Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Taner Akçam: A shameful Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scotsmen

Wed 22 Aug 2007

Taner Akçam whose views have led to death threats
    The historian at war with 'history'
    MILES JOHNSON
    THE houses of history, it is said, are built on unstable foundations, constantly riven by debates over what the study of the past actually is and what it can hope ever to achieve. But for Taner Akçam, those debates are nothing to do with academic self-indulgence, and everything to do with whether what he writes will cost him his freedom or his life.

As one of the first Turkish historians to acknowledge the existence of the Armenian Genocide of 1915, his scholarship has been attacked with the full weight of the Turkish state, which for the last 82 years waged a full-scale war against the memory of more than a million Armenians murdered by the Ottoman government during the First World War.

The Armenian Genocide, the subject to which Taner Akçam has devoted his life's work, is widely seen as one of the "forgotten" genocides of the 20th Century. In his book A Shameful Act: The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility, Akçam explores the reasons for the Turkish state's continued denial of the events of 1915. Born in Ardahan Province in 1953, he was imprisoned for nine years as a student for writing in a journal about the treatment of Turkey's Kurdish minority, a sentence which led to his being recognised by Amnesty International as a prisoner of conscience. After managing to escape, claiming asylum in Germany, he subsequently studied for his PhD on the Armenian Genocide at the University of Hamburg and, after writing numerous articles and several books, is now a visiting history professor at Minnesota University.

The past he writes of is a brutal one. During the First World War the government of the Ottoman Empire, a crumbling multi-ethnic state that had suffered heavy territorial losses after the Balkan wars of 1912/13, was responsible for the forcible deportation of its Armenian community, resulting in the death of over a million people. Before these desperate days, the final Sultans of the "Sick Man of Europe" adopted different strategies to contain the growing nationalism in the Empire's disparate ethnic communities. Five years after the Young Turk cabal of officers seized power in 1908, the shock of losing the majority of their most valuable land in the Balkans saw these strategies replaced by an exclusive pan-Turkism. This was a worldview that had no place for the Armenian Christians who had resided in Anatolia for a thousand years, and after the Empire's entry into the First World War a decision was taken to annihilate its Armenian population. Today there are little more than 50,000 Armenians left in Turkey.

Hitler, as it is often quoted, uttered these words before his invasion of Poland: "Who remembers the Armenians?" And indeed the Turkish state has continued to strive to ensure that the disappearance of its Armenian population remains a secret. For Akçam, the recognition of Turkey's historical wrongdoing would pave the way for the further democratisation of a Republic that has long been subject to the whims of the military since its establishment in 1923. But, in his view, the driving force behind his government's continued refusal to acknowledge its past is the threat this would present to its own foundational mythology.

"There is a strong connection between the foundation of the Turkish Republic and the Armenian Genocide", he says. "Important founding members of the Republic were either participating in the genocide directly or became rich as a result of it. For us, like any other nation, it is not so easy to call the generation of our founding fathers thieves and murderers. It is like Jefferson owning slaves. You cannot write a national history based on this accusation, and this is the basic problem." Akçam hopes that the acknowledgement of the genocide by the Turkish government would pave the way to further democratisation and its entry into the European Union, a process that has been disrupted in recent years by extreme nationalists and the powerful influence of the military.

It is in this difficult relationship that he also sees the potential for a self-reflection that is so far yet to happen. "Turkey has a chance in this regard too," he says. "The founding father of Turkey, Mustapha Kemal Ataturk, openly condemned the genocide as 'a shameful act', hence the title of my book. This could, and should, encourage Turkey to have the same position as their founding father and start from there."

Yet it is Akçam's intimacy with his homeland that has resulted in the wrath of Turkish nationalist groups. Unlike other writers he cannot simply be discounted as an Armenian propagandist or "imperialist". Today is a tumultuous time for Turkish intellectuals. After the assassination of the Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink in January, targeted for his discussion of the genocide, they have been on high alert, granted police protection by the state that for the first time appears to take seriously the death threats from the ultra-nationalist Right. Since the publication of his book last year Akçam, though a resident of the United States, has been the subject of a co-ordinated campaign eerily reminiscent of the build-up to the murder of his friend Dink.

Much of this intimidation takes place on the internet where Akçam has received death threats via e-mail and, as a result of his Wikipedia biography being vandalised, was detained by immigration en route to a lecture in Canada for being a "terrorist". "I take these threats very seriously because we are all, the Turkish intellectuals, paralysed after Hrant's assassination. We see everything within that context. In January when I was in Ankara, in Hrant Dink's office, he was showing me the threatening e-mails he was getting and saying that he was apprehensive and that he was scared. He was also saying that through the campaign in the press they made him an open target. I am worried this will happen to me."

His temporary detention in Canada occurred after unfounded allegations that he was a "terrorist" were spread throughout Internet forums by the anonymous Turkish American "webmaster" of a denialist website. As the lies spread a number of individuals began to vandalise his Wikipedia page, which eventually ended up in the hands of the Canadian authorities. It was after this incident, and attempted physical assaults at several of his lectures, that he took the decision to unmask the shady webmaster co-ordinating the campaign. The result, a full-blown personal attack by the largest Turkish daily newspaper Hürriyet, was a consequence he could not have expected.

"To be honest I never suspected this figure was getting such big support from Turkey," he says. "It means I maybe hit important members of the Turkish Secret Service in America, or somebody else who has very strong connections in Turkey. After I revealed his identity I got a death threat via e-mail where the person said they are going after me and my friends in Turkey, that they will get them first and then come for me. One week after this e-mail, as if there is no other important news in Turkey, the biggest newspaper in the country wrote this article with my picture on the first page."

The Hürriyet article was a vicious personal attack stating, among other allegations, that he was a traitor "vomiting hatred towards his country". "When I saw this I thought this is unbelievable, unimaginable. That the biggest Turkish newspaper writes that I am working against Turkey and a betrayer of the nation, it is a really incriminating campaign designed to criminalise me and my scholarly work. It makes me a target, as they did with Hrant Dink."

It has been said quite dryly that the Turkish intelligentsia are in a strange position in the modern world, where non-intellectuals pay close attention to what they write, none more so than the state's lawyers. Such scrutiny falls upon anyone who dares to attach the 'G word' to the events of 1915. Article 301 of the Turkish penal code, the law that prohibits "insulting Turkishness" became famous outside of the country last year when an attempted prosecution was brought against the Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk for mentioning the "Armenian Question" in a magazine interview.

In spite of such laws and the death threats he has received, Taner Akçam continues to teach and lecture on the events of 1915. It is through an acknowledgement by the Turkish government of the crimes of the past that he hopes his country will build a better future and further the process of an open society. "Just a few days before the recent election the Turkish Prime Minister sent a decree to all governmental agencies inside and outside of Turkey banning the usage of the term 'so-called genocide'," he says. "This is the official language Turkey used when describing 1915, a hugely insulting term to Armenians, and now they will stop. It is these things, the small but important steps, that mean I will always have hope."

• Taner Akçam is at the Book Festival on Monday 27 August at 11am

Related topic

Edinburgh International Book Festival

This article: http://living.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1328472007

Last updated: 22-Aug-07 01:01 BST
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Experts respond to Turkey's Prime Minister on the Armenian genocide question
      by Mrinalini Reddy
      Nov 06, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Turkey’s Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan was in Washington Monday to meet with President Bush to discuss mounting tensions between the Turks and Kurdish rebel factions in Northern Iraq.

Also on the agenda was the Armenian genocide resolution which passed in the House Foreign Affairs Committee last month. The Medill News Service spoke with two experts who have challenged Turkey’s position on the Armenian question and asked them to respond to Erdogan’s comments.

Turkish scholar Taner Akçam, author of “A Shameful Act : The Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility,” is one of the first Turkish academics to acknowledge and discuss openly the killings of Armenians by the Ottoman Turkish government in 1915.

Edward Alexander is a retired U.S. Foreign Service officer and author, born in New York to Armenian parents who fled Turkey.

Erdogan: "Our documents indicate that there is no genocide that has taken place. Those who claim it must prove it. Having simple lobbying activities and trying to achieve a result in this way is unacceptable to Turkey. "

Alexander: "The evidence is overwhelming and to many Armenians, it is utterly preposterous for anyone, especially the Turkish government, to deny what is historical truth. For my research, one of my sources was the German press. My other source was the cables that were sent to Ambassador Henry Morgenthau, the US ambassador in Turkey at the time of the genocide. These are documents that cannot be refuted. In addition, I did research eye-witness reports in Merseburg, Germany."

Akçam: "Our Prime Minister is wrong because we can prove the genocidal intent without any problems. One set of documentation are the trials in Istanbul between 1919 and 1921. These are the indictments, verdicts, hand-written testimonies and eye-witness accounts which were recorded during that time. There is a lot of evidence here showing the killing of the Armenians. The originals of these documents are not known. We assume that they have been destroyed after Turkish nationalists took over Istanbul. [Turkish officials] only trust the documents in prime ministerial archive today in Istanbul. I can show very easily, based on prime ministerial archives, the genocidal intent of Ottoman Turkey. I will publish a book in the Turkish language in 2008 where I am presenting more than 500 documents from prime ministerial archives in Istanbul."

Erdogan: "What took place was called deportation because that was a very difficult time....Given the context of the time and the events that took place, there was provocation by some other countries and the Armenians became part of the rebellion in those years."

Alexander: "One of the newer arguments that they are raising now is that it was the Armenians who attacked the Turks. This is ridiculous. How the Armenians would have done this, having been disarmed, calls for a great stretch of the imagination."

Akçam: "The argument says there were Armenian uprisings. It is simply a lie. The deportations were taking place before any Armenian uprising. There was only one incident in April 1915 and the deportation decree occurred at the end of March. They were individual Armenian deserters and even Armenians were against them. Not only were Armenians deported from eastern Anatolia, they were deported from the entire Anatolia, despite being totally integrated into the Turkish life."

Erdogan: "I wrote a letter to President Kocharian [Republic of Armenia] in 2005. We have suggested the establishment of a joint historical commission and we said that we would make available all documents in our archives…. We aim to reach a common understanding of this painful period in our history, but I still, to date, have not received a response to my letter in 2005."

Alexander: "The position of the Armenian government has always been that they want to have diplomatic relations with Turkey, with no pre-existing conditions. However, the Turkish government did not accept this and laid down its own conditions: 1) the Armenian Diaspora should stop talking about the genocide 2) Armenia and the Azerbijani government should declare peace."

Akçam: "It is a good suggestion. If there is a problem you cannot solve, you have to find ways to talk to each other. First, you need diplomatic relations. How can you establish a commission without even talking? Turkey has pre-conditions for diplomatic relations, which Armenia does not want."

Erdogan: "It is my sincere wish that the US Congress does not keep this resolution and does away with the discussion of this resolution altogether."

Alexander: "This doesn’t surprise me. There is a very strong feeling in the Congress that this may not be the best time to bring up the resolution because of the Iraq/Kurdish situation. The main thing is that it should not be shelved. You have scholars at the International Association of Genocide Scholars come up with the same conclusion. It is simply a move on the part of Turkey to delay the resolution in the hope that eventually those who are true survivors will have died and their offspring, like myself, will be so elderly. I am 87. Turks are hoping that time will weaken the arguments and memory."

Akçam: "The US resolution does and does not matter. It doesn’t matter because it will be a psychological victory, but won’t really solve anything. It does matter because Turkey must understand that threatening with its political strategic power will not solve its list of problems. For instance, Turkey cannot become a member of the European Union if talking about history is a crime."

Erdogan: "This is a problem of the Armenian Diaspora. They are looking for a way to create some sort of benefit for itself and this is what they have found. If this works, then they look to achieve some gains from it. If not, the world will have lost a lot of time."

Alexander: "I don’t know what the gains would be. We are asking only for justice."

Akçam: "It is a stupid distinction to think that there is a difference between Armenians and Armenians in the Diaspora. They are all asking that the perpetrator must face their history."

© Medill Reports, Northwestern University. A Washington publication of the Medill School.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

TANER AKCAM: I CAN SHOW VERY EASILY GENOCIDAL INTENT OF OTTOMAN TURKEY

PanARMENIAN.Net
        12.11.2007 13:39 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Turkey's Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan was in
        Washington to meet with President Bush to discuss mounting tensions
        between the Turks and Kurdish rebel factions in Northern Iraq.

Also on the agenda was the Armenian Genocide resolution which passed
        in the House Foreign Affairs Committee last month. The Medill News
        Service spoke with two experts who have challenged Turkey's position on
        the Armenian question and asked them to respond to Erdogan's comments.

Turkish scholar Taner Akcam, author of "A Shameful Act: The Armenian
        Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility," is one of the
        first Turkish academics to acknowledge and discuss openly the killings
        of Armenians by the Ottoman Turkish government in 1915.

Edward Alexander is a retired U.S. Foreign Service officer and author,
        born in New York to Armenian parents who fled Turkey.

"The evidence is overwhelming and to many Armenians, it is utterly
        preposterous for anyone, especially the Turkish government, to deny
        what is historical truth.

For my research, one of my sources was the German press. My other
        source was the cables that were sent to Ambassador Henry Morgenthau,
        the U.S. ambassador in Turkey at the time of the genocide. These
        are documents that cannot be refuted. In addition, I did research
        eye-witness reports in Merseburg, Germany," Alexander said.

For his part, Mr Akcam said, "Our Prime Minister is wrong because
        we can prove the genocidal intent without any problems. One set of
        documentation are the trials in Istanbul between 1919 and 1921. These
        are the indictments, verdicts, hand-written testimonies and eye-witness
        accounts which were recorded during that time. There is a lot of
        evidence here showing the killing of the Armenians. The originals
        of these documents are not known. We assume that they have been
        destroyed after Turkish nationalists took over Istanbul. [Turkish
        officials] only trust the documents in prime ministerial archive
        today in Istanbul. I can show very easily, based on prime ministerial
        archives, the genocidal intent of Ottoman Turkey. I will publish a
        book in the Turkish language in 2008 where I am presenting more than
        500 documents from prime ministerial archives in Istanbul."

Comment

Prosecution Turns Plaintiff into "Suspect"
          The Bakirköy prosecution dismissed proceedings after historian Akcam filed a complaint against journalist Cölasan and called the plaintiff a "suspect".
          Bıa news centre - İstanbul
          30 Kasım 2007, Cuma

Erol ÖNDEROGLU
          The Bakirköy Chief Public Prosecution has decided to drop proceedings against Emin Cölasan, former journalist with the "Hürriyet" newspaper for an article against historian Prof. Dr. Taner Akcam, who also writes for the Turkish-Armenian Agos newspaper.

Complaint dismissed, plaintiff "suspicious"

Cölasan had said about Akcam that "he insults his country", "he ran away from Turkey years ago", and "he is being fed by the Armenian lobby"; in response, Akcam had filed a complaint against Cölasan.

The decision to drop proceedings was announced on 7 November. The prosecution decided that no trial should be opened against Cölasan and "Hürriyet" newspaper's responsible editor Necdet Tatlican.

In its justification of the dismissal, the prosecution spoke of Taner Akcam as "suspicious" and argued that "there was no insult contrained in the criticism of the suspicious person as a scientist."

Appeal by lawyer

Akcam's lawyer Murat Böbrek objected against the dismissal of proceedings on 22 November. In his appeal to the Eyüp Heavy Penal Court, Böbrek said, "The real victim of the dismissal of proceedings is not Taner Akcam but the state of law."

He added, "[This] expression clearly shows the subconscious opinions of the honourable prosecutor and how the event is being considered from outside the law. According to the prosecutor, the suspicious person is, unfortunately, my client."

"The reason why my client, who is the 'plaintiff' is considered a 'suspect' by the prosecutor is "his publicly known works and some statements". In other words, the prosecutor believes that the 'suspect' client has to accept all kinds of insults because he did not argue in congruence with the opinions of official state authorities in his works as a scientist and historian, and that it is permissible to call him 'a traitor', 'a man fed by the Armenian lobby', etc."

In an article published on 23 June 2007 and entitled "Well done Atilla Koc [Minister of Culture]! Turkey Should Be Introduced Like This!", Cölasan had criticsed the fact that Taner Akcam was listed as a famous Turkish writer on the website of the Ministry of Culture. (EÖ/NZ/AG)

Comment

Working...
          X