Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

PS22 & How Things Go Viral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS22 & How Things Go Viral.

http://ps22chorus.blogspot.com http://facebook.com/ps22chorus http://twitter.com/ps22chorusHehe! Jared (the soloist) insisted we do this, and I'm glad he d...

Videos of 5th-grade chorus at NYC public school draw millions of online viewers.

Music Class Is Hit With Kids, Online Viewers
    Tori Amos, Crowded House and Stevie Nicks Are Among Many Fans of NYC's P.S. 22 Chorus
    By SHARYN ALFONSI and WONBO WOO
    June 10, 2009

Watching Gregg Breinberg effortlessly settle down 60 high-spirited fifth-graders is enough to leave you in awe.

But when he cues his class to open their mouths again, you can't help but be left speechless.

Meet the choir of P.S. 22 from Staten Island, N.Y.

Who knew fifth-graders had so much soul?

"Fortunately, I knew fifth-graders had that much soul," Breinberg said.

Known as "Mr. B" to his students, Breinberg is the first to admit that he's not your typical chorus teacher. At times he acts more like an overgrown fifth-grader than the 35-year-old he is.

As he sees it, his job is to coax students to forget the sheet music and just sing. One of his tactics is to dispense with the usual music class fare.

"That's Coldplay's 'Viva La Vida,'" he said. "No children singing 'Kumbaya' here. ... These kids are so far emotionally beyond that stuff. They need an outlet. These kids, you know, some have been through tough places, some have been through a lot."

About three-quarters of the students at P.S. 22 are eligible for free lunches. Some are struggling at home, Breinberg said. Others are enrolled in special education classes, or are learning English as a second language.

Breinberg said he hopes music gives the kids a chance to overcome whatever barriers they might face.

"You seem to be lost in the song a little bit, closing your eyes and feeling it," 11-year-old student Mariah Baez said. "This just seems to be coming from me, yeah, 'cause first, when I was littler, I was scared about what the people would say. And then now, Mr. Breinberg was like, 'Oh, just feel it.'"

Breinberg said a big part of his work is making his students feel comfortable in their own skins.

"A lot of these kids may be struggling academically, and they may not feel like they are succeeding in other areas," he said. "And they go to this place where they can totally be themselves and be comfortable about being themselves."

That's what happened to Jared Holness, 10. He used to dread speaking in class -- much less singing.

Music Class: 'Eye of the Tiger'
    "I was shy," Jared said. "I thought I was gonna be forced to do a solo, so that's why I was like 'Noooo...'"

Which is what makes Jared's story all the more amazing. After singing with the choir for a few months, he did something completely out of character.

"He came to me with this song -- 'Eye of the Tiger' -- and said, 'Mr. B, can we do this song?' I asked him to sing the part to me 'cause I pretended to, I didn't know how the song went," Breinberg said. "And I was like, 'How does that song go? How does it go?'"

The performance was so stirring that another teacher videotaped it. The class posted the video on YouTube. Today, more than half a million people have watched it.

One who saw was Jared's mom, Hope Holness.

"My friend from Chicago e-mailed me, saying, 'You have to see what these kids at some elementary school is doing -- this is why we need music programs,'" Hope Holness said. "And she sends me this link -- and I was like, 'That's my son!'"

Jared's mother had no idea that her once painfully shy son was an Internet sensation. Jared had found his voice.

Is he still shy?

"I can do this," he said. "But I still can't talk to girls."

And it's exactly that innocence, that ability to overcome obstacles, that has drawn more than 4 million people to the P.S. 22 videos online.

The choir sang with Tori Amos in New York and opened for Crowded House at the Fillmore.

Stevie Nicks, formerly of Fleetwood Mac, said their rendition of the group's song "Landslide" brought her to tears. So now they're singing for her June 11 at Madison Square Garden.

"It is humbling," Breinberg said. "It is truly humbling. I went into this job to teach music. ... I mean, I shouldn't be having the opportunities I'm having."

The kids know they are part of something special. But next month, the music they make together will be just a memory. The fifth-graders will graduate, and most will go on to schools that don't have choir class, because so many music programs have been done in by budget cuts.

"It's heartbreaking," Breinberg said. "A lot of schools don't have music programs anymore. It's very upsetting.

"For some of them, [the program] means everything. It really does," he said. "Some of these kids, I truly believe this program will save their lives, 'cause they will go on and they will know they have something they're good at."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...ht-anteat.html (Find "PS22")

Dave Title points our attention to a public elementary school in New York City (PS22) that is making news for putting together a chorus that sings various pop songs (and sings them well!). The vide…

Will The RIAA Shut Down Public School Kids From Singing Pop Songs On YouTube?
    from the questions,-questions... dept
    Dave Title points our attention to a public elementary school in New York City (PS22) that is making news for putting together a chorus that sings various pop songs (and sings them well!). The videos are quickly spreading around YouTube:

Apparently, Stevie Nicks was so touched by seeing them sing the Fleetwod Mac song above, that she's asked the group to sing at a Fleetwod Mac show in NYC. But, of course, Title wonders how the RIAA feels about all of this:
    However, this seems like a video ripe for takedown by the RIAA. These kids did not get the rights to perform this song and they are now spreading their cover for free! This is just the sort of activity the record industry seems to keen on stopping - whether it is a chorus of school-kids or a couple of people doing a karaoke version of the latest Beyonce tune.

Of course, the idea that this video could somehow create a direct negative impact to the sales of Fleetwood Mac songs is simply absurd. That won't stop groups like the RIAA from spitting out takedown notices and DMCA claims faster than you can say, "hey, that was cute."

Admittedly, the world of copyright law is beyond complicated but we need to find a way to let people legally play with all the content released into the world. People are going to play with it no matter what so it’s really just a question of whether or not energy is spent prosecuting people or facilitating them. I wonder which choice would make more money in the long run.
    Indeed. Hopefully the RIAA knows better, but, remember when the Girl Scouts were threatened for singing songs around the campfire?

Here's another request that came from the kids ( Elijah and Jared ), the teachers, and even from some PS22 Chorus fans too. The song, " Do...
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22
Working...
X