Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Dissecting "Mulholland Dr."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissecting "Mulholland Dr."

Introduction:
    This is one of the best movies ever made and I am not saying that because I am being fooled by the seemingly nonsensical presentation. Those who do not understand the story are criticizing those who are praising the film by saying that they are assuming it is genius because they don not understand the film. This movie is minimally allegorical. A great majority is quite literal. A simple story with a beginning, middle and end. People become confused by the film because they try to find a deeper, more philosophical meaning than is being presented and fail to realize that the crypticness comes from a chopped up plot resembling that of Pulp Fiction combined with a very long and rather explanatory fantasy sequence.

The General Plot:
    Diane moves to L.A. after a jitterbug contest to get into acting. At an audition, she meets Camilla with whom she falls in love. Diane becomes enraged with jealousy since Camilla has relations with other people. Diane discovers the other man (the director) at a film shoot and discovers the other woman (a random blond) at the engagement party for Camilla and the director. Motivated by her rage and possessiveness, Diane hires a hit man to kill Camilla. After that is done, she is overcome by loneliness and slips into an unconscious, possibly artificially induced, fantasy world where she lives the life she wants to. Diane is then awakened. In her conscious state she is haunted by what she has done.

The Significance of the Fantasy:
    The film starts out, after the credits, with a brief, “first person point of view” shot depicting somebody collapsing onto a bed and slipping into unconsciousness. This is where Diane's fantasy starts. The following accident is there as an excuse for her to "bring back" her dead girlfriend and justify the fantasy life by showing that the attempt on her life failed. She depicts her newfound girlfriend as meek and innocent because that is what she wished she was. In the meantime, she acts like everything is "like in the movies" because she has an escapist personality. She also, in a sense, kills herself off and assumes the identity of a waitress named Betty at a diner. The story revolving around the director is a direct result of her feeling that he was in someway victimized in reality just as she was and "convinces" herself that he was forced to choose Camilla. Camilla Rhoades in the fantasy is actually the random blond from the engagement party. She hated her so much that she turned her into Camilla and made the ultimate antagonist. She then took the real Camilla and turned her into a perfect, submissive out-of-the-movies girlfriend and used Rita Hayworth as an inspiration. She also paints the hit man as a very clumsy and incapable person to further justify the survival of Camilla. Her fantasy world, unfortunately for her, was a search for Diane which ended up being herself and made the dreamworld die by taking her through a series of reminders of reality. The first reminder was Club Silencio which chanted “there is no band” and expressed that “the instruments” you hear are not really there; this is a metaphor for the fantasy. She begins to shake violently because it shakes her perception of her surroundings. The other reminder is the blue box. Actually, the blue box is not the reminder itself, but the blue key that opens the box. The blue key reminds her of the actual death of Camilla because it is what the hit man said would show up when it was done. The blue box is the resulting “can o’ worms.” Along with having love, this entire creation of hers is an escape from reality by living in the idealized Hollywood that she expected to be part of when she arrived.

Additional Elements:
    The mafia elements are derived from the engagement party. It was the translation of the lack of control she had felt during that evening.

Did she feel sympathy for the director? She sure did. One must remember that all of the misfortunes he endured were all in her fantasy and that means, if you feel sorry for him, so does she. The looks they apparently exchanged when she walked into the studio during the fantasy sequence is telling of that. In addition, the fact that she agreed to go to the engagement party and how she acted before the random blond showed up suggested she had come to terms with the relationship of Camilla and the director.

The fantasy begins with a detective saying they need to find the girl with the pearl earring. The fantasy ends with the painting "Girl with the Pearl Earring" in the hallway.

"You look like somebody else." Yes, this is the beginning of her realization that her fantasy girlfriend and her fantasy blond enemy are intertwined.

David Lynch is a fan of using the color blue as an expression of tension of change. It is apparent very strongly in Lost Highway and was carried over from Blue Velvet.

David Lynch also hates Hollywood with a passion and his take on it is a secondary commentary that is very bluntly presented. Or maybe it is the primary comment...

The Allegory:
    The allegorical aspect of the film is the man behind the Winkie’s and the occurrences surrounding him. This, I believe, is where David Lynch leaves things open for interpretation; the message, if you will. Though the artist has his interpretation, what the man stands for is dependant on the viewer and his or her individual response to the literal elements of the film. Does he symbolize an aspect of the human psyche? Does he symbolize Hollywood?

Conclusion:
    This is a story showing the psychology of a very troubled woman who lost a dream. It is not series of random things specifically designed to disturb, it is not a commentary about the human condition via chaos and it is not a cryptic philosophical message. It is an unfortunate chunk of the human condition that is presented beautifully. It is cinematic perfection. Enjoy.

Originally posted by dusken
    ...expression of tension of change...
    This should read "expression of tension or change."

Comment

Somebody from another forum who disagrees with me....

Originally posted by Number6
      NOTE: Can't be sure but I think this is too long for the space available - if it gets cut off I'll post a second half.

[dusken], and any others interested.

Interesting interpretation...bet you've convinced a lot of people with that one...sounds practiced...I too have a well worn theory that is quite different.

Here then in abbreviated form:

Mullholland Dr. - a combined interpretive effort from myself and long term writing partner -

This is mostly literal by the way, not strictly speaking allegorical-

Gollosary of terms:

The following Lynchisms will be used to facilitate this theorization:

Black / White Lodge: (Origin Twin Peaks) refering to the equally infinite unknowabley vast abstractions encompassing both Metaphysical "evil" and Metaphysical "goodness" - The dual (nod in your direction Ikon) nature of divinity / man.

Agent: knowingly or not, characters in this film are utilized, for lack of a better metaphore, like chess pieces; I will be attaching characters to either one of the above mentioned forces and refering to them as "agents of."

Doppellganger - Double...everyone but a few transcendent characters has one...those without distinct names will be referred to as well as can be managed in english. This portion is strange because some are identical in appearance, and others simply by function.

Introduction:
      Los Angeles is Purgatory...literally. Camilla Rhodes' soul is trapped and forced to relive her own culpability in the death of Diane / Betty in an infinite cycle. But there is an accident.

Exposition:
      We open at the end of a cycle...Camilla is about to be murdered by the necessarily re-played events that were put in motion ostensibly by her victim (diane/betty) but more appropriately for this interpretation by agents of both the black and white lodge.

In an event that has likely played out an uncountabley large number of times, Camilla prepares to recieve death; but there is an accident - something that is not supposed to happen by definition. This accident is of supreme importance, it is the means by which the characters and (by extension) the audience breaks free from the cycle and becomes aware. At any rate, there is an accident and Camilla becomes NOT CAMILLA (Distinct from Camilla). By virtue of the accident her memory is lost and ironically enough she survives it and her destined death...this is a major problem for both governing powers. "The Girl...is still missing"

Meanwhile, the new cycle has already begun; Diane is at this point quite dead and has reappeared all happy and innocent as Betty, who, unfortunately for her is an agent of the Black Lodge; an unwitting one, but an agent nonetheless, she is sent out to fullfill the required passion play for Camilla Rhodes to simultaneously take part in and Witness...

But (gasp) Betty has a run in with NOT CAMILLA before she can meet Camilla on the set of her pre-planned audition. Together, the two will ultimately reveal the facade that traps them both. Unfortunately we will never be privy to the results.

In typical Lynch fashion he will let the audience know almost everything without revealing anything by presenting the key very early in the film without the greater context required to open the lock.

The poor bastard at winkies is some random dude (the audience) who woke up and realized his inconsequential role as an extra in a cosmic game of chess in which he is a less than a pawn at the mercy of both powers...the overpowering horror of the Black Lodge fuels his vision and he sees behind the winkies, behind the facade to the first transcendent character of the Film - the man in the alley..."he's the one who's doing it..." And this is true, he is the governing force of the Black Lodge that for obvious reasons holds sway in Purgatory.

The following character alliances will be useful for a future shorthand:

Camilla / NOT CAMILLA - center piece of the representative cycle. The Blue haired lady in Club Silencio is her soul.

Diane / Betty - Primary agent of the Black Lodge; an innocent utilized for the recreation of culpability.

Adam Kesher / Not Adam - notice in the last quarter of the movie, which is actually a flashback that summarizes the previous cycle for us and provides us with context and an understanding that the cycle has been occuring and has now been disrupted (though maybe disrupted is the wrong term), is never referred to by name.

New Camilla Rhodes - the other blonde girl that takes NOT CAMILLA's spot as the New Camilla in the new cycle; her name is on her head shot. (she MUST BE CAST!!! - Kesher is informed of this first by agents of the White Lodge [the Stigliani Bros.] then by the films second transcendent Character The Cowboy.

The Cowboy - Governing White Lodge Power. Transcendent character who like it or not is required to help perpetuate the cycle that we are witnessing. The Cowboy is here to indirectly help get the cycle back on track. Camilla's time in Purgatory is not done.

The Stigliani Bros. - Agents of the White Lodge that attempt to keep things running smoothly. While NOT CAMILLA is missing, they need to make sure that Camilla Rhodes gets cast so that she can meet Betty and keep it all going.

Mr. Roque - Runs the Film studio that's producing the movie that's being made continuously to perpetuate the circumstances surrounding Camilla and Diane / Betty's mutual assured destruction. He has contact with both the Black and White lodge which is why he barricades himself in that xxxxing fortress room with the red curtains straight out of the Lodge set pieces from Twin Peaks; he is Unique in that he is mostly aware of the struggle around him but is himself not a Metaphysical Power; he's a transcendent mortal.

I'm running out of time here at work so the rest of this will be in the abridged form but hopefully there's enough here to give all of you an idea:

Because of her proximity to NOT CAMILLA Betty fails to engage with Camilla Rhodes on the set of her audition; The Cowboy successfully installs New Camilla but because of the accident Betty is sidetracked from her pre-determined course and functions as an accomplice to NOT CAMILLA;

IT IS ALL A RECORDING:
      There is no LA, there is no Betty / Diane / Camilla / Adam Kesher - at least not in these forms; there is only the boundless expanse of illusion pulled over the eyes of all worldy inhabitants. There is no band.

Camilla begins to suspect that something is rotten in the nutshell and takes Betty to Club Silencio; a darkly beautiful allegory for the film we are watching; cinema in general, and the diagetic universe we are inhabiting; Camilla's soul has been watching the madness for an indeterminate period time; the blue haired lady who sits forelornly in the balcony; NOT CAMILLA GETS THE KEY HERE! she has seen Diane's body and with a little help from Club Silencio she will now come to the full realiziation of her circumstances - she will open the box and disappear.

Now we get to the flashback - part 1 of the film which is positioned as part 2. The end of the previous cycle wherein we realize that everyone has a double; Betty was Diane - Camilla was always Camilla until the accident; Adam Kesher is no longer referred to as such; etc.

We realize that the first half of the film is the new cycle with certain incongruities brought about by the accident; the second half is the end of the previous cycle playing out as intended. An element of chaos destroyed the best laid plans as they say.

I've left a lot out here but I have no more time; Ask me any question and you will recieve an answer. Maybe I'll do some more clarification later.

Sufice to say in this interpretation - one cannot state that half the film is dream / fantasy of Diane or Camilla - it is all illusion but the mind(s) behind it are far more aware and powerful than any of the mice who play it out.

[dusken],

Also, I like the simplicity of your elegant interpretation (even if I do think its got some holes). I'm one of those people who also likes to point out that Lynch Narratives are usually much more simple than people think - MD is an exception.

For your enjoyment-

Lost Highway -

Guy finds out his wife is cheating on him; kills her and the guy she's been banging.
      The film is how it happens and how Bill Pullman Remembers it happening.

Thats it.

PROOF: Cops ask him if he owns a video camera - he says "I like to remember things my own way - that is, how I remember them, not necessarily the way that they happened."
      Lynch provides the key early, nobody catches it without a greater context...

End of story.

Comment

My response to his disagreement....

Originally posted by Me
        It is because of Lost Highway that I am convinced Mulholland Dr. is simple. It feels to me that it is a more solid and confident form of Lost Highway because of all of the similarities. It makes more sense to me for him to refine the ideas in Lost Highway, a three year old story at the time, as opposed to bringing back nine year old story elements much of which were not entirely his (in reference to Twin Peaks, of course). And it is for all of this that I have not felt compelled to delve into deeper possibilities as to the meaning of Mulholland Dr.. I will look into your interpretation but finding Twin Peaks's second season is a xxxxx. What do you feel are the holes in my interpretation?

Comment

Unfortunately, there has been no response yet from Number6 regarding the plot holes in my interpretation. Not that anyone actually cares...

Comment

What a heated debate!!!!

Comment

If you, duskens, don't calm down I will be forced to close this thread.

Comment

The Dusken is unique.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Well, I've never seen this movie, but from your description of the plot, it almost sounds like a deeper version of Vanilla Sky. When was this movie released? I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Mulholland Dr. was released in 2001 as was Vanilla Sky. Vanilla Sky is a useless remake of an excellent Chilean film by Amenabar from 1997 called Abre los Ojos. Mulholland Dr. and Abre los Ojos are very different.

Comment

Working...
                    X