Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Congress Remembers Genocide Survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congress Remembers Genocide Survivor

WASHINGTON--Congressman Frank Pallone (D-NJ-6) Monday paid tribute on the House floor in memory of Armenian Genocide survivor Askouhy Jallyan-Vassilian who passed away on February 27th, 2008, shortly after celebrating her 94th birthday.
    Vassilian, who was present during the House Foreign Affairs Committee markup of H.Res.106, the Armenian Genocide Resolution, on October 10, 2007, lived in Cong. Pallone's district, and was one of the remaining survivors of the genocide.
    Following Rep. Pallone's remarks, her son, Dr. Asbed Vassilian, a professor of chemistry and director of the Armenian Studies Program at Rutgers University in New Jersey, reflected on Cong. Pallone's statement with the following:
    Congressman Frank Pallone's remarks are really touching, and I am personally grateful that his office, upon your request, made those remarks. Regarding my mother, she just wanted justice to prevail and that all those who perished in 1915 and who did not have any descendents as she did as a survivor, should be recognized and their memories eternally kept alive. Across from her bed, she had the picture of her father, Nazaret, who she lost when she was ten months old. She never knew him. My grandmother had the picture above her bed all the time she was alive, and my mother kept it after my grandmother died and put it across her bed so that every night she would look at it before going to bed.
    Having seen and experienced the good, the bad and the ugly, my mother had a calming effect on the new generation whenever they came and complained about the problems they were having in their lives. She would tell them to be happy with what they have, and not sad or angry with what they lack; mainly, count your blessings and thank God. She would tell them to look at the problems with the microscope inverted: rather than seeing small things big, try to see the big things small. She was a happy, energetic, sharp minded, and most importantly, content, reconciled with her life, with its ups and downs. She was thankful to the St. Stepanos Church community for giving her the spiritual nourishment and to her new host country, the United States, for taking care of her over so many years. I will always miss her.

The following is the text of the remarks offered by Cong. Pallone”

IN HONOR OF ASKOUHY JALLYAN-VASSILIAN--Madam Speaker, I rise today to honor Askouhy Jallyan-Vassilian and her dedication to her community and the Armenian people. Mrs. Jallyan-Vassilian was a survivor of the genocide inflicted upon the Armenian people. She was the embodiment of the enduring human spirit.
    Mrs. Jallyan-Vassilian was born Askouhy Jallyan on February 12, 1914, in Orfa, Turkey. Her mother, Khanem, had married in 1913 and was 18 years old when she gave birth to her only daughter. Khanem was widowed in 1915 when her husband, Nazaret, was murdered. Mrs. Jallyan-Vassilian was able to flee the horrors of genocide when she escaped with her mother to neighboring Syria.
    Later, Mrs. Jallyan-Vassilian married her husband Missak Vassilian at the age of 19. Together they raised three sons and a daughter. She was also the proud grandmother of 10 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. Her son, Asbed Vassilian, is currently a professor of chemistry at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, and is the head of that school's Armenian studies program.
    On October 10, 2007, Mrs. Jallyan-Vassilian attended a markup session of the House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs as it worked on a resolution recognizing the deplorable deprivation of human rights that occurred during the Armenian genocide. She had waited 92 years for the United States Congress to recognize the genocide and suffering that her people had endured at the hands of hate and intolerance.
    Mrs. Jallyan-Vassilian passed away on February 27, 2008. She will be remembered for her devotion to her Armenian heritage and her commitment to the cause of those Armenians who suffered wanton violence and cruelty.
    Madam Speaker, I sincerely hope that my colleagues will join me in celebrating the life of Askouhy Jallyan-Vassilian. Her legacy will continue to serve as a reminder of the audacity of human resilience.
    Positive vibes, positive taught
Working...
X