Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Which Orthodox church to join

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Orthodox church to join

I know the Eastern Orthodox are not in communion with the Oriental Orthodox, but if you were/wanted to be Orthodox, but the Armenian Church was not an option, would you join the Coptic, Greek, or Antiochian church, or Orthodox Church of America?

Re: Which Orthodox church to join

How can Armenian Church not be an option? The only true church is the Holy Armenian Apostolic Church!
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      How can Armenian Church not be an option?
      Language for now, drive time, working two jobs during the week and having a mid-day Sunday study group for a class I need to pass for a job. It's for the future. I know there are a couple of Armenians at the local Coptic church and the local Greek church. I have not been to any others yet.

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      The only true church is the Holy Armenian Apostolic Church!
      Oh, is that why it is in communion with the Coptic, Syriac, Indian Malankara, and Ethiopian Orthodox churches?

Comment

There can only be one True path. You must choose wisely.

Just the fact that there are so many random churches around should tell you something about them all
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Random? I have hardly set foot in a Protestant/non-denom church in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
            Oh, is that why it is in communion with the Coptic, Syriac, Indian Malankara, and Ethiopian Orthodox churches?
            What does that matter? Our church in fact is rather independent in nature. We have very little to none interaction with those churches.

Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Interesting note about the independence of the Armenian church. The pics don't add much (though they are quite lovely naturally). I have already seen a lot of them online from when I first went to an Armenian Orthodox church a year and a half ago, before an injury, the reassignment of the deacon I was talking with, an almost complete change in my schedule, and a more strongly realized career need to learn another language than Armenian (or any of my other fav languages).

Comment

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
                Interesting note about the independence of the Armenian church. The pics don't add much (though they are quite lovely naturally). I have already seen a lot of them online from when I first went to an Armenian Orthodox church a year and a half ago, before an injury, the reassignment of the deacon I was talking with, an almost complete change in my schedule, and a more strongly realized career need to learn another language than Armenian (or any of my other fav languages).
                In the Holy Writ there is something about "giving up everything you have for the pearl of great price". The Armenian Church is that great pearl. I would suggest you go to an Armenian Orthodox Church, I don't understand how there is even another option. It is the greatest institution on the face of the earth. You can follow along with the English translation in the liturgy books until you can fit in the time (are you SURE you don't have 30 minutes per day?) to learn Armenian. Plus you will learn a lot of language just by listening every week.

How can you choose to give up Grigor Narekatsi, Nersess of Lambron, and Nersess Shnorhali? We have such a treasure in our own church. Narekatsi's "Book of Lamentations" is such an expression of Armenian Christianity and is basically inexhaustible in content.

You shouldn't view the Armenian Church as an obstacle to overcome. Heck, even many people from the OCA (American Orthodox which is a jurisdiction of its own, born out of the Russian tradition) find that understanding Orthodoxy and the Liturgy as taken them 5 or more years...

I would strongly argue against joining Coptic/Syriac church, based on the fact that although sometimes they might do their liturgies in English, there is a lot of cultural baggage that comes along with these churches which as an American-born person, you will probably not understand. It is a different world-view, where as 9 times out of 10 the Armenian Church usually bridges that gap for Americans. Even if you happen to stumble upon a more "foreign" Armenian church, at least you will be learning YOUR culture! Also, Antiochian church is not in communion with us, they are in communion with the Greeks.
                Last edited by yerazhishda; 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I'd check em all out, I'd probably learn something interesting

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                    I'd check em all out, I'd probably learn something interesting
                    Huh. I forgot about this thread. I'm going to check out others, but my chrismation will be Armenian, and is coming up soon. My Armenian is still bad, but I visited one with an American-born priest when I stayed at a friend's place for an event.
                    Last edited by Hyegirl; 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X