Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

**alert- Ancient Armenian Forest Is Cut Down**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **alert- Ancient Armenian Forest Is Cut Down**

We are urgently asking for your assistance. The Armenian government has plans to build an interstate highway through the Shikahogh Nature Preserve near the Iranian border. This preserve is one of only three untouched forests in Armenia and is home to many rare and endangered species of plants and animals whose habitat would be irreparably damaged by the proposed road. It is considered to be a primordial, ice-age forest, with some trees as much as 500 years old.

As we write bulldozers are waiting at the border of the preserve. They should have started their work two weeks ago but because of the efforts of an environmental coalition, of which ATP is a member, and a public outcry by Armenians in the homeland and the Diaspora, Shikahogh has won a few weeks’ reprieve.

This forest is a national treasure and is the heritage of the Armenian people.
    We must do everything we can to save Shikahogh--the People’s Forest--for future generations. We need to make sure that this road is not built through the preserve but takes an alternate route and that the Armenian government does not change the designation of this forest from PRESERVE to NATIONAL PARK, which would allow more roads and commercial activity.

Click here for more information about the proposed road through the Shikahogh Nature Preserve, and then take action today.

If you are in the United States, fill out the form below to join Carolyn Mugar in sending a letter to the Armenian government. In other countries, click here to find the contact information for the Armenian Ambassador in your country. In an email, copy and paste the letter below to President Kocharian via your Ambassador.

----------------------------

Everyone
    send an e-mail if you can in this site and make them now you are against.Who knows.Perhaps the corrupted bastards will stop caring only about their pockets and do something for the country.

http://www.armeniatree.org/alert.htm

NO NO DON'T SEND THE EMAIL!

Wait a minute, the road is essential for the economy! Think about it, we are a landlocked country and don't have any borders open with Turkey or Azerbaijnan. The road we have with Iran is too narrow and impossible during winter times. I don't understand why people are so against this thing. It's well worth it!

All of a sudden, everyone is an environmentalist.

Comment

Is there anything in your brain or what?Do you have the impression that those greedy clowns cant build a road from an other way?Stop behaving like an invalid, that forest has some trees of 500 years old and it is a trademark for Armenia.The Goverment claims that in order to build a road from another way they have to add 16-17 Khm.Do you have the impression they don't have the money?How the xxxx they built their villas on the mountains and they bought their luxury cars then.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Brigade
        Is there anything in your brain or what?Do you have the impression that those greedy clowns cant build a road from an other way?Stop behaving like an invalid, that forest has some trees of 500 years old and it is a trademark for Armenia.
        You're concerned about some old trees when 50% of the population there lives under poverty level? You're asking me if I got brain in my head? hahaha... You know what my brain tells me? **Brain talking**: "Armenia is a landlocked country, it has no access to water. Armenia has a closed border with Turkey. Armenia has a closed border with Azerbaijan. Armenia/Georgia ahhh pretty shady, don't count too much on it for trade. Armenia/Iran good relations but only one narrow road which is very hard if not impossible to use when it snows(3/12 months of the year)".......... **brain takes a break**.......... "A second road to Iran will do nothing but benefit us, and the government said they can't build it any other way. Now economically speaking, that's worth more than some 500 year old trees".

Now Brigade, let's hear your brain talk.

The Goverment claims that in order to build a road from another way they have to add 16-17 Khm.Do you have the impression they don't have the money?How the xxxx they built their villas on the mountains and they bought their luxury cars then.
        Oh please.... are you one of those "president eats caviar when people eat potatoes" kinds?

Comment

Potatoes are good. (Caspian Beluga is better)

I can see an environmentalist side here, but I don't think thats the issue. If it is benefitial to the people to cut down the forest then of course it should be done, but I have a feeling there are other ways to get a road than to cut down an ancient forest.

Comment

This is hillarious ,that forest is one of the most important parts in Armenia there are unique species living there, even Aksel Bakunts has made special dedications for that forest.Stop arguing for the sake of argument.We all know that the politicians are eating the money.This argument is really irritiating.They don't spend JUST A LITTLE MORE MONEY so they can PUT IT IN THEIR POCKETS.
            I am vey aware of the problems of the Armenians.But NOBODY SAID NOT TO BUILT THE ROAD.We just said add few Khl and built it from the another way.
            This hypocricy is going too far and you shouldnt protect the corrupt clowns.The same corrupted bastards which they assasinated members of the Armenian Parliament in cold blood infront of everyone and the TV.You talk as if Armenia has many forests. and you tend to forget that Armenia is a small country.
            Unless if you have any personal $bennefit$ from this as well.

PS.I am not an enviromentalist i simply care about my country.Don't be so quick and try to label people.
            Last edited by Red Brigade; 06-14-2005, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I personally want whatever is best for Armenia, I simply dont know enough about the issue to go either way, which is why I said what I said. I was not labeling you an environmentalist, but simply noting that there is that side. We may sometimes think of money too much when it comes to Armenia, but thats only because we are so concerned with its economy. I dont know about your experience, but I always seem to hear how Armenia is too poor and such. I never hear that it doesnt have enough wild life or trees. I mean, beyond the fact that its an important and old part of Armenia with animals to preserve, how does it benefit Armenia?? I am really curious.
              Last edited by ArmoBarbi; 06-14-2005, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Brigade, trust me, the government of Armenia cares about the country and its forests more than you and I do living abroad. If it was possible to do it any other way, they would. It pretty much comes down to: should we build the road or not. And for the reason mentioned above, I think they should.

Comment

It is part of our history and it is a unique forest for Armenia,how can we do this?Let alone that it can be used for touristic attraction.I know that in Armenia the politicians are eating the money and they wash dirty money.They have the money to build a road and add just few Khl to preserve this national treasure.If they feel the pressure of the people they might endure and give a little money from their pockets.If they didn't had the the money to do it i wouldnt say this,but they do have them and they cut the trees so they can save it for their pockets.
                  I have posted an article about the situation in Armenia.If you want to read it its under there and you don't need to agree with it either.But just to have a fair idea.

http://www.marxist.com/Europe/capitalism_armenia.htm
                  Last edited by Red Brigade; 06-14-2005, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I know that in Armenia the politicians are eating the money and they wash dirty money.
                    Some people might agree with you, I don't. There are only so many areas their budget can cover. There are many expenses for a country, any country, and Armenia isn't rich. I think the government is doing great and thanks to dashnaks, people who complain all the time about the government "eating the money" are kept silent, and for once, we're starting to see improvements!

Anyway, Friday June 17 is the public and probably final hearing on the forest case. Let's wait and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X