell Me That It Ain't! Libby is completely insecure and always smelling her armpits asking, "Is there a cat in here? I'm smelling some male cat urination." Then, she'll blow into her own hand, sniff it and say, "No. You know what, it's Tabouli. I had Middle Eastern food for lunch." Libby is always completely obsessed with weight loss and whenever a doctor is on and will be discussing a medication who's side effect is diarrhea, she'll interrupt with "I'd kill for diarrhea." Watch some episodes in youtube…hilarious.

Andrea didn't get to Broadway until the early nineties with My Favorite Year and remembers giving an awful audition for it initially, and asking to come back a second time. She said the same thing happened with the "Hedwig" movie. She really wanted to play Hedwig's agent, Phyllis Stein. She read with John Cameron Mitchell (who wrote and directed it) and told him in the middle of the audition that she knew she wasn't nailing it. She asked him if she could go back to L.A, work with her acting coach and fly back on her own dime to try one more time in a week. He said yes, and she got it! She wants actors out there to do that if they feel they're not performing at their best. Take control of the situation. But she also wanted to caution that she's asked casting people if she can come back and then been equally terrible, so it doesn't always work out!

My Favorite Year closed in the winter, and months later when she was in L.A., Andrea found out she was nominated for a Tony! She didn't really know anything about the Tony Awards and hadn't been thinking about it. Now, of course, she says she does non-stop obsessing about it. She won the Tony Award, and a few years later was offered the role of "The Old Lady" in Candide. I remember her telling me back then when she got it that she had played the part in her twenties and it was cute…but now that she actually is an old lady…not so cute. Of course, fyi, anyone who's seen her on the street knows that she always looks amazing. She wanted to play Aunt Eller in Oklahoma! but found that it was very difficult to get anybody to consider her for roles that weren't sketch-like. Also, the Aunt Eller that Trevor Nunn used in London is much taller than Andrea. But she campaigned, auditioned up a storm, got the role and a Tony nomination! After that she played the Cat in the Hat in the workshops of Seussical. When it came time to take it to Broadway, she couldn't decide what to do because her son was in his senior year of high school in California, and she'd miss most of it by being in New York. She knew he'd want her to come see him do sports and his jazz ensemble, etc. She was incredibly torn until she spoke to her agents (Richie Jackson and Gary Gersh at Innovative Artists) who, as opposed to agents that are obsessed with how much money a client can make, asked her, "Would you rather be remembered as a good Cat in the Hat or a good mother?" Brava! Even though she loved that show, and especially its score, she turned down the role. Now, thankfully, she's back on Broadway in Young Frankenstein and is as brilliant as ever.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22
Working...
X