Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

Friday, July 13, 2007
    NAPOLEON AND GANDHI
    They fascinate me because they pulled the rug from under potentates, that is to say, bloodsucking mediocrities parading as leaders of men and representatives of God on earth. The means they employed were different but the end result was the same.
    Only moronized people idolize leaders. Like all rules, this one too has its exceptions – Lincoln and FDR come to mind. But they too sat on a throne of blood. As for Napoleon and Gandhi: I see them less as leaders and more as destroyers of emperors, kings, princes, maharajas and similar riffraff.
    I am not in the business of solving problems but in exposing those who stand to lose the most if our problems are ever solved.
    Paul Tillich: “Life could not continue without throwing the past into the past, liberating the present from the burden.”
    #

Comment

Saturday, July 14, 2007
      DEFINITIONS
      Politics: the art of manipulating the masses by means of lies.
      Literature: sharing perceptions.
      Chauvinist: a fanatic with 20/20 vision for his enemy’s failings and total blindness for his own.
      Turcocentrism: a school of thought that says our most important concerns, hence our welfare, inner balance, and identity, revolve around Turks.
      Which reminds me of a friend who, after urging me to change my last name, delivered the following comment: “As long as you bear a Turkish surname, you admit to having been branded by them.” And I thought: If only it were that easy to erase six centuries of subservience and all traces of Ottomanism by acquiring a new name!
      #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
        Friday, July 13, 2007
        NAPOLEON AND GANDHI
        They fascinate me because they pulled the rug from under potentates, that is to say, bloodsucking mediocrities parading as leaders of men and representatives of God on earth. The means they employed were different but the end result was the same.
        Only moronized people idolize leaders. Like all rules, this one too has its exceptions – Lincoln and FDR come to mind. But they too sat on a throne of blood. As for Napoleon and Gandhi: I see them less as leaders and more as destroyers of emperors, kings, princes, maharajas and similar riffraff.
        I am not in the business of solving problems but in exposing those who stand to lose the most if our problems are ever solved.
        Paul Tillich: “Life could not continue without throwing the past into the past, liberating the present from the burden.”
        #
        Ara

Let me expand a bit your thoughts on the above third paragraph the way I understand it and add some of my own.

Extreme nationalists who are precoccupied by trying to solve our problems who go to extreme lengths for them by Btw; creating new parties, fighting against the existing parties in power, party leaders who draw masses to spew hate on an opposing party, fighting other opposing parties fiercely.

Then suddenly one day they are awakened to see that all or most of our major problems have vanished. Then at that particular point and time they simply wouldn't know what to do with themselves and their time. They will then be and feel in complete and huge emptiness and at a loss with themselves as there will be nothing more to fight about.

But isn't it part of life and living for a man to think, have and behold different and opposing idealisms with other men? Whether they are different ethics, mores, inner thoughts or simply seeing matters in a different perspective. Then at that particular moment isn't it the nature of men to fight for his thoughts and idealisms and to see them to win against an opposing one or a party? Then at that point in time a man will want to draw masses of people who practically think alike to win over the other. Especially when the opposing party would be a dangerous one for his nation or country, so he thinks.

Let me add that there is no man and no party that rules who will ever be fault free. Surely it is known that small men and small thoughts create small mistakes and but grand individuals or leaders will make huge mistakes; because it's inevitable. The greater the task, the bigger the mistake.

Now about Mr. Paul Tillich's writings. It's true that human psychologists stress for this to be; but it is in the human nature from time to time to think about the past. Though not dwelling but to learn from past mistakes.

When it comes to a nationality however; it would certainly be extremely unjust in a worse sense for that nationality and the vast murders of that nationality's anscestors for the coming generations to simply forget and let bygones be bygones. Especially when we are amidst denialists who go to extremes in paying mega dollars to government officials to erase such a huge and a horrendous crime against humanity.

Anoush

Comment

Sunday, July 15, 2007
          PAPER TIGERS
          Writers tend to take themselves seriously; and the more mediocre they are the more seriously they take themselves. It follows, if you tell a hopeless mediocrity he is not another Shakespeare, you are liable to make an enemy for life.
          It may matter to writers what they write but to the vast majority who read him or to the millions who don’t, it makes absolutely no difference. Something similar could be said about our controversies. Since the majority is silent, each side may think it is on his side when in fact the world is too busy with far more important matters to give a damn one way or the other.
          Of the one million Armenians in America (Canada and the U.S. combined) my guess is only less than 1% read our weeklies and most of the 1% read only to see their names in the paper. Now then, go ahead and take yourself seriously.
          When friends ask me if I am working on a new project, I tell them I have given up writing. I don’t consider writing for the Internet writing. But if it is writing, it is more like writing on water.
          #

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
            Ara

Let me expand a bit your thoughts on the above third paragraph the way I understand it and add some of my own.

Extreme nationalists who are precoccupied by trying to solve our problems who go to extreme lengths for them by Btw; creating new parties, fighting against the existing parties in power, party leaders who draw masses to spew hate on an opposing party, fighting other opposing parties fiercely.

Then suddenly one day they are awakened to see that all or most of our major problems have vanished. Then at that particular point and time they simply wouldn't know what to do with themselves and their time. They will then be and feel in complete and huge emptiness and at a loss with themselves as there will be nothing more to fight about.

But isn't it part of life and living for a man to think, have and behold different and opposing idealisms with other men? Whether they are different ethics, mores, inner thoughts or simply seeing matters in a different perspective. Then at that particular moment isn't it the nature of men to fight for his thoughts and idealisms and to see them to win against an opposing one or a party? Then at that point in time a man will want to draw masses of people who practically think alike to win over the other. Especially when the opposing party would be a dangerous one for his nation or country, so he thinks.

Let me add that there is no man and no party that rules who will ever be fault free. Surely it is known that small men and small thoughts create small mistakes and but grand individuals or leaders will make huge mistakes; because it's inevitable. The greater the task, the bigger the mistake.

Now about Mr. Paul Tillich's writings. It's true that human psychologists stress for this to be; but it is in the human nature from time to time to think about the past. Though not dwelling but to learn from past mistakes.

When it comes to a nationality however; it would certainly be extremely unjust in a worse sense for that nationality and the vast murders of that nationality's anscestors for the coming generations to simply forget and let bygones be bygones. Especially when we are amidst denialists who go to extremes in paying mega dollars to government officials to erase such a huge and a horrendous crime against humanity.

Anoush
            A great many things have been said about Armenia, Armenians, and the Armenian language, and we tend to remember and repeat only the favorable quotes. No one but Armenians take Lord Byron's words seriously.

The Scriptures also warn us not to look back lest we turn into pillars of salt.

If by looking back we learn from our blunders and thus become better people, i would be all for it. but if the case will be the opposite, then i will let you draw your own conclusions. / ara

Comment

Monday, July 16, 2007
              MAFIA-DEMOCRACIES
              Many great writers were misunderstood and neglected because they were ahead of their time. That’s not my problem. Nothing I say is difficult to understand, or original, or new. My ideas are not mine but the common currency of literature, including our own. They have been around for centuries, even millennia. My great liability is that I write about our problems and no one gives a damn about us, not even us. The only thing we seem to care about is Turks and their stonewalling and indifference – an indifference that we understand very well because we share it.
              In his most recent book, TO THE CASTLE AND BACK (New York, 2007), Vaclav Havel calls the present political and economic structures of former Soviet countries “Mafia-democracies.” Now, why I didn’t think of that? Mafia-democracies! That’s like saying the law of the jungle.
              #

Comment

A great many things have been said about Armenia, Armenians, and the Armenian language, and we tend to remember and repeat only the favorable quotes. No one but Armenians take Lord Byron's words seriously.

The Scriptures also warn us not to look back lest we turn into pillars of salt.

If by looking back we learn from our blunders and thus become better people, i would be all for it. but if the case will be the opposite, then i will let you draw your own conclusions. / ara
                Let me put the question this way. If any great poet, writer, scientist or philosopher was to say great things about Great Britain, English people. Who do you think would be more inclined to speak about it in the future generations of the British people but the British people? So why shouldn't Armenians take Lord Byron's words seriously? We do, because we feel that it is true and because we feel proud. It's the human nature.

Yes, yes, I would be very happy that our nation would learn from our past blunders. But in the case of mass annihilation; it is only our right to reprimend the murderer and have Turkey recognize our Genocide and whatever just rights our people demand from them.

Comment

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
                  AN ARMENIAN CREDO
                  I believe in one God who may or may not be on my side.
                  I believe as a human being I can be wrong, and I have been wrong more than once.
                  I believe it is also conceivable that like most human beings I have been wrong more often than right.
                  I also believe as an Armenian it is my patriotic duty to do my utmost to learn from my mistakes. Whether I have been or shall be successful in this endeavor is not up to me to decide but up to more impartial and objective observers.
                  #

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                    Let me put the question this way. If any great poet, writer, scientist or philosopher was to say great things about Great Britain, English people. Who do you think would be more inclined to speak about it in the future generations of the British people but the British people? So why shouldn't Armenians take Lord Byron's words seriously? We do, because we feel that it is true and because we feel proud. It's the human nature.

Yes, yes, I would be very happy that our nation would learn from our past blunders. But in the case of mass annihilation; it is only our right to reprimend the murderer and have Turkey recognize our Genocide and whatever just rights our people demand from them.
                    illusions are cheap but they are also dangerous.
                    the Brits, unlike us, are beyond flattery and illusions because they have produced some of the greatest critics in the world who have exposed their shortcomings and continue to do so. we have produced some great critics too but very few armenians read them, and even fewer take them seriously enough. we prefer to believe and glorify our brown-nosers. / ara

Comment

illusions are cheap but they are also dangerous.
                      the Brits, unlike us, are beyond flattery and illusions because they have produced some of the greatest critics in the world who have exposed their shortcomings and continue to do so. we have produced some great critics too but very few armenians read them, and even fewer take them seriously enough. we prefer to believe and glorify our brown-nosers. / ara
                      Fine then tell us who are our serious, well balanced and positive critics that do count and they would be beneficial for us in the long run. I am willing to have an open mind and an open heart to hear it and learn it.

Anoush

Comment

Working...
                      X