Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia-Diaspora Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenia-Diaspora Relations

The following map of the Tavush province clearly shows the dangers of "desertification" of the lands due to the death - even if slow - of agricultural life and villages.
    Of course, the project is also of cultural and socio-economical importance.

PRESS RELEASE
    Hayastan All-Armenian Fund
    Governmental Building 3, Yerevan, RA
    Tel: 3741 56 0106
    Fax: 3741 52 15 05
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Web: http://www.himnadram.org

20 August, 2007

Armenia Fund launches Rural Development Program

September 19, 2007- September 18, 2007, was the official launch date for
    Armenia Fund's Rural Development Program. The event took place in Khashtarak
    village of Tavush region. It is one of the six villages included in the
    Rural Development Program first cluster. The other five villages are
    Aknaghbyur, Azatamut, Ditavan, Lusadzor and Lusahovit. The ceremony was
    attended by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia Vartan Oskanian,
    Armenia Fund Executive Director Vahe Aghabegians and the Regional Governor
    of Tavush Armen Ghularian.

Mayors and some of the inhabitants of all six villages involved in the
    Program gathered in front of Khashtarak School where the event took place.

"In the past, there have been many words but few deeds. The time has come
    for an initiative that will get the job done. We deeply believe that the
    Armenia Fund's Rural Development Program is that initiative", said Minister
    Oskanian, who is the Member of the Board of Trustees of Armenia Fund and the
    Coordinator for the Rural Development Program. "This Program enjoys the
    widest support of both the President of Armenia and the Diasporans. It truly
    has a strong potential for becoming an all-Armenian endeavor. Today, as we
    signal the launch of the first cluster of the Rural Development Program we
    are already working on establishing clusters in Lori and Syunik and
    expanding it to all of Armenia's rural communities."

Executive Director Vahe Aghabegians stressed the importance of the active
    involvement of members of all the communities concerned in the program's
    implementation.

"This is a quest we have to accomplish together. Together we must share the
    responsibility for the success of this enterprise. We need your involvement
    in all the phases of project implementation", said Mr. Aghabegians. "This
    Program has two fundamental components: infrastructure and economic
    development. Infrastructure alone cannot solve the problems that stand
    before Armenia's rural communities. We also need strong economic initiatives
    to truly revitalize our villages, to halt the immigration and bring people
    back home where they can live, work and prosper."

All of the villages included in the Program are located close to Armenia's
    border with Azerbaijan. Border communities are the prerogative of the Rural
    Development Program as they are in the most vulnerable position in a country
    which otherwise registers tremendous economic growth. At the same time, they
    are vitally important for the country's future for both strategic and
    economic reasons. The Government of Armenia addressed the issue by
    developing the National Poverty Reduction Strategy. The Rural Development
    Program will act as a supplementary mechanism accelerating the process of
    economic and infrastructure development.

Public Relations Department

http://www.himnadram.org/eng/?go=Issues&id=1626
    Last edited by Siamanto; 09-21-2007, 12:39 PM.
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

PRESS RELEASE
      September 23, 2007
      Armenian Dramatic Arts Alliance
      20 Concord Lane, Cambridge, MA 02138
      Tel: (818) 415-9848

Tufenkian Foundation, ADAA collaborate to benefit young filmmakers in Armenia
      by Antranig Kasbarian

LOS ANGELES - In a new and innovative partnership, the Armenian Dramatic Arts
      Alliance (ADAA) and the Tufenkian Foundation have joined to assist young
      filmmakers in Armenia. Working with the Manana NGO for talented youth, the
      two groups initiated a summer filmmaking workshop featuring noted directors
      Gor Kirakosian and Carla Garapedian. More recently, the groups have arranged
      the donation of state-of-the-art film and video equipment, which has been
      shipped to Manana through the generous assistance of the United Armenian
      Fund.

"We felt that the Manana workshops went incredibly well. The children were
      delightful and they seemed to absorb like a sponge everything they were
      being taught," noted ADAA President Bianca Bagatourian. "Both of our
      instructors were very taken by them and I believe that Gor Kirakossian has
      promised to go back a few times and continue. He was teaching them very
      practical and technical things, and by watching the classes we gained a much
      better idea of exactly what is needed."

For the past 10 years, Manana has offered comprehensive education to gifted
      youth in the visual arts, media, and creative writing. Nearly 100 children
      attend its Yerevan center, where they receive not only technical skills, but
      also training in analytical thinking, self-motivation, and social awareness.
      Manana's young talents have already participated at international
      competitions, receiving awards and nominations for their films and other
      creative works.

To date, the Tufenkian Foundation has served as Manana's lead sponsor.
      During 2007, other groups - most notably, the Paros Foundation - have stepped in
      with substantial contributions as well.

Founded in 2005, the Armenian Dramatic Arts Alliance is dedicated to
      projecting the Armenian voice on the world stage through theatre and film.
      To learn more about ADAA, check out its website at www.armeniandrama.org

What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
        The following map of the Tavush province clearly shows the dangers of "desertification" of the lands due to the death - even if slow - of agricultural life and villages.
        Of course, the project is also of cultural and socio-economical importance.

The Armenia Fund
        PR Department
        Government Building 3,Yerevan- 0010
        Tel.: +(374 10) 52 15 05
        Fax: +(374 10) 52 37 95
        E-mail: [email protected]
        Web: http://www.himnadram.org

Armenia Fund Experts Visit Tavush

Yerevan, 2 October 2007. Armenia Fund Executive Director Vahe Aghabegians,
        businessmen Serjik Movsisian, Georgik Abrahamian and the Rural Development
        Program staff visited Tavush region's Khashtarak cluster on September 28,
        2007. The aim of the visit was to look into specific solutions for the
        economic facilitation component of the Rural Development Program.

The main economic problem in the Khashtarak cluster and the border villages
        in general is their lack of access to markets. One of the Armenia Fund's
        solutions is establishing trading links with private sector entities with
        concrete demands. In this case, Mr. Alishian, who owns a food processing
        plant, expressed his interest in acquiring specific vegetables and fruits
        >From the cluster villages. During a constructive meeting with the mayors of
        the villages, they discussed potential ways of arranging such cooperation.

"The main mission of the Program is to offer comprehensive infrastructural
        and economic support to the villages. The vital component of the Program is
        the creation of a dependable source of income for the village community
        members", says Executive Director Vahe Aghabegians. "Infrastructure alone is
        not a solution, there needs to be economic stimuli to maintain the system
        and make it work as a practical development tool."

During this trip, Armenia Fund's working group also visited Azatamut
        community. While the other five villages in the cluster (Aknaghbyur,
        Ditavan, Lusahovit, Lusadzor, Khashtarak) possess cultivable land and offer
        a logically straightforward path of economic development, Azatamut does not.
        Established in the 1970s, the village housed the workers of a nearby
        factory. With the fall of the Soviet empire and the severing of trading
        bonds, the factory stopped functioning, leaving most of the community
        members unemployed. The village has no arable land and a significant part of
        the population earns its income from labor migration.

Part of the village cluster concept is combining the economic resources of
        the villages into a single mechanism, thus multiplying the impact of the
        Rural Development Program economic facilitation projects. Azatamut community
        has the potential of housing a key part of the complex economic solution for
        the cluster including a milk collection center, a slaughter house, a fruit
        conservation point and other facilities which would serve the needs of all
        cluster villages.

"I welcome Armenia Fund's new initiative. Our people need this kind of
        projects. Our people need to feel that there is help coming. Our people need
        to know that life will improve", says Ashot Amirjanian, the mayor of
        Azatamut.

The community has 2,800 inhabitants. The village is located 153 km away from
        Yerevan and 2 km away from the Azeri border.

"We have chosen border villages as the main focus of the Rural Development
        Program as they have vital strategic and economic significance for the
        future of the country. Integrating these communities into our country's
        economy will revive these villages and prevent hopelessness and emigration",
        says Mr. Aghabegians.

###

Public Relations Department

The Armenia Fund is a non-profit making organization established in 1992
        with the aim of facilitating humanitarian assistance and infrastructure
        development in Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh. The Fund has 19 affiliate
        structures worldwide.

Comment

DAYS OF WORLD ARMENIAN CONGRESS AND RUSSIA'S ARMENIANS UNION IN ARMENIA AND ARTSAKH

AZG Armenian Daily
          06/10/2007

On October 14-17, in Armenia and Artsakh will be held Days of World
          Armenian Congress (WAC) and Russia's Armenians Union (RAU). Delegations
          of Armenian communities from all provinces of Russian Federation,
          also Bulgaria, Hungary, England, Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Iran and
          other countries will participate in the events in Armenia and Artsakh
          organized in the framework of the Days.

The annual Days aim to strengthen Armenia-Diaspora, Diaspora-Diaspora
          relations, and give the delegations from different countries a peculiar
          opportunity to get acquainted with the Armenian conditions and discuss
          probable investment programs.

WAC and RAU continue the program "National Support for the
          computerization of the schools in Armenia and Artsakh". A dozen
          schools, where the opening ceremonies of the computer classes will
          be held in the presence of the Days delegations members, will add
          the number of more than 500 computerized educational centers.

Comment

MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF THE REPUBLIC OF ARMENIA
            ----------------------------------------------
            PRESS AND INFORMATION DEPARTMENT
            Telephone: +37410. 544041 ext. 202
            Fax: +37410. 565601
            Email: [email protected]

PRESS RELEASE

08-10-2007

Minister Oskanian Speaks About Rural Development at Armenia Fund Gala in NY

Armenia's Minister of Foreign Affairs was the keynote speaker at the Armenia
            Fund USA's 15th anniversary Gala Dinner on Saturday, October 6, in New York
            City, at the UN Headquarters.

The Minister, who is a member of the Armenia Fund Board of Trustees, and the
            Board's appointed liaison for the Armenia Fund Rural Development Program,
            spoke about the economic challenges facing Armenia and the promise of a
            program that focuses on the economic and infrastructure development of
            Armenia's rural communities.

The full text of the Minister's remarks appears below.

Dear Friends,

I have come here to this building every year for the last 10 years to
            address my colleagues from around the world as we explore ways for the
            United Nations to achieve peace and prosperity for all our countires.

So, it is especially gratifying to be here this evening, in this same
            building, to talk to my fellow Armenians, about the Armenia Fund and our
            shared vision for peace and prosperity for our country, Armenia.

Last week, in my speech downstairs in the General Assembly hall, I said I
            wanted to break the unspoken rule and although the representative of a small
            country, I wanted to talk about what the big powers always talk about: the
            global, complex challenges of the 21st century - disarmament, arms control,
            climate change, tensions between powers, and even the price of oil - and how
            the disorder in the world, the new fragmentation, and new dangers affect us,
            the small countries, even more than they affect the great powers.

Here today, with you, I am going to break another unspoken rule, and do
            outright fundraising for the Republic of Armenia.

I am not a fundraiser. I am the foreign minister of a country that has
            managed to overcome obstacles, compete successfully and ensure our rightful
            place in our region. We are respected in international organizations as a
            capable partner. Today, we have the strong foundation required to build a
            secure and prosperous country, of which all Armenians around the world will
            be proud. We have an open economy and solid legislation. We have better
            social and educational conditions than any of our neighbors. Don't take my
            word for it, it's what the United Nations and the Heritage Foundation and
            the World Bank say.

But my message to the Diaspora always, and to you today, is, don't take this
            for granted. Don't take Armenia and Karabakh for granted, don't take our
            ability to survive and prosper for granted.

We have worked hard to keep the peace in Karabakh, we have worked hard to
            come out ahead of our neighbors in almost every important economic index, we
            have worked hard to relieve emigration and even achieve a modest level of
            in-migration. We have worked hard to reach this day. We must work hard to
            consolidate what we have and harder still to go forward.

But there are two problems. One is time, and the other is money.

First, the problem of time: If over these 16 years our neighbors were
            searching for ways to uncover and utilize their potential, today they have
            begun to reap the benefits of their resources. It will be harder now for us
            to compete. We must strive to strengthen Armenia's geostrategic and economic
            security. We must work to assure comprehensive and even development for our
            country. The urban areas are growing. The rural areas are not. Our growth is
            based on such a low starting point that even with our great improvements,
            more than one third of our population lives in poverty and half of Armenia's
            poor live in rural communities and have not benefited from Armenia's overall
            growth.

Don't get me wrong. Armenia will grow and prosper. Don't doubt that.
            Governments come and go, but the people of Armenia, those who have withstood
            difficulties that cannot be imagined, have and will survive and flourish. We
            always have.

But do we do this in two generations, or three generations, or five
            generations? Or do we capitalize on today's fast growing economy?

Do we have the luxury of waiting generations for hope to reach our villages?
            Or do we empower the villagers protecting our frontiers, make them feel
            protected, give them a hand up, help them build homes, earn an income, and
            live a life of dignity?

The answer is obvious. We don't have time to waste, and to jumpstart rural
            growth, we need to talk about money.

Look, I remember when Armenia's national budget was $350 million a year. Ten
            years later, it's over a $2.5 billion. That's amazing growth for us. But, by
            international standards, it's nothing. Even as we've done away with the
            earthquake zone, rebuilt Yerevan, financed rebuilding in Karabakh, begun
            paying our civil servants regularly, and invested heavily in our rural
            areas, Armenia's resources are not enough. That is why the Armenia Fund was
            created - to build on the resources of Armenians everywhere to provide basic
            infrastructure and development support that the Government can't afford.

In the 21st century, Armenians are not orphans and survivors looking for
            kindness and sympathy. Today, we are looking for philanthropy, not charity.
            The Armenia Fund is more than charity, it is more than helping people, it is
            building a country.
            The Armenia Fund will utilize the generosity of the Diaspora to spur
            strategic growth in Armenia, starting from the villages.

Those of you here remember that the Armenia Fund's first years were focused
            on securing emergency assistance and fuel.

By 1996, the Armenia Fund began to take on strategic projects - first, the
            road that linked Karabakh to Armenia, then later, the road that linked
            Karabakh's different regions to each other directly, for the first time
            without dependence on Azerbaijani roads. That was the second phase of the
            Armenia Fund's development.

Armenia Fund's 15 years of accomplishments have been possible because the
            Armenian people around the world have understood their responsibility to
            support statebuilding in Armenia and Karabakh.

Today, Armenia Fund is entering its third phase - away from emergency
            assistance, and toward complex, comprehensive development assistance. The
            next 15 years of good work will be possible because the Armenian people
            around the world will seize the opportunity to actually participate in
            nationbuilding and statebuilding.

This is the year, this is the decade when we must demonstrate that people
            are more valuable than oil. Oil in our region will peak in half a decade and
            wane in two decades. But systematic economic growth and our people's
            commitment and strength will sustain us for far longer.

That is why the Armenia Fund has adopted the Rural Development Program for
            Armenia and Karabakh. Our villages will have decent roads, drinking water,
            irrigation water, gas and electricity, access to schools, to health centers,
            to telephone service, television and the internet. So that they can afford
            these services, we will work with the villagers to advance sustainable
            economic development.

This is nationbuilding - one village at a time. Give tonight, give to the
            telethon on November 22, give generously.

Give so that the villagers who wake up in the village of Azatamut and stare
            across the trenches at soldiers pointing in their direction, know that their
            back is covered.

Give so that the residents of Jrapi village are too busy to be intimidated
            by the imposing Turkish flag laid out in stone on the hillside right across
            their border.

Give so that grandfathers and grandsons are no longer alone in our villages,
            and they can call their sons and fathers to come home.

Give, because your children's and grandchildren's identity is tied
            inextricably to a democratic and prosperous Armenia.

Give, because the children of those who prospered and thrived in other
            countries now want to come home.

Give, because for the first time in history, we have entered a new
            millennium successful militarily, politically and economically, secure in
            independent statehood.

Give, because Karabakh is ours and even as we work around the negotiating
            table to formalize the historic, legal, moral fact that Karabakh is
            Armenian, we must continuously demonstrate that Karabakh is a secure,
            democratic political entity and that it is viable.

Give, because our resources are not under the earth, but around the earth.
            You who inhabit lands beyond our borders are our limitless,
            self-perpetuating, resource. You are Armenia. You must participate in its
            creation, and do this wholeheartedly and completely -- not with conditional
            or partial use of your potential, but rallying all your resources, realizing
            that you are doing so for your own survival as well as Armenia's.

Comment

ARMENIA TREE PROJECT
              65 Main Street
              Watertown, MA 02472
              Toll Free: (866) 965-TREE
              Email: [email protected]
              Web: http://www.armeniatree.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
              October 9, 2007

Generous Donor Challenges ATP to Raise $500,000 by End of 2007

-- Harry T. Mangurian, Jr. Foundation Will Match Donations Received

WATERTOWN, MA--Armenia Tree Project (ATP) is proud to announce that Harry T.
              Mangurian, Jr. has agreed to match donations made in support of the
              organization between September 15 and December 31, 2007.

"The goal of this campaign is one million dollars ($1,000,000). If we raise
              $500,000 by December 31, then Mr. Mangurian will give $500,000 from his
              foundation," explains Executive Director Jeff Masarjian. "Our programs stir
              people's passions and energy, and we are thrilled that this wonderful offer
              will allow us to increase our planting of new trees. We need everyone's help
              to meet the challenge."

A second generation Armenian-American, Mr. Mangurian became familiar with
              ATP only last year and in a very short period of time began supporting the
              organization's effort to expand the number of donors contributing to ATP. He
              helped to create a unique mail appeal with photographs of ATP's work and a
              20 dram Armenian coin--symbolizing ATP's program to purchase tree seedlings
              grown by families in the Getik River Valley. A record number of new donors
              responded to that appeal at an introductory level.

"We still have a long way to go to reach our 2007 tree planting objectives,"
              states Masarjian. "This spring, ATP planted the first 20,000 trees at the
              new Hrant Dink Memorial Forest near our Mirak Family Reforestation Nursery
              in northern Armenia. Our goal is to plant the remaining 33,000 trees this
              fall to create a lasting tribute to this noble Armenian who was killed this
              past January in a tragic criminal act."

In addition to this memorial project, ATP will plant another 350,000 trees
              this fall at dozens of urban and rural sites around the country. Since 1994,
              ATP has planted and restored more than 1.5 million trees and created
              hundreds of jobs for impoverished Armenians in tree-regeneration programs.
              The organization's three tiered initiatives are tree planting, community
              development to reduce poverty and promote self-sufficiency, and
              environmental education to protect Armenia's precious natural resources.

Some of the impacts of deforestation include degraded farmland, depleted
              water supplies, climate change, loss of wildlife habitat, and poor air
              quality. ATP is working on an increasingly larger scale to reverse the
              tragic loss of forests in Armenia, which went from covering 25 percent of
              the land at the turn of the 20th century to less than eight percent today.

Comment

SERGE SARGSIAN: ALL-ARMENIAN BANK WITH INVOLVEMENT OF STATE TO BE ESTABLISHED IN ARMENIA

ARKA News Agency
                Oct 16 2007
                Armenia

YEREVAN, October 16. /ARKA/. An All-Armenian bank with the
                involvement of the state is to be established in Armenia. This will
                be a governmental structure dealing with issues of the Armenian
                communities abroad, Armenia's Prime Minister Serge Sargsian said at
                his meeting with the delegation of the World Armenian Congress (WAC)
                and the Union of Armenians of Russia (UAR) headed by the President
                of WAC and the President of UAR Ara Abrahamian.

The Prime-Minister expressed confidence that strong Diaspora and its
                consolidation with the homeland will give an opportunity to solve
                the most complicated national problems.

In his turn, Ara Abrahamian said that it is time to start doing
                things. In this respect, he addressed a number of planned programs,
                including the initiative on organizing a major economic forum.

Abrahamian suggested setting up a joint working group for discussing
                issues on supporting various programs and doing practical work.

He also expressed his gratitude to the Prime-Minister for the
                suggestion to establish closer contacts with the organizations of the
                Armenian communities abroad. Abrahamian assured that the business
                diaspora will make every effort to meet the expectations of the
                homeland as stable and strong Armenian state is the guarantee of the
                preservation of Armenian communities abroad.

Comment

1 of 2

Monte Melkonian Fund

REPORT ON PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES UNDERTAKEN BY THE MONTE MELKONIAN BENEVOLENT ORGANIZATION IN THE PERIOD SEPTEMBER 1, 2005 TO AUGUST 31, 2007

Overview:

The Monte Melkonian Benevolent Organization (MMBO), also known as the Monte Melkonian Fund-Armenia, has intensified its activities and broadened their scope during the last two years. The main focus of MMBO projects continues to be assisting the socio-economic development of rural communities in and around Armenia, particularly in the regions of strategic significance, as well as contributing to the welfare of the next generation of young people, both in the socio-ethical and the physical sense.

During the period under review, the MMBO has continued to run the Smbat Tatosian Adolescent and Youth Center in the village of Karegah in the region of Kashatagh, and additionally has founded two new youth centers in Khachik and Azatavan villages in Armenia. It has also continued to support the very successful Cow Pass-On Program, which benefits local farmers and their families in Karegah and many other villages. It has solved the drinking water problems of Maghavouz and Arakel communities in the Martakert and Hadrout regions respectively, and it has assisted and supervised renovation work at the regional hospital of Berdzor in Kashatagh. (More details about these and other MMBO projects appear in subsequent sections below.)

These projects were realized thanks mainly to the financial assistance of the organization «Aznavour pour Arménie». The total cost of the projects undertaken during the twenty-four months under consideration exceeded the sum of 30 million Armenian Drams,* of which 24.5 million was provided by the NGO founded by Charles Aznavour. Thus, these projects exemplify the successful collaboration of the two organizations, the MMBO and «Aznavour pour Arménie».

MMBO has continued to assist the needy and particularly the handicapped, giving a boost to their educational endeavours.

Finally, MMBO has continued to reach out to the larger public, sharing Monte Melkonian’s moral and ideological legacy and the example of his life. The MMBO has done this both directly through its own outreach efforts and by assisting independent reporters and scholars in this respect.

The following sections provide more details about the projects and activities described above.

The Smbat Tatosian Adolescent and Youth Center of Karegah:

MMBO has continued to sponsor and supervise the Smbat Tatosian Adolescent and Youth Center of Karegah, which it established in 2003. Karegah is situated some four kilometres north of the town of Berdzor (formerly Lachin), the administrative center of Kashatagh. With its more than 250 inhabitants, Karegah is one of the biggest rural communities of Kashatagh.

The mission of the Tatosian Center is, on the one hand, to cultivate the artistic creativity of children and youths and to meet their cultural needs, and on the other, to nurture a cultured, decent, patriotic young generation, a generation well aware of its civic duties and rights and respectful of the environment. In this context, the Center has established computer classes, arts groups, and sports groups, including clubs and classes for theater, dance, photography, ceramics, painting, design, and piano, as well as soccer and karate. Young people may also take courses in English language and psychology. They participate in these activities voluntarily and free of charge. In addition, the Center organizes lectures and game sessions on patriotic, civic, spiritual and contemporary issues, and hosts festivities and excursions on religious and national holidays. Another important component of the Center’s activity is organizing community and environmental work by young people in the village.

The Tatosian Center, which has entered its fifth year of operation, has proven to be a major success. The Center has brought a new quality into the lives of the children and youth of the village, who consider it their second home.

After witnessing the lively and vigorous atmosphere of the Center, many visitors to Karegah have decided to sponsor it financially. Today the Tatosian Center functions thanks to the financial support of the organization «Aznavour pour Arménie» and the « Fondation Diran et Charles Philippossian» of Switzerland.

--Allocated amount for the project during the 24 months under consideration:
                  11,518,625 drams

Youth Centers of Khachik and Azatavan Villages :

In late 2006, encouraged by the results of the Tatosian Center of Karegah, the MMBO, once again with the financial support of « Aznavour pour Armenie », established two similar centers in the border villages of Khachik and Azatavan in Armenia. Kachik is a border village with Nakhijevan. The village overlooks both parts of this Azerbaijani controlled region and the strategically vital Vayots Dzor highway of Armenia. The nearest Armenian village is twenty-one kilometers (some 13 miles) away. Because of its proximity to the border and its strategic position, Khachik was one of the main hotpoints with Nakhijevan during the war years. In recent years, however, the village has lost a sixth of its population. Today it counts some 220 houses and less than a thousand inhabitants, whereas it counted 1150-1200 persons in 2002-2003. Emigration, as well as the fall in the number of marriages and births—results of plummeting standards of living and everyday difficulties of life—go a long way to explain the dwindling population. As elsewhere, the young constitute most of those who emigrate.

Revitalizing and developing the village will require reactivating social and economic life and encouraging the emergence of energetic and conscientious young people. With this in mind, the MMBO decided, in concert with « Aznavour pour Arménie » to establish a youth center in Khachik, similar to that existing in Karegah. The new center has been functioning since late 2006. A similar center was established at about the same time in Azatavan, a border village in the Ararat region of Armenia. These two centers have already succeeded in bringing new vigor to the daily lives of the young people of these villages.

Other youth-oriented projects of the MMBO include a tailoring and knitting club that has been functioning for almost two years in the village of Maghavouz, in the Martakert region. At this club, local children receive training in these career skills.

--Allocated amount for the Khachik Center until August 31 2007: 1,356,510 drams
                  --Allocated amount for the Azatavan Center until August 31 2007: 1,319,570 drams
                  --Allocated amount for the Maghavouz Club until August 31 2007: 451,000 drams

Renovation of the Drinking Water Networks of Maghavouz and Arakel-Saralandj in the Martakert and Hadrout Regions:

Maghavouz is situated at the north-east of the northern Martakert region. From 1992 to 1994, it witnessed fierce fighting, changing hands several times between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces. Since the return of its inhabitants in 1994, most of the village has lacked running drinking water because of damage to the network during the war. For more than twelve years, most of the villagers had to carry, sometimes by hand, from a water source at one of the entrances of the village.

As it turned out, the solution to this debilitating problem was quite straightforward. It required nothing more than installing a water pump at the existing reservoir at the water source, and replacing a few hundred meters of damaged underground pipes with new ones. The entire problem could have been fixed back in 1994, in a few days and at the cost of around one thousand dollars, and the population of the village could have benefited from running water all these years since. The fact that so simple a problem remained unsolved for more than twelve years is symptomatic of the moral situation reigning throughout much of the country, including the rampant irresponsibility of authorities and the apathy and lack of initiative of the citizens.

After becoming aware of the problem, the MMBO took charge of it, again with the financial assistance of «Aznavour pour Arménie». The MMBO insisted that the inhabitants of the village actively participate in the reparation works. 747 thousand drams, or USD 1887 (at the exchange rates of April and October 2006), were enough to make water run again through the taps of the houses of Maghavouz after twelve years without running water. Once again, we are reminded of how much can be done with modest resources to improve the lives of many people.

The villages Arakel and Saralanj are situated at the south-west of the Hadrout region. Both had been occupied and destroyed by Azerbaijani forces since the beginning of the war in 1991. After their liberation and the end of the hostilities in 1994, the organization France-Karabagh embarked on the reconstruction of Arakel. A few years later it also embarked on the construction of Saralanj. (Today the two villages constitute a single administrative community.) Unfortunately, France-Karabagh ceased its activities before completing construction of the water network in Saralanj. In the meantime, Arakel too found itself confronted with a serious water shortage problem. Thanks once again to the financial assistance of «Aznavour pour Arménie», MMBO shouldered that task of solving of the drinking water problem of these two villages. By the end of August 2007 more than 90% of the work had been completed.

--Allocated amount for the Arakel-Saralanj water project through August 31 2007:
                  5,299,300 drams
                  --Allocated amount for the Maghavouz water project: 747,000 drams

Cow Pass-On Program and Agricultural Loans:

Since late 2005, the MMBO has purchased eleven cows (either pregnant or with a calf), and has provided them to nine families under the “pass-on” system. Under this system, each family will maintain the cow and benefit from its milk for two years, after which time they will retain the first already-mature calf, and return the original cow, plus the second (and sometimes a third) calf to the MMBO, which in turn passes them on to another family under the same terms. Over the course of several years, this simple, self-sustaining and expanding pass-on system has provided crucial nutrition and income to families in Karegah and many other villages in the region of Kashatagh.

In addition, MMBO has lent during the period under review 500,000 drams to two farming families at 0% interest.

All in all, since early 2003 the MMBO has allocated some 12.5 million drams as agricultural assistance to family farmers, of which more than 6 million within the cows’ “pass on” program, 4 million for bee keeping and the rest as other forms of easy loans and aid.

--Allocated amount for the cow “pass-on” program and other agricultural loans in the 24 months under review: 2,205,000 drams*

*We note with great appreciation that the France-based organization «Terre d’Armenie» has generously provided 385,600 drams of the total sum of money allocated for the cow pass-on program for 2005-2007.

Renovation of the Regional Hospital of Berdzor:

The regional hospital of Berdzor (formerly Lachin) was founded in 1996 and is the sole medical center of the northern and central parts of the Kashatagh region. Since its first days the hospital has been headed by Dr. Artsakh Punyatian, a devoted field-surgeon during the Karabagh war years. The hospital building had not undergone any renovation or repairs for more than a decade--a situation that could have created hygiene problems in that health institution. The president of «Aznavour pour Arménie», Mr. Gerard Margosian, who had already helped the hospital many years ago, decided to sponsor, through the MMBO, the work of renovating the interior of the building. Thanks to the MMBO’s reputation and the experience it has gained by working in the region, it has cultivated close working relations with Dr. Punyatian, and was able to take charge of supervising the renovation work.

--Allocated amount for the renovation works: 4,862,500 drams

Assistance to the Monte Melkonian School of Berdashen, Martuni:

In 2006 MMBO assisted the Monte Melkonian School of Berdashen, a village in the Martouni region, with the acquisition of needed tools and equipment.

--Allocated amount: 126,800 drams

Comment

2 of 2

Monte Melkonian Fund

REPORT ON PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES UNDERTAKEN BY THE MONTE MELKONIAN BENEVOLENT ORGANIZATION IN THE PERIOD SEPTEMBER 1, 2005 TO AUGUST 31, 2007

Digitalisation and Distribution of Films about Monte Melkonian and Other Films, and Acquisition of Books and Monographs about Monte:

MMBO undertook the digitalisation of the available films and tapes about Monte Melkonian. Films that lacked Betacam masters were transferred to this high-quality format, and all of the films were dubbed on DVDs, of which multiple copies were issued. In addition, the MMBO produced multiple DVD copies of films about other renowned freedom fighters (notably the commander and intellectual Leonid Azkaldian), as well as recent documentaries about western Armenia and the environmental problems of Armenia today. These DVDs were distributed to the youth centers sponsored by MMBO and to other centers and schools in Armenia.

In keeping with its mission the MMBO also assisted a number of scholars in their research about Monte’s life, work and legacy, and purchased books for its publicly accessible archives.

--Allocated amount for the digitalisation and distribution of DVDs:
                    484,120 drams

--Allocated amount for the acquisition of books about and providing assistance to researchers and acquiring books about Monte: 157,000 drams

Assistance to Needy Blind Students:

The MMBO has assisted the academic endeavors of a number of needy blind students, providing them with digital recorders and personal computers with installed speech synthesis software. These devices are not optional conveniences nowadays; rather, they are necessary tools for blind students. The computers were second-hand PCs that had been upgraded. All in all, three PCs and four digital recorders were distributed. One of the students, who is extremely destitute, received MMBO assistance for some of his social needs.

--Allocated amount: 523,890 drams

Assistance to the Public Awareness Campaign concerning the Situation in Kashatagh:

Due mainly to corrupt governance and the lack of a clear developmental policy, the inhabitants of the Kashatagh region have led very difficult lives in recent years. As a result, the population of this strategically important region has fallen sharply. (Kashatagh is situated between the south-eastern territory of the Republic of Armenia and the territory forming the former “Autonomous Region of Nagorno Karabagh.” It was liberated in 1992-93.)

This worrisome situation has prompted concerned individuals to uncover the real state of things and highlight its dangers. The Association of Investigative Journalists of Armenia and its president Edik Baghdasarian lead a public awareness campaign, as a result of which the corrupt regional governor was dismissed and the region’s problems have come under public scrutiny. The MMBO provided direct logistical help to the journalists and established most of the necessary contacts during their investigation.

Administrative expenses during the period under review

--Expenses of transportation and of stopovers in Artsakh: 652,300 drams
                    --Car repairs 450,000 drams

Cost Distribution of Projects Realized by the Monte Melkonian Benevolent Organization from September 1, 2005 to August 31, 2007:*

Smbat Tatosian Adolescent and Youth Center of Karegah 11,518,625 drams
                    Water network of Arakel and Saralandj 5,299,300 drams
                    Renovation works at Berdzor Hospital 4,862,500 drams
                    Maghavouz village 1,788,000 drams
                    Of which 747,000 for water network
                    570,000 for cows’ « pass on » program
                    451,000 for tailoring and knitting Group
                    20,000 other
                    Khachik village Youth Center 1,356,510 drams
                    Azatavan village Youth Center 1,319,570 drams
                    Cow Pass-On Program in Karegah and surrounding villages 1,135,000 drams
                    Assistance to needy blind students 523,890 drams
                    Loan to farmers through “Menk” Farmers’ Union 500,000 drams
                    Digitalisation of tapes and distribution of DVD’s about Monte
                    Melkonian and others 484,120 drams
                    Acquisition of books about Monte and help for research 157,000 drams
                    Assistance to the Monte Melkonian School of Berdashen 126,800 drams

Transportation and stopovers in from Yerevan to outlying regions 652,300 drams
                    Car repairs 450,000 drams

TOTAL 30,153,615 drams

* $1=336 drams (August 31, 2007).

Report prepared by
                    Alec Yenikomshian
                    Director, The Monte Melkonian Benevolent Organization

Comment

NOR JRABERT IS RECONSTRUCTED BY THE BENEFACTOR

KarabakhOpen
                      22-10-2007 15:22:42

The population of the village of Nor Jraberd had been displaced
                      from the region of Shahumyan and the occupied villages of the region
                      of Martakert.

They settled here because the land is fertile, there are good
                      conditions for cattle breeding, and 32 families have been living here
                      for many years without electricity, water supply, roads.

A few days ago the government delegation led by Prime Minister Ara
                      Harutiunyan visited the region. The prime minister learned about
                      life in the village and promised to help the villagers to lay out
                      an electricity line, build public establishments, repair roads
                      and build houses. Most importantly, however, Mkrtich Malkhasyan, a
                      Canada-based Armenian, who visited the village, is ready to support
                      the reconstruction of the village.

He promised to back the construction of the municipality, the school
                      and the nursery school. For the time being, the village got a bus to
                      transport the children of Nor Jrabert to the school of the neighboring
                      village.

>From now on October 19 will be marked as the day of reconstruction
                      of Nor Jrabert.

Comment

Working...
                      X