Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

the armenian language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like the tnkatas

Comment

Go to England once and travel from North to South, East to West. You may be surprised at how much you may not understand at all in such a relatively small country.

One way to understand each other's dialects is exposure. The more you hear it, the more familiar it will become, although I must admit that the only armenian dialects I understand relatively well are "standard" Persian Armenian, Armenia Armenian and Western Armenian. But don't expect me to understand everything a Goris Armenian says, if I even manage to understand one word.

Comment

I cant enjoy this with you guys, since I dont know Armenian.

Comment

The difference between dialect variations in Armenian and dialect variations in other languages (English, Russian) is that in our case dialects just use other words ("imported" from nations they were ruled by). So, for example, no matter how long you hear the Hemshin dialect there is no way you can understand it, it just uses pure Turkish words in Armenian-structured sentences. Pretty much same thing applies to the Karabakh dialect - they use so many words that don't even remotely remind anything Armenian...

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
            I cant enjoy this with you guys, since I dont know Armenian.
            There's always the Siberian Russian dialects you can refer to for a good laugh. Or there's always Ukrainian - sort of a Russian dialect too, I find it one of the funniest languages ever evolved on this earth (check out http://ua.7ya.org.ua/)...

Just hearing them talk makes my day brighter

Comment

Ukrainian has dialects of its own lol

All the Slavic languages sound funny to me except for Russian, and even Russian sometimes!

I hope that one day I know Armenian well enough that this type of thing would be funny to me. It takes a certain level of fluency. I can read and write in French, but I dont understand the jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by nairi
                Go to England once and travel from North to South, East to West. You may be surprised at how much you may not understand at all in such a relatively small country.

One way to understand each other's dialects is exposure. The more you hear it, the more familiar it will become, although I must admit that the only armenian dialects I understand relatively well are "standard" Persian Armenian, Armenia Armenian and Western Armenian. But don't expect me to understand everything a Goris Armenian says, if I even manage to understand one word.
                reminded me of the movie "snatch" and the English Gypsies.
                - Do you like dags?
                - what?
                - dags, you know dags!
                - oh dogs

about Goris Armenians - we had to talk to them with a translator (a tourist guide from some other Armenian province who happened to know these guys' dialect). that doesn't make their vodka any bit less excellent though

offtopic: by the way Nairi, are you by any chance in Michigan too?

Comment

Originally posted by rabinovich
                  offtopic: by the way Nairi, are you by any chance in Michigan too?
                  Nope. Closer to the other side of the Atlantic

Comment

Originally posted by nairi

One way to understand each other's dialects is exposure.
                    For English dialects or accents I don't think that is true. Best way to understand them is to listen to what is being said overall, and not to try to listen to the individual words.

This works especially well when watching films with English dialects and regional accents. I have no problem in understanding "Indian" English or "Carribean" English, for example.

I've found that in the S of England, where middle class (for want of an better term!) people are so concerned about getting every word pronounced correctly, they find it impossible to understand any word unless it is pronounced exactly like they pronounce it. Such people are incapable of understanding accents. And their thought processes are so rigid that they cannot concieve of even the existence of a word that they would not have heard of.

This reminds me of an occasion when in London I was asking at a reception desk for them to call an employee who had the Armenian name Garo Berberian). On the 'phone the receptionist then turned the name firstly into an English name, (Gary Barber!), then (after I had restated it) into an Asian one, (Babur, I think it was), and then (after I said it again, even clearer) into a French one! - eventually I had to write the name down down in order for the receptionist to correctly ask for the person I wanted to see.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Ever been to Ireland Steve? And I don't mean the shopping center in Dublin.

I still think exposure is the way to go, especially when you hear a dialect that is very different from your own for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                      X