Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The lonely pilgrim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lonely pilgrim

September 23, 2005

By Hovhannes Yeranian

Abo, a Sasuntsi from Talin, a big man with mustache like Andranik, died on the border after he visited Sasun and Mush. His heart couldn’t stand the pressure and he had a heart attack. Levon from Aynchar has a stronger heart – he has visited Western Armenia three times and has toured it alone. He travels around Western Armenia and takes photos.

Levon Tashchian from Musaler fought in Karabagh in 1993 together with his Dashnak friends. Today he is in Armenia to participate in harissa festival of Musaler and commemoration of heroes, to attend the church service and join in the proud dance of Musaler. He wants to visit Javakhk.

Levon has a strong heart. He has traveled all around Western Armenia. He has spent his nights with Kurds and Turks in the mountains, in the ruined churches. He has had conflicts with a Turkish village mayor and the secret police, the molla of a church turned into a mosque and Kurdish rebels.

When an Australian Armenian asked him at an internet interview whether he was afraid to spend the night in the open air Levon answered, “Are you afraid when you are in your house? I wasn’t afraid since I was in my house, the Armenian mountains are our house”. Levon tells calmly about his lonely pilgrimage to Western Armenia.

In 1917 I visited Musaler for the first time. I took pictures of the houses, monuments, churches and the cemeteries of 18 martyrs. They are all ruined. Then I visited Sis, I took pictures of the Catholicos’ residence and the castle. Then I went to Zeytun, Hachn, Marash, Malatia, Urfa, Tigranakert, Kharberd, Erzrum, Mush, Kars, Ani, Igdir, Bayazet. Then I went back to Van Lake and Akhtamar. This trip lasted about a month.

They didn’t allow me to take pictures of some parts of Ani. There was a sign at the entrance to the castle in Turkish and English that no cameras are allowed inside. I entered Ani from the opposite side, from Akhurian river and took pictures of the Hovvi Church, Gagkashen, the Mother Cathedral and the ruins of Ani. I couldn’t return by the same route, so I took out the film and threw my camera into the river. I took a picture of the Arakelots Church in Kars that has been turned into a mosque.

The molla was trying to make me take off my shoes, he told me this was the house of the God. I said, “This is the house of my God, this is a church and I am Armenian.” He went to call the police. I managed to take a picture and went out. I have traveled to the same places in Western Armenia three times and I noticed that what I had seen at my previous visit I couldn’t see at the next one. They destroy the khachkars and the Armenian inscriptions, they are left only on the photos.

ABS TV in Lebanon made a documentary film titled “The Armenians in Lebanon”. This film is often aired in Lebanon. I was the initiator for this film. We visited the whole territory of historic Armenia. We had a conflict with the police in Tigranakert. We had the same problem at Msho Sultan Saint Karapet Monastery.

This was the only time when I was scared. The village mayor was threatening to kill us. But I did take a picture. I had gone to Msho Arakelots the previous day. I spent the night with the Kurds since I didn’t manage to go down to Mush on the same day. Msho Arakelots Monastery is ruined. Only one dome is left. The Kurds have made a house with the stones of the church and sleep there at night.

I had tea with Turkish old men in the market of Mush. I was asking them where the Armenian churches of Mush are. They understood that I am Armenian and sent me to an old man named Mustafa. First he didn’t acknowledge he was Armenian. Then he started telling the stories he had heard from his father, stories about Andranik, Gevorg Chaush, Aghbyur Serob.

He showed me Gevorg Chaush’s and Aghbyur Serob’s tombs. Aghbyur Serob’s head is buried in Mush and his body is buried in Sasun. Then we went to Sulukh village where Gevorg Chaush died. The place is in the same condition as in those days. The famous bridge of Sulukh that was blown up by Dashnak fidayis is still there. I took a picture of it.

Levon Tashchian’s story goes on and on. He can tell for hours and his stories of what he has seen and felt will never end. An exhibition of his photos has traveled all around the world. His works have been exhibited in Syria and Canada, Australia and Armenia telling about thousands of Armenian monuments ruined and destroyed, the culture that the residents and owners of the Armenian Mountains, Levon Tashchian’s grandfathers and great grandfather created.
    Attached Files
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Working...
X