Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ringing in Reality: "Last Bell" isn't what it used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing in Reality: "Last Bell" isn't what it used

I came across this article recently and was shocked at what I was reading. It is almost impossible to believe that such incidents occur in Yerevan. It was so different when I was there, I am afraid to see what else has changed. Flames have you heard of this before?

Ringing in Reality: "Last Bell" isn't what it used to be

"Last Bell" signaled the end of school.
    Traditionally on this day, students dress in their best clothes, arm themselves with flowers and hold special ceremonies in their schools to remember the day.

For those finishing 10th form, Last Bell means entry to adulthood.

These days in Yerevan, the tradition has taken on another color. Last Bell has become big business, akin to the United States tradition of Prom Night. Gifts, extravagant outfits, fancy restaurants and limousine rides are becoming the norm. For some, that trend has turned the day of celebration into a day of alienation and embarrassment.

Fifteen year old Gegham Muradyan won't be participating at his Last Bell party, because to do so would require spending about $150, a sum his family can only dream of.
    "You have been studying for 10 years impatiently waiting for the Last Bell and after that you don't take part in it as you haven't got money," Gegham says. "Who decided that Last Bell is only for eating and giving presents?"

He stopped talking and quickly left the room as he didn't want to show his tears. His mother says Gegham hasn't been attending school for a month "as they are regularly rehearsing Last Bell ceremony, talking about upcoming parties and about clothes they are going to wear and cars they are going to drive that day.

Last week we called in an ambulance two times because as a result of his worries and hurts he had terrible headaches and nervous system disorder when his limbs turned numb."

Last year a teenage girl at School No. 77 committed suicide two days before Last Bell. The family lived across the street from the school and their daughter hanged herself on the balcony in view of her classmates.

Before taking her life she wrote a note to her parents saying she did not want to become a burden to them. She knew, she said, that they could not afford Last Bell, so she took her life so they wouldn't borrow money.
    There are many children who find themselves in such a situation on the edge of their new life. Still, Last Bell is becoming more market scheme than tradition.

Expenses for the Last Bell ceremony start at $150 in the well-known schools of the city. At Puskin School some pay $200. In the remote schools of the city pupils can get by on $70 to $100 - still, three to four times the average Armenian official salary.

For that amount students get a rented hall, a class photograph and a party. But the most expensive cost has become gifts for teachers. Depending on whether a teacher's subject involves final exams, typical gifts range from flowers to gold chains. It is traditional to give the form master a gold diamond inlaid piece.
    An added expense is a present for the school director. In many schools, classes have taken to giving $50 (per class) to their director. With four to five graduating classes, that makes Last Bell a lucrative day for directors of some schools.

An important part of Last Bell is concerts and ceremonies organized by schools. In times past, the students wrote their own programs and sketches. Now, however, some are hiring program directors and purchasing scripts.

"The greatest pleasure of the Last Bell ceremony is when children perform using their own strengths and create themselves," says teacher Rima Kerobyan. "It's ok if it isn't a performance of high-quality but when they create themselves it is always more touching and beautiful."
    Kerobyan says that today's celebrations have turned into a "dress-off and fashion show where everyone demonstrates luxurious clothes. Those who can't afford it, sit in some corner of the classroom and hardly hold back tears waiting until everything will be finished."
    Decades ago, recalls journalist Arevik Avagyan, Last Bell was a different time.

"We prepared dolma," she says. "One of the class mates brought meat from somewhere and that part of dolma with meat we gave to our teachers. That was our party and it made us happy. Today the important part is the is dress-off ."
    Some parents put themselves in debt to assure the child's participation in Last Bell.

"It happens only once in my child's life, that's why I borrowed money at interest for buying clothes, shoes and paying ceremony fee," says parent Nazely Saghatelyan.
    Today children from outside regions also come by buses to Yerevan. Usually they make circles around Republic Square. But as it is under construction, they gather instead this year at the Institute of Manuscripts. Their capital is changing and so are their times.

WHAT A SHAME!

Wow, that stung like a slap in the face. Although I came to the US (1993) loooong before MY Last Bell could have taken place, I did go back in 2000. When my best friend from school complained to me how everything and anything was turning into a high-priced popularity contest, I didn't pay much attention to it. But to see that young adults are so traumatized as to suffer through nervous ailments and take their lives for this??? It seems as though the way things happen in the government are also defiling the sweet memories of school days.

Comment

Snap, you came to the US a little after me. I moved to NYC in December of ’92. You must have been 10 then. I used to live on Abovian Poghots and went to Pushkinski dprots. I remember when I arrived to NYC, I didn’t want to leave the house, I hated everything about the city. I missed our Apartment, my bak, my school, my many friends that I missed so much, my café where we used to eat paghpaghak and drink the most delicious water out of the fountain next to it.

I even missed those Rabiz who used to wear penny loafers, awful jeans and leather jackets and used to squat on the corners and spit…well maybe not them, but I missed everything else about my life in Yerevan. Those last years that I spent there, western craze started taking off. Remember comisionkaner? There was emptiness in supermarkets but commisionkaner were exploding with imports and high prices. When bananas used to arrive in stores there would be a huge line waiting to get a little bunch at a high price; we used to savor them. I swore that I would never stop loving bananas if I could only eat them every day, now I don’t even like them.

Remember those little brown uniforms with little white aprons we used to wear to school and how girls in miniskirts were considered loose? Or the memorable phase when boys used to glue mirrors to the top of their shoes and walk up to girls and suavely place their feet between theirs? I figured out that trick immediately, so whenever a boy would attempt to apply the same trick on me, he would be blessed with a powerful slap in the face. And the funny thing is that they took it, laughed and never returned a favor. And what about the Women’s day March 8 (I think), when the teacher would organize for girls to leave the classroom and when we would return there would be little bouquets of forget-me-nots on every girls desk. Or when they used to carry our books or help us putting on our jackets?

It all seems so funny and sweet now. I miss my childhood.

Comment

Camisyonkaner? Haha, I can't believe you remember those. They sprung up like mushrooms. The school uniforms, the "fashionable" glossy black dress shoes, the varyonka yubka ...man oh man, where did the years go?

We left right before the truly hard times hit.

I don't know how it is for you, but for me, when I left, my real life ended and a not so tasteful one began here. I was a different person there than I am now. The life is oh so different. Man, why did we ever move? I remember when, around the time before we were going to leave, all the trees kept disappearing because people burned them for heat. Remember that? The winters were too damn cold.

But I also have my sweetest memories in Armenia. xxxx, I'm going to cry now...

Comment

Do I freakin remember????!!! How could I not? We used to sleep with our winter coats on. Damn you have reminded me of varyonka yubka!!!!!!! Haaa, wow, I think everyone from Abovian poghots to Cherumushki owned one!

You have no idea what I go through remembering everything. I miss every bit of it. But you know what? We miss our childhood and that we will never get back. It’s all different now, we are and our friends are. If we were to stay, you and I would be struggling to make $20 a week, if not less. That is the sad truth, but all of it will forever remain in my memories. We have to discuss more, I have so much stuff to share, but it’s awfully late and I have to hit the sack, so come up with some more and I’ll add to it tomorrow. Ay aghchi, bari gisher.

Comment

You have no idea what I go through remembering everything.
            You're friggin kidding me, right? Tell me it is so, puh-puh-puh-leeez?

How could I have no idea? You and I both left our motherland at a relatively old age (me being 10, and you being 13?). I lived out half of my life there, the better half by a landslide. So don't tell me that I have no idea (sorry if I sounded a little prissy here :? ).

Aaaaanyway...

Yea, about the bananas and the ananas...haha, I didn't even taste those until I came here (actually, I think I tasted pineapple once in Armenia, but I can't remember). I remember yearning so much to be able to eat them, and NOW look at me...my mom has to force feed me .

I lived on Halabyan poghots, by the Physics Institute (I think the taghamas was called Cheremushka? I can't remember for sure). But I spent most of my time at my grandparents', who lived by the metro (Barekamutiun kangar ) (Marshall Baghramian poghots? Dammit, I can't remember the names of the streets). I went to the 'posi dprots' - Anglyakan tequmov (I don't know if you remember). Then I came to this hellhole "for a better life". Yea physically, but mentally and emotionally?

Yes, it is sad that the economy sucks, but hey, it hasn't been that long since we got our independence. It WILL get better, there's no doubt about that. I just hope it's during my lifetime, because more than anything, I want to go back.

Comment

AAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!! You two are too cute

I haven't been through all of that, but it's almost as if I have, just reading your stories. Yes, Armenia has already come a long way from the days when people had to cut down trees. Almost EVERYONE has power in Armenia, and by 2004, all of Yerevan should have water 24/7, and it will gradually be likewise in the rest of the country. This summer, I saw a growing middle class, which I had feared that I wouldn't see. Young families in their zhigulis going out to restaurants, dancing, etc. Say what you will, but despite the constant complaining Hayastantsis do (let's all admit it), they are mostly very happy people.

lol, this reminds me of the "who plans on going back home" thread we had a while back flames. We were all getting pumped up about it. Is the deal still on? And anileve, are you ready to join in?

Comment

Baronchik, I would love to go back to Hayastan, I haven’t been there for 11 years now. We can all go together only if you sit between me and flames, so that I can pinch your little 17 year old apple cheeks.

Comment

lol, this is why I was reluctant to share my age with you people.

But honestly, do you consider a MOVE to Armenia? Or just a visit?

Comment

Flames you are killing me! Memories, light the corners of my mind Misty watercolor memories of the way we were…

I too forgot most of names of our streets. I remember distinctly ploshad Lenina (I am sure it was renamed) and Komitas poghots and I do remember Barekamutiun kangar. Remember Vernisaj, my friend and I used to always go there on the weekends to look at the art. It was all so colorful. I used to play tennis in that big park with a café and a statue of Nalbandian, I don’t remember the name. Oh I do remember in the course of my last years, passing by a statue of the Mermaid (I don’t know if you have any idea of what I am talking about), and this mermaid by the way was depicted with a bare bust and a tail, and the western hype was in full effect at the time and a fascination with American movies. I got carried away there, so that poor mermaid had the word “sex” written across her breasts, it was so pitiful.

Oh oh oh, remember “ISAURA”, I used to think she’s the loveliest, smartest and strongest woman I have ever seen. She was cross eyed if you remember. There was an obsession with that soap opera, the whole city was fixated on religiously watching every episode and then they would get together and start bambasel doing : “Vay aghchi, uremn gites inch eghav, koranam yes, et kheghch aghchika….” And when there would suddenly be a “very rare” occurrence of a blackout, someone would place a little TV on batteries bakum and everyone would gather around not to miss a word of that ridiculous show.

Wow, the stuff we went through, eh!

Comment

Working...
                    X