Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry Celebrates 7th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry Celebrates 7th Anniversary

GLENDALE--The Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry (ABMDR) will hold its 7th annual “Match for Life” Gala on Sunday, August 3, at the Glendale Hilton.

The gala is a celebratory evening recognizing and honoring specific individuals and businesses who have made exceptional contributions of their time and/or resources to ensure the growing success of the Registry. This year the ABMDR will honor Naz Atikian, as Women of the Year, George Najarian, Man of the Year, Karineh Khudikian and Armond Aghakhanian, Volunteers of the Year, and Horizon TV, business of the year. Mark Geragos, chairman of the ABMDR, will serve as the Master of Ceremonies.
    With headquarters in Los Angeles and laboratory facilities in Yerevan, Armenia, the ABMDR is a non-profit organization whose mission is to ensure that every ethnic Armenian struck with a life-threatening blood-related illness is able to find hope for long term survival through the identification of a genetically suitable bone marrow match. Since December 2000, through cross-national cooperation, the ABMDR has recruited over 14,000 donors, received 1276 search requests, identified 871 patients, found 921 potential matches, and-most importantly-facilitated 8 transplantations in Armenia, United States, and Europe.

Ongoing support is critical to the success of the organization. “We are no longer a “start up” enterprise.” States Dr. Frieda Jordan, president of the ABMDR. “We have grown considerably, with over 14,000 donors in the Registry. But that also means that we have educated more people about the service we provide, the demand has grown with it, and we have many patients seeking our help. We continually need funds to do DNA tissue typing in order to find “Matches for Life” as quickly as possible. More than 300 people are expected to turn out for the ABMDR's “Match for Life” event, which is open to the public. Festivities will start at 6 pm, with “Diamonds for Life” Champaign drinks before the dinner.

Those interested in attending can respond on line at www.abmdr.am or by calling (323) 663-3609. Individual ticket donations are just $100 tables for $1000. Sponsorships are also available and will receive special recognition in the gala program, which is distributed at the event and throughout the year to over 2,000 Armenian households, reaching an estimated 10,000 individuals in the community.

ABMDR is a 501(C) 3 non-profit organization; all donations are tax deductible.
    Positive vibes, positive taught

Re: Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry Celebrates 7th Anniversary

Think about it PepsiAddict...you can have Stephen Hawking's brain.

Brain Transplant Scheduled: Donor Needed

DALLAS--Research physicians at Baylor University Medical Center have announced that they have perfected the technology required to transfer the brain of one human being into the empty cranial cavity of another. The most obvious choice for such a transplant is the eminent physicist Stephen Hawking. Hawking, whose health is failing due to a degenerative disease that has left him confined to a wheelchair, is reportedly eager to undertake the risks in order to gain a new lease on life. The author of A Brief History of Time says he has much more to contribute to the field of science if only his life can somehow be prolonged.

"Just think who we could have plunked in Kurt Cobain's body; Mother Teresa, Jimmy Stewart, Jeremy Brett, my old dog Skippy, the list goes on and on," said Baylor Med's Dr. William Kuttem. "The possibilities are vast - think of all of the brain-dead folks you meet every day. To us, they're perfect candidates for transplants, but surprisingly they seem perversely attached to their empty heads. Go figure."

A number of Armenian Club Forum members have been approached as possible donors for this potential triumph of science and medicine, but the Baylor physicians have been disappointed in the response. "We almost had PepsiAddict sign the paperwork, but he got scared by big words like 'operation.' Still, we'll keep trying. All we need is one."

Comment

You must be really bored with life, but like I said have your little fun just shows what kind of person you are. Keep on posting childish things, lets see how long its going to last. Someone told me once that people like you get a thrill out of it when we respond & the key is to ignore people like you. So say & do whatever you want. I wont waste my time to respond, I'll just Ignore you. (Have a nice day) ByE!
      Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by PepsiAddict View Post
        You must be really bored with life, but like I said have your little fun just shows what kind of person you are. Keep on posting childish things, lets see how long its going to last. Someone told me once that people like you get a thrill out of it when we respond & the key is to ignore people like you. So say & do whatever you want. I wont waste my time to respond, I'll just Ignore you. (Have a nice day) ByE!
        Please ignore this forum while you're at it.

Comment

so how does one get tested to see if they can give? i went to their website but it didn't say any location, does one have to go to LA to partake in this?

Comment

Working...
          X