Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Ankara, Baku take revenge for Russian base in Armenia

Turkey may deploy a military base in the Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic, Azerbaijan, Nezavisimaya Gazeta reported citing Azerbaijani media.

According to some information, the military base deployment was discussed during Turkish President Abdullah Gul’s visit to Baku.

“If this scenario is implemented, it can be considered Baku’s and Ankara’s response for the new agreement between Moscow and Yerevan on extension of term of Russian military base in the territory of Armenia and provision on Armenia’s security,” Nezavisimaya Gazeta reported.
    Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
      http://www.aysor.am/en/news/2010/08/...a-baku-russia/

Turkey may deploy a military base in the Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic, Azerbaijan, Nezavisimaya Gazeta reported citing Azerbaijani media.

According to some information, the military base deployment was discussed during Turkish President Abdullah Gul’s visit to Baku.

“If this scenario is implemented, it can be considered Baku’s and Ankara’s response for the new agreement between Moscow and Yerevan on extension of term of Russian military base in the territory of Armenia and provision on Armenia’s security,” Nezavisimaya Gazeta reported.

This will serve two purposes:
      1. Turkey wants to get involved with a future Azerbijan-Armenia war.

2. Put Armenia under its thumb whenever it wants.

Either of those will be disasterous.

Comment

I think this will be the move that will bring war back to the region. We all know what Russia thinks of countries trying to gain influence in the Caucasus. Look what happened in Georgia(the US). If we follow this little logic and I'm sure Turkey thinks of this as well, so what will the consequences be for Turkey. Let's say the war restarts and Turkey attacks Armenia. The first soldiers that will die will be Russians(last time Russian soldiers died, Russia invaded a country.)

If Turkey is stupid enough to open a base in the Caucasus, Turkey and Russia will be enemies. Russia will not tolerate an different power in it's backyard. So as I see Turkey doesn't have the balls or the power to start a fight with Russia.(The last couple of wars between those two Turkey always lost.) And NATO will not risk WWIII for Turkey. So Russia will not allow this to happen but if this happens very bad things will happen in the region.
        Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
        This will serve two purposes:
        1. Turkey wants to get involved with a future Azerbijan-Armenia war.

2. Put Armenia under its thumb whenever it wants.

Either of those will be disasterous.
        1. Russia is the one guarding the border, so the first soldiers that will die will be Russians and I don't see Turkey being that stupid.

2.Armenia is in the Russian camp, for Turkey to get it under it' thumb it needs to get it away from Russia and I don't see this happen.

But what will happen is if the base is opened: weapon race in th region and a war will follow very soon.

Comment

..... ” Nezavisimaya Gazeta reported.
          Nakhidjevan territory is under joint Russia-Turkey patronage and Turkey has no right to establish military base there w/o Russia's agreement. If Turkey is going to establish a military base there, I guess, Russia allowed that.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
            I think this will be the move that will bring war back to the region. We all know what Russia thinks of countries trying to gain influence in the Caucasus. Look what happened in Georgia(the US). If we follow this little logic and I'm sure Turkey thinks of this as well, so what will the consequences be for Turkey. Let's say the war restarts and Turkey attacks Armenia. The first soldiers that will die will be Russians(last time Russian soldiers died, Russia invaded a country.)

If Turkey is stupid enough to open a base in the Caucasus, Turkey and Russia will be enemies. Russia will not tolerate an different power in it's backyard. So as I see Turkey doesn't have the balls or the power to start a fight with Russia.(The last couple of wars between those two Turkey always lost.) And NATO will not risk WWIII for Turkey. So Russia will not allow this to happen but if this happens very bad things will happen in the region.

1. Russia is the one guarding the border, so the first soldiers that will die will be Russians and I don't see Turkey being that stupid.

2.Armenia is in the Russian camp, for Turkey to get it under it' thumb it needs to get it away from Russia and I don't see this happen.

But what will happen is if the base is opened: weapon race in th region and a war will follow very soon.
            I agree. Eventually, War is inevitable if they make this move.

But maybe this is Armenia's chance to get Nakhchevan back without sounding like it's invading it, aka self-defense. Which Armenia should have done long ago anyway. Strategically and Militarily , Armenia needs Nakhchivan to secure it's border once and for all.
            I don't see Nakhchivan surviving without Azeris for long though, already many are imigrating to Turkey and Azerbaboonjan, because of economic hardship and isolation. Production has dropped sharply and large-scale commercial agriculture has declined. 75% of the state budget is provided by the Azerbaboon. Tourism is miniscule too.
            Last edited by arakeretzig; 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gegev View Post
              Nakhidjevan territory is under joint Russia-Turkey patronage and Turkey has no right to establish military base there w/o Russia's agreement. If Turkey is going to establish a military base there, I guess, Russia allowed that.
              You are right. The Azeri/Turkish threat of opening a Turkish base in Azerbaijan works to Armenia's advantage and you brought up a good point regarding Nakhidjevan. It alienates Russia from Azerbaijan and Turkey, not only the security sphere but the economic one as well; Azerbaijan loses leverage. Azerbaijan Solidifies Armenia's strategic position in the eyes of Russia. Makes NATO grow wary of possible Turkish adventures---though NATO might be more cohesive than the CSTO, NATO does not want to take any unnecessary. Russia will up the ante for Armenia's defense. Nor should we forget Iran. Iran would not be pleased about a possible Turkish base in the region. There are a myriad of ways Russia and Iran can hurt Azerbaijan. The Azeris know this and this is why they have been relatively magnanimous
              General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
                I agree. Eventually, War is inevitable if they make this move.

But maybe this is Armenia's chance to get Nakhchevan back without sounding like it's invading it, aka self-defense. Which Armenia should have done long ago anyway. Strategically and Militarily , Armenia needs Nakhchivan to secure it's border once and for all.
                I don't see Nakhchivan surviving without Azeris for long though, already many are imigrating to Turkey and Azerbaboonjan, because of economic hardship and isolation. Production has dropped sharply and large-scale commercial agriculture has declined. 75% of the state budget is provided by the Azerbaboon. Tourism is miniscule too.
                I once heard that there are between 20 and 30 thousend people left in nakichevan, most of them are emigrated to turkey. But acording to azeris there are 300 thousend people there. lol

Comment

Will Turkey put a base in Azerbaijan in response to Russia-Armenia agreement?
                  August 20, 2010 - 12:46pm, by Joshua Kucera

Joshua Kucera

That's what the Russian newspaper Nezavismaya Gaezta says, citing Azeri news reports alleging Azeri dissatisfaction with their relations with Russia (summary via RT):

Meanwhile, Azerbaijan and Turkey may have prepared their “symmetrical answer to Yerevan and Moscow,” Nezavisimaya Gazeta daily said. A Turkish military base may be deployed in Azerbaijan as a result of the talks between Baku and Ankara, the paper noted.

“The topic was allegedly discussed during the recent visit of Turkey's President Abdullah Gul to Baku and his meeting with Azerbaijan’s leader Ilkham Aliev," the daily said. According to Azerbaijan’s media, the military base may be deployed in Nakhichevan autonomous republic, an exclave between Armenia and Turkey.

The relations between Turkey and Azerbaijan are so close that the question arises why Ankara has not yet deployed its military base in the friendly country, the paper asked. Baku may have expected Russia’s more effective role in settling the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia over Nagorno-Karabakh, the daily explained.

Hoping that Russia could “influence its strategic ally – Yerevan – and help to promote the restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity,” Baku "did not venture on strengthening a pro-Turkey vector or another one,” the daily stressed.

However, the authorities in Baku think that “expectations were overestimated” as the situation over Nagorno-Karabakh remains unchanged, the daily said.

“Baku, in fact, has determined the limitation of its expectations after which it will probably try to change the situation in its favor by other actions,” the daily said. “This limit is President Medvedev’s visit to Baku scheduled for September.”

One thing notably missing from this analysis is Russia's alleged pending sale of S-300 air defense systems to Azerbaijan (which Russia continues to not deny), and which obviously should change Baku's perception of whether or not Russia is selling it out.

And as I've discussed before, all of this speculation about a Turkish military base in Azerbaijan seems to be coming solely from Azerbaijan, and not at all from Turkey. And it's hard to imagine what Turkey would gain from having a base in Nakhchivan.

Still, as EurasiaNet has reported, Turkey has increased its ties to Nakhchivan, and has at least spoken vaguely of military cooperation:

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan went still further, noting that “Nakhchivan is exposed to various threats from the Armenian state.”(what threats?)

“Therefore, military cooperation between Turkey and Azerbaijan and the NAR [Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic] is one of the major components of our relations,” Erdogan said.

Azerbaijan maintains a base in Nakhchivan that has received heavy Turkish support in the past, but no official information is available about the current scope of military cooperation between the two countries in the exclave.

And things are changing pretty quickly, at least in geopolitical time, in the relations between Turkey and Armenia, Turkey and Russia and Turkey and Azerbaijan. So we shouldn't be too surprised by further big moves to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Also about turkey opens a base in Nakichevan. Russia will be guarding that border and according to the new protocol Russia will aid Armenia if they are attacked. An article i read said Armenia can concentrate on Artsakh without having to worry about turkey attacking them because Russia will stop any attack on Armenia.
                  There goes the azeris attack plan. They probably thought they would attack Artsakh and once Armenia sent troops to help the Artsakh army turkey would attack from the other side. Now Russia will prevent this from happening so we can just defeat the azeris without having to worry about turkey.
                  Last edited by ninetoyadome; 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Sergei Lavrov: Russia will never supply arms if destabilization threat emerges

PanARMENIAN.Net - Russia will never supply arms if destabilization threat emerges, Russian Foreign Minister said.

“Purchase of S-300 by a country causes panic about possible destabilization. As a matter of fact, S-300 is a defense system which is deployed in compliance with international norms,” Sergei Lavrov said in an interview with Public Armenian Television, when commenting on reports on possible sale of S-300 to Azerbaijan.

“S-300 is meant to defend the territory from missile attacks. I am confident that no country in the region we are speaking about is planning to unleash war. I was personally present at the meeting between Presidents of Russia, Armenia and Azerbaijan, who signed documents excluding use of force for resolution of the Karabakh conflict,” he said.

-----------------------------------------------------

This is the closest I have heard to saying " we will supply S - 300s to Azerbaijan"
                    Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                    Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by ArmeniaR1 View Post
                      I once heard that there are between 20 and 30 thousend people left in nakichevan, most of them are emigrated to turkey. But acording to azeris there are 300 thousend people there. lol
                      20 -30 thousand people would suggest no economic activity and the place is deserted.

I think a good way to guess the population there is to use Google Earth and observe for car traffic in the capital Nakhichevan.

I am sure an expert would read far more telltale signs of activity.

Comment

Working...
                      X