Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Conferderacy of Morons: The New Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also would like to see the archives of the infamous MIT!
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

The Dangers of the Armenian genocide resolution

Michael Radu, Ph.D.
      Co-Chairman
      Center on Terrorism, Counter-Terrorism, and Homeland Security
      Foreign Policy Research Institute
      1528 Walnut Street, Suite 610
      Philadelphia, PA 19102
      Tel. 215-732-3774
      Fax 215-732-4401

The Dangers of the Armenian genocide resolution

Not only does Armenia continue to occupy a large part of Azerbaijan’s territory, much beyond its admittedly legitimate claims to the Nagorno-Karabakh region, but is serves as the cat’s paw of Moscow

By Michael Radu

The European Union has told Turkey that in order to become a “true democracy” worth joining it, it must acknowledge responsibility for the 1915 Armenian “genocide,” even if the Republic of Turkey as such did not exist until 1923.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has now decided to bring to a vote a non-binding resolution declaring the events of 1915 in Eastern Anatolia a “genocide.” Despite its moralistic claims, this is a dangerous—indeed, in the present circumstances, a highly irresponsible—assault on U.S. national interests in Iraq and elsewhere.

The issue is both clear in terms of whose interests are at stake and complex as to the events themselves. For many Armenians in the U.S. (concentrated in California—Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., was the bill’s sponsor), the issue is hate for everything Turkish and an attempt to rewrite history for emotional fulfillment. For Armenians in Armenia, it is the hoped-for beginning of a process leading to compensation, including financial, from Ankara, and a welcome diversion from their domestic difficulties.

Central to the issue is the definition of events during World War I in the Ottoman Empire. A few key facts are clear. One is that many hundreds of thousands (over a million, according to the Armenian lobby) Armenians in Eastern Anatolia died at that time, of exhaustion and famine as well as killed by Kurdish villagers and Ottoman soldiers. It is also a fact that the Armenian community and its leadership in Anatolia at the time took arms against the Ottomans, in open alliance with the latter’s traditional enemy, Russia. Invading Russian troops and Armenian irregulars, whose occupation of the city of Van was the immediate cause of the deportation of Armenians, also engaged in indiscriminate violence, albeit on a smaller scale, against the mostly Kurdish population of the area; and all that during a war in which the very fate of the Ottoman Empire was being decided.

Whether the Ottoman authorities were guilty of “genocide” in a legal sense is doubtful, since the term itself did not exist in international law until after World War II; in a moral sense, doubts could also be raised, since if “genocide” means intentional destruction of a specific group because of its nationality, religion, race, etc., the survival of the Armenian community of Istanbul, outside the conflict area, is hard to explain. But leaving all this aside, there is one reality that cannot be ignored. That is that whatever happened in 1915 happened under the Ottoman Empire, not under the Turkish Republic, established in 1923. Thus contemporary Turkey is no more responsible for the events of 1915 than Russia is for Stalin’s annexation of the Baltic states or the Federal Republic of Germany for the pre-1914 colonial abuses of the Wilhelmine Empire.

In regional terms, any form of open American support for Armenian claims against Turkey would only encourage Yerevan to persist in its destabilizing role.

Not only does Armenia continue to occupy a large part of Azerbaijan’s territory, much beyond its admittedly legitimate claims to the Nagorno-Karabakh region, but is serves as the cat’s paw of Moscow, the former colonial power in the Caucasus and still the main threat to its stability.

The main problem, however, is still Turkey. Turkish nationalism, on the rise as it is and now with a disturbing new element of anti-Americanism, reaches hysterical levels when the Armenian issue is mentioned. Although most elites may not share it yet, it is unlikely that they could control a wave of anti-Americanism if the U.S. House of Representatives considers the proposed resolution. And it cost the French billions in lost or cancelled contracts with Turkey when the lower house of their parliament passed a resolution last year making it a crime to deny that genocide occurred.

France had no strategic interests in Turkey, nor is Paris known for its traditional pro-Turkish sympathies. The United States, however, has a vital interest in a friendly Turkey, a NATO ally of long standing, Israel’s only friend in the region, and a neighbor of Iran, Syria, and Iraq. The latter is particularly important now.

As it is, Ankara has a legitimate complaint against our main Iraqi allies, the Kurds, for their inaction or implicit tolerance of the terrorist PKK organization, which is safely ensconced in Iraqi Kurdistan. So far, the Turks have demonstrated, most of the time, an admirable patience with PKK terrorist attacks across the border, but a less than friendly Turkish military could not be counted on to continue on that path. Nor could Ankara be expected, if it is insulted by Washington, to stand by if Kirkuk, with its large Turkoman minority, is annexed by the Iraqi Kurds. Are those likely consequences worth paying for the sake of the emotional satisfaction of the Armenian lobby?

The answer is clearly negative, which is why Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and now George W. Bush all opposed such attempts. The House leadership does not seem to mind doing damage to our relations with the only democratic and secular Muslim state in the region at a crucial time. Although the intended measure is non-binding, and thus it avoids a presidential veto, that does not make it harmless or intelligent.

Michael Radu, Ph.D., is Co-Chair of FPRI’s Center on Terrorism, Counter-Terrorism, and Homeland Security. He is currently at work on a book on Islamism in Europe.

Gavur

The author (or should I say hired gun!) above is mistaken or is misleading when he states about this new danger of ant-yankee behaviour of Turks.

I still remember the go home yankee slogans and protests towards the 6th fleet in the '60 's when they visited Istanbul.
      Besides I don't (nor any sober human being) think a non-binding resolution is what's stirring up the Turks .
      Mostly it is the Zionist doctrine we seem to be imposing on the world ,
      I mean our global reputation has suffered enough at no gain to us the American public, spare us this one moment of decency under the Zionist sun Mr. Radu.
      To me it is obvious that you haven't lifted up many history or geography book's but I would have at least learned some common sense in Romania where you emmigrated from!

Or did the sound of some loose change make you forget?
      "All truth passes through three stages:
      First, it is ridiculed;
      Second, it is violently opposed; and
      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

11. Halacoglu wants Turkey to cut off relations with all state that have recognized the Armenians Genocide. He Yusuf, good luck to you. I hope your campaign works and Turkey cuts off relations with all of these states. Let me know if I can help you in anyway

Yusuf Halacoglu: Erdogan should demand 19 countries to ground their recognition of ‘Armenian genocide’

[ 02 Apr 2007 19:29 ]

“Prime Minister Rajab Tayyib Erdogan should immediately appeal to 19 countries, which recognized the events happened in 1915 as genocide. These countries should be demanded to ground their decisions to recognize these events as genocide.

The Prime Minister should note if these countries can not give proofs, we will break all relations with them,” chief of Turkish Historical Society, Professor Yusuf Halacoglu told the APA’s Turkey bureau.
        “I am sure that none of these countries will be able to reply to us within a month. Then the Prime Minister should hold press conference and clarify Turkey’s relations with these countries,” he said.
        The professor suspects that some documents in Armenian archives have disappeared.
        “We will soon find out whether our doubts are groundless or not. Foreign scientists want to investigate mass graveyards in Turkey, and the government has already given positive answer. Such a mass graveyard will be opened in Hatay on April 24. Unlike Armenians, we announced that our archives are open. Turkey is ready to pay for opening dashnak (Armenian) archives in Boston,” he said.
        Chief of Turkish Historical Society also spoke of the necessity of united struggle against claims on ‘Armenians genocide’.
        “Armenia does not recognize Turkey’s borders regulated by Kars treaty of 1921. Why does Armenia demand opening of the neighboring country’s borders which it does not recognize? Border is the main means to exert pressure on Armenia – when 20% of Azerbaijani territories are under occupation. No government in Turkey can bring the issue on opening of borders with Armenia,” he stressed. /APA/
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Isn't Halacoglu supposed to be a "historian". How come he seems more like a politician than a historian?

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
            Isn't Halacoglu supposed to be a "historian". How come he seems more like a politician than a historian?
            In addition to being a "historian" and possibly a facist "politician", he might also be a hairdresser which you can see by his always marvelous and emaculate coif. If it was 1977, he could get a part on CHIPS.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
              In addition to being a "historian" and possibly a facist "politician", he might also be a hairdresser which you can see by his always marvelous and emaculate coif. If it was 1977, he could get a part on CHIPS.

LOL, he definitely gives Donald Trump a run for his money! He should change his name to Halikafa (rug head)!

Comment

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts here yet but I wish you wouldn't call the Turks morons (which is the feeling I get when I read the title of the thread)...(I feel upset

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
                  I haven't had a chance to read all the posts here yet but I wish you wouldn't call the Turks morons (which is the feeling I get when I read the title of the thread)...(I feel upset
                  Jade, you shouldn't feel offended, because these words do not include every single Turk and Kurd. I know literally it means so BUT if you were in our shoes, wouldn't you do the same?

I personally will write Turkish Government, OR, majority of Turks, etc. BUT its hard always to write such long sentences when it comes to comments about Turks, because; 90-95% are against our case and the remaining is divided between neutrals and for our case ...

in conclusion, its easier to say Turks in general than excluding this minority % in every single post (assuming those minority Turks would understand they're excluded) as I assume you already know that you’re excluded …

Comment

12. Warning a country not to recognize the Armenia Genocide and use that ther term after they have already made the proclaimation official

Turkey ‘warned’ Canada and U.S. against using term ‘genocide’ April 24
                    25.04.2007 14:36 GMT+04:00
                    /PanARMENIAN.Net/ Turkey warned Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper last week not to issue an April 24 declaration where the incidents of 1915 are defined as genocide. The Canadian Parliament recognized the Armenian Genocide and Harper became one of the few heads of state to use the word “genocide” in his written statement during 2006.

Wary of these genocide claims spreading to other countries including the United States, Turkey is trying hard to block efforts by the Armenian Diaspora in almost every country in the world.

Canadian Prime Minister Harper was warned through diplomatic channels last week that “repeating these claims annually will not help in normalizing Turkey-Armenia relations and will harm Turkish-Canadian bilateral relations as well.” “We hope that the Canadian PM will not repeat this year what he did last year,” a high-level Foreign Ministry official said, the Turkish Daily News reports.

Ankara made the same diplomatic attempt with the United States before April 24 where President George W. Bush also issues a declaration. Turkish officials said Ankara is not expecting Bush to use the word genocide. U.S. presidents prefer to define the incidents in 1915 as a massacre.

Canadian Prime Minister Steven Harper made a statement in connection with the 92nd anniversary of the Armenian Genocide. “Today we recall the horrible losses of 1915 in the Ottoman Empire, particularly the terrible tragedy of the Armenian nation. Last year I reminded, the both chambers of Canadian Parliament adopted a resolution that recognizes the first genocide of the 20th century. This day makes us remember why we should do everything possible to guarantee rule of human rights and democratic freedoms in our times. Today Canadians with Armenian and Turkish descent live side by side and share values of tolerance. We hope Armenia and Turkey will guide themselves with those values in order to develop their relations. Together with you we recall the past and share your hopes for building the future based on peace and mutual respect,” said Steven Harper in his statement.
                    George W. Bush failed to define the events of 1915 as genocide in his annual April 24 statement.

Comment

13. Please Read the article below:

You see, by speaking to Armenians in Armenian, we can convince Armenians to drop their campaign for Genocide recognition. How ingenious

TURKEY APPOINTS DIPLOMATS WITH ARMENIAN LANGUAGE SKILL TO COUNTRIES WITH STRONG ARMENIAN DIASPORA

Azeri Press Agency, Azerbaijan
                      May 16 2007

Turkish Foreign Ministry will appoint diplomats who know Armenian
                      language to diplomatic positions in the countries where Armenian
                      Diaspora is strong. This step is taken for struggling against the
                      so-called Armenian genocide claim, Diplomatic sources told the APA
                      Turkish bureau.

Chief of Foreign Ministry's Armenian Office Suleyman Gokcha has been
                      appointed to Turkish Embassy in US. Except Gokcha, three more Turkish
                      diplomats speaking Armenian fluently have been appointed to positions
                      in Turkish Consulates where Armenian Diaspora is strong. Following
                      this, Turkish Foreign Ministry will continue to qualify diplomats
                      speaking Armenian fluently.

Comment

Working...
                      X