Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Refuge for a Shepherd’s Girl: A Yezid’s recollection of fleeing death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refuge for a Shepherd’s Girl: A Yezid’s recollection of fleeing death

I found this interesting, so I'm sharing it with you guys...

Zeynab Jauri faced death even before she knew what the word meant.

At 91, Zeynab’s memory isn’t so good, but some things cannot be forgotten

Her words were learned in her native Kurdish language. Armenians would later teach her their language – and the vocabulary would include another word, “genocide”.

Now 91, Zeynab, moves with a walking cane to her sofa in the room that is light and tidy on a gloomy autumn day in Yerevan. She begins her story:

“I can tell what I’ve heard from my relatives. In 1918 when we left our village of Yengukeh in the Kars region for the first time I was only four or five. We fled to an Armenian village, where we stayed for half a year.”

Zeynab, a Yezid (a culture of Kurds, known for their shepherding and transient lifestyle), was among those hundreds of thousands, who narrowly escaped death before she could even realize what the death is.

“In 1919 we returned to Kars. They told us the war is over, you can go back, so we piled all our things – mats, bedding, food, clothes, whatever we had, on the mules and took the way to Kars. Everything was razed to the ground. Turks were taking anything they could – pieces of houses, anything that could be taken away.”

“We stayed there a year or so, may be even less, when one evening someone came to our place and said to get ready for a refuge early in the morning. We bundled up our things on the mules again, took a wagon and left the village in the dawn.”

Zeynab and her brother and sister were placed on one of the mules hauling fleeing Armenians who’d heard war was coming to Kars.

“We reached a village,” tells Zeynab, trying to remember the name of the village. “There were so many villages we have passed, so many we have stayed in I can hardly remember the name of this one.”

Her father found work as a shepherd, taking villagers’ cattle into the fields to graze.

“One day my father did not come back, neither did the cattle,” Zeynab recalls. “The whole village went out to find the shepherd and his cattle.”

Her father was found tied to a tree and blindfolded, unable to say who had taken the cattle.

“We were escaping with the Armenians, for the Turks were killing Yezids along with Armenians. We left the village again.

“Parents were unable to save many small children and many of them were taken away by the whirlpool of the river. It was spring and the current was fast and fierce…”

Along the way, the children were separated from their parents. In Ashtarak they were taken into an orphanage. Her father found her there. But her mother had been separated too and left without finding her children. After arriving in Ashtarak, Zeynab never saw her mother again.

After two years the children were taken to Jalaloghli (now Stepanavan) orphanage and studied in the school there until 1929.

“My brother was working in a (vegetable) oil factory and got half a bottle of oil every day as salary. We would crumble bread into it and eat.

“The Bolsheviks came one day. A girl in red was standing in the street. They forced her to take the red dress off, hung the dress on a stick and declared Soviet rule. The Soviets were good for us – the orphans. They were feeding us.”

From Jalaloghli the orphans were sent to the orphanage in one of Yerevan’s old districts – Kond. Zeynab was sent to study in the first pedagogical technical school for Kurds in the Transcaucasus, in 1930.

Graduating in three years, Zeynab Jauri, a graduate with excellence, began working in the same institution as a teacher. In 1931 she got married.

During the Stalin years, Zeynab and her late husband Hajiye Jndi (also a refugee from another Yezidi village in the Kars region), a professor of linguistics in Soviet times, were persecuted. Alleged as an enemy to the people he was imprisoned, and she was fired from the technical college.

Narrowly escaping the Stalin camps Zeynab and her husband managed to gradually reset their life. Later Zeynab became the first radio anchor for a Kurdish program, and then she was tutor at a number of kindergartens in Yerevan.

“I revived the knowledge of my native language only in Armenia, in the villages near the town of Aparan, where there are many Yezids. Initially, when we first moved to Armenia we knew not a single word in Armenian and it was the people who kept us in the villages that patiently taught us Armenian.”

Zeynab has 5 daughters (the elder daughter died last year), 24 grandchildren and great grandchildren. Her face is quite, calm and enlightened as if the pain she has overcome throughout her life has not touched upon her at all.
Working...
X