Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Democratic Armenian Diaspora "DAD"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yedtarts
    replied
    Re: Democratic Armenian Diaspora "DAD"

I saw Harout Sassounian on Armenian TV talking about “DAD”, I would say it’s a brilliant idea, bringing all the Diaspora Armenians together around one table democratically vote about issues that concerns our destiny and make them speak as one voice against Armenia’s and Armenians’ enemies.

Leave a comment:

• Tigranakert
    replied

A dangerous and stupid idea. We have one country, one parliament, one Armenia. This ´extra´ government will just seperate the Diaspora Armenians more from Armenia. We do not need a ´second´ government compromised of stupid Diaspora individuals which Western countries can easily infiltrate.

Diaspora Armenians just need to get involved in the current politics and socio-economic life in Armenia. If you want to change something, you have to do it from the inside, slowly but steadily this is being done.

Leave a comment:

• gegev
    replied

DAD is a great idea I’m its proponent too. Now it is the very time; polishing its ideological framework & organizational structure.

It would be great if Armenian government, president and National Assembly will assist creating the organization offices in Diaspora & in Armenia itself, as a consultative body with detailed list of (clearly outlined & limited) responsibilities and obligations.
    Last edited by gegev; 12-24-2010, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Armanen
    replied

Gerard Cafesjian just warned about what Haykakan mentioned above.

"If the exodus of people from the Republic of Armenia is not stanched, the Armenian people will eventually become extinct through intermarriage" thus making the Genocide of Armenians complete, Mr. Cafesjian warned.

Leave a comment:

• Haykakan
    replied

Well great! Another democratic structure ripe for abuse, manipulation and corruption... I will bet this will have the same results the ANCA boasts of while in reality all it does is spin its wheels and takes in buckets of cash. I realy would like to be optomistic but not much in the diaspora gives me reason to feel that way. Instead of participating in nationbuilding most diaspora organizations prefer to waist their time and resources on empty promises and lies of the USA polititions. This makes them feel good since they can say "i called my congressman about the bill # blehblehbleh" when in reality it made absolutely no difference and will not even be heard by the politition. The diaspora needs to connect with the homeland and do what it can to improve life there so that one day we will want to go live there ourselves instead of waisting our time, money and other resources on empty promises as the armenian people assimilates into oblivion. I have gone over this before and will conclude with saying that it is the end result that will matter and the present course of the diaspora leads it exectly to where the turck intended it to go. Something different needs to be done.

Leave a comment:

• londontsi
    replied

The full conference can be watched here.
    I am afraid it is a bit long.

Leave a comment:

• UrMistake
    started a topic Democratic Armenian Diaspora "DAD"

Democratic Armenian Diaspora "DAD"

It feels as a new start a great step,the idea of democratic election of representatives of armenian diaspora communities is indeed enthusiastic and promise better days for all of us and for our diaspora homelands.

Conference Participants Enthusiastically Support Elective Diaspora Leadership By Harut SassounianPublisher, The California Courier After much anticipation and lengthy preparations, the Institute of Armenian Studies at the University of Southern California (USC) held on November 20 a successful international symposium - "The Armenian Diaspora: Elective Leadership and Worldwide Structure."
    The symposium was attended by 600 enthusiastic participants from throughout the United States, Canada, Russia, Australia, and Europe. The speakers were: Dr. Z.S. Andrew Demirdjian, Cal State University, Long Beach, 'The Persuasive Power of Numbers: A Call for Political Clout'; Dr. Archalus Tcheknavorian-Asenbauer, Senior UN Advisor, Vienna, 'Armenian Unity and International Politics'; Harut Sassounian, Publisher, The California Courier, 'Proposal for a Popularly Elected Structure to Represent Diaspora Armenians'; Dr. Gaidz Minassian, Foundation for Strategic Research, Paris, 'Toward a World Council of Armenians: Why, How, Who?'; Gov. George Deukmejian, 'Personal Reflections of California's First Armenian Governor'; Honorable Grigor Hovhannissian, Consul General of Armenia, Los Angeles, 'Welcoming Remarks'; former U.S. Ambassador to Armenia John Evans, 'Maximizing Influence in a World of Nation-States: A Challenge for the Armenian Diaspora'; journalist/author Mark Arax, Fresno, 'The Power of Speaking to the Media with One Collective Voice'; Dr. Levon Marashlian, Glendale Community College, 'The Necessity and Difficulty of Establishing a Diaspora Congress'; Dr. Stephan Astourian, Univ. of California, Berkeley, 'The Traditional Armenian Parties and the Problem of Pan-Armenian Coordination'; Dr. R. Hrair Dekmejian, USC and Dr. Nyree Derderian, Stanford University, 'Models and Modalities of Creating a Trans-Diaspora Framework,' followed by a round table discussion between the speakers and the audience.

My own remarks were an expanded version of the article I wrote nine months ago, proposing the creation of a democratically-elected structure that would represent all Armenians in the Diaspora.

I stated that a growing number of Armenians have realized that a collective effort is necessary if they are to survive as a dispersed ethnicity detached from its homeland. Beyond the need to preserve the Diaspora's vibrancy and cultural identity, Armenians share a common quest for justice from Turkey and a firm commitment for the security and economic prosperity of the twin Republics of Armenia and Artsakh. Armenians have finally concluded that they can benefit immensely from pooling their limited resources and jointly tackling common problems facing all Diaspora communities.

As outlined in my February article, I elaborated about the framework of establishing an elected body that would legitimately represent Armenians throughout the Diaspora, except those in Armenia and Artsakh, who already reside in state structures with elected governments. Thus, for the first time in Diaspora's history, Armenians would elect their own representatives or leaders, on the basis of one-man, one vote.

I also suggested that elections be held by Armenian communities to choose one representative for each group of 20,000 Armenians. The collective body of 350 representatives from all electoral districts throughout the Diaspora would become the entity that can legitimately claim to speak in the name of all seven millions Armenians, outside of Armenia and Artsakh. Popular elections would encourage the silent majority to get involved in community affairs. This would be a dramatic shift from the current situation where a small number of individuals work around the clock, sacrificing their time and effort, while most Armenians, who are unaffiliated with any organization remain disengaged and disinterested. Should such grassroots elections succeed, large numbers of Armenians would feel empowered and energized, having actively participated in choosing their leaders.

The academic symposium held on Nov. 20 is the first of many steps necessary before launching the ambitious initiative of creating a worldwide representative structure. A team of researchers should now explore and determine the optimum mechanisms to conduct such elections, estimate the demography of each community, establish qualifications for both voters and candidates, and recommend measures to prevent voter fraud.

Conference participants were particularly interested in hearing Dr. Minassian's presentation of a detailed plan unanimously approved by French-Armenian organizations to hold popular elections for a representative leadership early next year. The French experience could serve as a most valuable precedent for other Diaspora communities.

It was made clear at the conference that a single electoral plan cannot be applied uniformly to all Armenian communities. Since each community lives in a unique legal and political environment, it would be necessary to devise an appropriate plan for selecting representatives in each country, in consultations with local leaders.

It was interesting to note that when Prof. Dekmejian asked the audience if they favored an elective Diaspora structure, almost everyone raised their hands, indicating enthusiastic support for establishing a united Diaspora leadership framework.

The proceedings of the symposium could be viewed on the following website:http://capture.usc.edu/mediasite/Vie...0cb76ebe456d1d
Working...
X