Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Mariam Remembers: Too young to understand; too old to forget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariam Remembers: Too young to understand; too old to forget

Mariam Remembers: Too young to understand; too old to forget

It is 90 years later:

“I can vividly remember the Turk; his name was Chle.

“I can vividly remember the massacring.
    “He came, went up on our roof. My uncle was sitting there with his child.

“My uncle’s name was Mkrtich. He said, ‘Mkrtich take the child inside, come let us talk a bit.’

“The child was of my age. He brought her inside, and he was just going outside when the Turk shot him to death. My uncle was naïve, and the Turk was prepared.”

Mariam Avoyan, who lives in the village of Nerqin Bazmaberd near Talin, remembers 1915, when she was six. It is when she learned the words “slaughtering and looting”.

She was in Sasoon, in what is now Turkey, until her family was chased out.

Murder leaves a lasting impression, so Mariam says: “I will never forget the massacre”.

Calm and quiet, the thin woman is moved when she talks; her blue eyes go wet.

“I can vividly remember the massacring. It began in the time I was already maturing,” Mariam says. “In those times Armenians and Turks used to live in peace.”

But not anymore. Not since six-year olds became witness to genocide.

“They gathered Armenians in one place – men, women, children and began. The Turkish soldiers surrounded the Armenians. They brought the gazaghi (kerosene in Sasoon dialect), poured all over the people and set them afire. As they set the fire they let loose those who would run, to shoot them.

“Where could they run? The smell of smoke and blood covered the earth, the sky went dark, and people could not see each other. The people including children, women, men, would make thousands. They set the fire…When they saw them fall, they went away,” says Mariam, with more suffering than hatred in her 96-year old face. She is mindful to also talk about the Turks who were kind to the Armenians.

But it is not they for whom the history of these days is written and disputed . . .

“The next morning they came for looting. They turned the corpses and took away the gold ware. My uncle’s wife, Margarit, held her child in her arms. She was not killed, but the child was dead.

“When the Turk turned her over to take away her jewelry he recognized her and said ‘Margarit, get up. I have eaten bread from your hand. Get up, let me take you home’.”

Mariam’s family – father, mother and seven children – escaped Sasoon toward their eventual refuge.

“The slaughtering then started. Whoever was killed was killed. Those who remained ran away to the mountains, gorges, and forests. We ran to Mush.”

And to Mush, Mariam remembers, came Armenia’s hero from Russia, General Andranik who fought the Turks and helped the Armenians on their way to safety.

But many did not survive the journey, including Mariam’s father, Grigor Avoyan, a man well known in Sassoon.

“On the road in snow, in gorges we suffered hunger and thirst. We were killed also on the road.. My parents came with us to Jghin (a village in “Western Armenia”). I remember Jghin; we were hungry when we got there. My father along with others went to gather herbs for us to eat. The Turks appeared and took my father, three other men and two women…”

Besides taking them away the Turkish soldiers made one of the Armenian men write a list of others’ names. After finishing the assignment they called him.

“We ran to Mush.”
    “When he approached the Turk cut off both his ears, put them into his pocket and went away. The man remained in the field. We stayed there a day in the mountains, then we saw the man again. He said the Turks had taken my father Grigor and killed him. The Turk had told my father ‘I was looking for you with a candle, but found you without one’.”

The journey for Mariam’s family began with seven children. It ended with only two. The rest died of starvation and illnesses.

“My elder brother fell ill on the road. My father was at a loss. He said to the people ‘You go. My child is dying’. But my brother died on the road and my father put a stone over his body. My brother and I reached Gharakilisa (now Vanadzor),” Mariam recalls.

“My sister Soseh was older than me -- 12 years old. In those times the 10-12 year old girls were getting married. A Turk used to say to my father: ‘Grigor, give Soseh to my son and I will protect you till the end of your life’. My father said: ‘I will not disgrace Armenia and the Armenian name’. He didn’t give her, saying ‘I will not betray Armenians; Armenians should remain Armenian’.”

Reaching Armenia the remaining family moved from place to place until they settled in the Talin region, where the majority were also from Sasoon.

“We grew up suffering and weeping,” Mariam says. “I neither ate fully, nor slept, nor dressed, nor laughed.”

In 1926 Mariam got married and her own family includes six children and 56 grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Ninety of her 96 years have held memories of horror for which there can be no escape.

“If there was justice on earth, the Armenian genocide would be admitted,” Mariam says.

Link

Turks, what do you have to say about this? Get yourselves lathered in Crisco, cause it's going to be tough to slither out of this one.

Comment

Working...
    X