Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Which Orthodox church to join

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Orthodox church to join

I think the Choir in the armenian church is one of the things i liked about our church. The person doing the preaching has a lot to do with someone liking one church over another. We had a preachere "dont know about official church title) here who was a very spiritual and caring person and someone like that is easy to spend a couple hours listening to. There have also been plenty of preachers who were vulgar or lead their sermun like a drill sargent and these were not very pleasent. If you actually listen to what the preachers say you will get a good idea about what kind of a person he is and if you want to be seeeing him on a sunday. Some armenian preachers have said very stupid things in mass while others have been smart in a spiritual way. People and speech skills and the intellect of the preacher may be the difference in the decision making. I have seen both good and bad in the same church many times so even if you find what you like today it may not stay that way.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

I really like this priest. I'm also glad that even if I don't stay there for long, I will be officially Orthodox.

I don't know what to wear to my chrismation. Any suggestions anyone?

Comment

Orthodox?? You mean Armenian Apostolic?
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
          Orthodox?? You mean Armenian Apostolic?
          Ayo. Wasn't it called Orthodox though until the Soviets took over or somehow Russia got more involved and the Russian/Eastern Orthodox wanted to keep that name to themselves? Or was it the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by Hyegirl View Post
            Ayo. Wasn't it called Orthodox though until the Soviets took over or somehow Russia got more involved and the Russian/Eastern Orthodox wanted to keep that name to themselves? Or was it the other way around?
            Well it's better to refer to it as Apostolic. This also lessens confusion, since 'orthodox' label is often times confused for "Eastern Orthodox" which Armenian Church isn't part of. We have a rather independent Church, in communion with Syriac and Coptic Churches. We notably reject the Council of Chalcedon We are more accurately a Miaphysite Churche, as with that rejection, we believe that Jesus Christ had one single nature rather than 2.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Well it's better to refer to it as Apostolic. This also lessens confusion, since 'orthodox' label is often times confused for "Eastern Orthodox" which Armenian Church isn't part of. We have a rather independent Church, in communion with Syriac and Coptic Churches. We notably reject the Council of Chalcedon We are more accurately a Miaphysite Churche, as with that rejection, we believe that Jesus Christ had one single nature rather than 2.
              Yeah, I know the Copts say Chalcedon was a matter of translation, but then an other argument from the Oriental/miaphysite perspective is that Chalcedonian dyophysite are closer to Nestorianism, which I do not know much about. Do you know why?

Comment

Yeah, I know the Copts say Chalcedon was a matter of translation, but then an other argument from the Oriental/miaphysite perspective is that Chalcedonian dyophysite are closer to Nestorianism, which I do not know much about. Do you know why?
                Interesting section from Wiki regarding Nestorianism/DYophysite:

Dyophysite has also been used to describe Nestorianism, the doctrine ascribed to the Patriarch Nestorius of Constantinople by his detractors, which asserted that Christ existed as two persons (hypostases): the human Jesus and the divine Logos. The use of it to describe those who supported the Chalcedonian position (who continued on as the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches) is tantamount to accusing them of being Nestorian, which they were not as they emphasised the complete and perfect unity of the two natures in one hypostasis. For the Chalcedonians the hypostasis was the centre of Jesus' unity (his divinity and humanity being described as natures) whereas those who rejected the Chalcedonian definition saw his nature as the point of unity. Many historical theologians and ecumenists believe it was and continues to be more a difference of terminology than actual belief.
                so on another point, you recently converted to the Armenian Church? from what church or religion you converted?
                Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                ---

Comment

so on another point, you recently converted to the Armenian Church? from what church or religion you converted?
                  Sort of ex-Messianic/Ex-denominationally agnostic Christian, ex-nondenominational, ex-almost Catholicism inquirer getting a ride to church where a college student can, ex-Lutheran. I've been around a few denominations. I'm still trying to get the last of Catholicism out of my head and need to read up on an eastern take on sacraments.
                  Last edited by Hyegirl; 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Sort of ex-Messianic/Ex-denominationally agnostic Christian, ex-nondenominational, ex-almost Catholicism inquirer getting a ride to church where a college student can, ex-Lutheran. I've been around a few denominations. I'm still trying to get the last of Catholicism out of my head and need to read up on an eastern take on sacraments.
                    So you are just trying different denominations out?? What attracted you to the Armenian Church?
                    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                    ---

Comment

So you are just trying different denominations out?? What attracted you to the Armenian Church?
                      I blame my parents and youthful my willingness to listen to others to the point of not really making up my own mind for myself.

How many answers do you want of things that attracted me to the Armenian church? I think in the end, it goes back to the flaws of Catholicism and my exposure to Catholicism and former attraction to it as a young child. Armenian Apostolic is one of the few churches I could happily live with, one of the few that combines all the best of Catholicism, with better theology, and a lot of common sense. I'll find you a dozen more attractions if you want (admittedly some better than others).
                      Last edited by Hyegirl; 09-24-2012, 09:55 PM. Reason: Added not really to "point of not really making"

Comment

Working...
                      X