Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Iranian-Armenian relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iranian-Armenian relations

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    You give westerners too much credit, most are rather uneducated when it comes to middle eastern history.
    Depends where you live in the US. In the Midwest and South, people don't give sh*t. The US is country of 300+ million and yes, half are ignorant and uneducated. Some of it has to do with our geographic location being so remote from world events in Europe, Asia, Africa. In the Midwest and South most people would probably rather the US become isolationist. At the same time, most nations have an equally ignorant populous with regards to history, geo-politics, etc and of course this is due to lack of education, resources and often they are kept willfully ignorant by their own governments. Additionally, aren't all peoples somewhat self-centered, meaning they focus primarily on their own interests and history. The US and Europe is far from perfect but is there anyone who has done better so far with regards to economic opportunity, education, human rights?
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      The US and Europe is far from perfect but is there anyone who has done better so far with regards to economic opportunity, education, human rights?
      Japan comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
        Japan comes to mind.
        Japan might be one example but it is because of system put into place by the US after WWII. Australia is another example that I forgot to mention.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Japan might be one example but it is because of system put into place by the US after WWII. Australia is another example that I forgot to mention.
          Are you sure about that? Were the Japanese really "evil" and needed to be "destroyed". Perhaps they were dominating with intelligence and technology that the west could only complete against with arms.
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Are you sure about that? Were the Japanese really "evil" and needed to be "destroyed". Perhaps they were dominating with intelligence and technology that the west could only complete against with arms.
            This is nothing about being evil and the US helped create a new Japan which thrived under a western style system after the failure of the imperial/totalitarian and caste system. Also, do not gloss over the what the Japanese did in Asia throughout the 1930's and 1940's, they killed millions of innocents for two decades before prior to surrender in 1945. The Japanese were isolationist prior to the 1870's when they got it in their mind that they would be the master-race in Asia. As for Japanese technology and innovation, that is a whole different topic but generally came about because they realized they had to acquire western standards, etc.

Comment

The US and Europe is far from perfect but is there anyone who has done better so far with regards to economic opportunity, education, human rights?
              The U.S. has not done well on the human rights issue: the US is about 200 years old - the first half of its existence was slavery / decimation of Native American people. The second half has been de facto segregation. If you consider the wars the US has started around the world - and the number of people killed; it would be very easy to rank the US as having among the worst human rights records, especially for a newly created country.

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
                The U.S. has not done well on the human rights issue: the US is about 200 years old - the first half of its existence was slavery / decimation of Native American people. The second half has been de facto segregation. If you consider the wars the US has started around the world - and the number of people killed; it would be very easy to rank the US as having among the worst human rights records, especially for a newly created country.
                The US is still a very young nation comparatively speaking and we have a lot to learn. The US record is quite shameful (we have some very good chapters too) but isn't generally glossed over, is openly discussed, admitted to, etc. Indeed we had slavery (a system which was inherited from both our Dutch and English predecessors in the mercantilist system- as there was and still is slavery or perpetual slavery in many parts of the world) but we also fought a civil war to eradicate it.

The native populations was largely decimated in a gradual genocide over two centuries but you won't find but a handful of Americans who do not admit this and agree it was genocidal and wrong. This will forever be a blight on US history but we also know this as a people. The US has done some good things and has done some bad things (bad things especially under or more rightwing administrations- still there was the Cold War and I would say there was a fair share of lunacy to go around). Compared to other great powers in the modern world over the last few centuries (Spanish, Portuguese, British, Turkish, Soviet, Japanese,etc), I would say though our record has been better (nor are we a traditional empire per se). Problem is, being a world power, empire, etc is never really a good thing and never ends well- never has, never will. If we grow more isolationist, people complain- if we get involved people complain and we are held to a far different standard. It is a no-win situation. Like any nation, our wisest and most reasonable don't always control the reigns of power. The US is also a country where you can say, write, think, just about anything you want a you will not be persecuted. We are far from perfect but no nation/political entity/regime even religious group ever will be.
                Last edited by Joseph; 04-02-2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

This is nothing about being evil and the US helped create a new Japan which thrived under a western style system after the failure of the imperial/totalitarian and caste system. Also, do not gloss over the what the Japanese did in Asia throughout the 1930's and 1940's, they killed millions of innocents for two decades before prior to surrender in 1945. The Japanese were isolationist prior to the 1870's when they got it in their mind that they would be the master-race in Asia. As for Japanese technology and innovation, that is a whole different topic but generally came about because they realized they had to acquire western standards, etc.
                  So you don't think Japan should have the same imperial rights as Great Britain, Germany, or the United States? They are surely smart enough to rule. Japan's imperialistic ambitions were due to western influences. The people of Japan were culturally astute prior to westernization/modernization.

I personally don't like the "culture" that is being exported to Armenia or even Iran for that matter. It's simple imperialism through degradation of culture which makes the younger generation increasingly vulnerable to exploitation.
                  "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

So you don't think Japan should have the same imperial rights as Great Britain, Germany, or the United States? They are surely smart enough to rule. Japan's imperialistic ambitions were due to western influences. The people of Japan were culturally astute prior to westernization/modernization.

I personally don't like the "culture" that is being exported to Armenia or even Iran for that matter. It's simple imperialism through degradation of culture which makes the younger generation increasingly vulnerable to exploitation.
                    No. And I personally don't feel its a right for any nation to engage in imperialism. The Japanese were/are culturally astute. They are smart enough and capable to rule themselves and thrive of course but their short-lived empire they created in Asia (their ideology at the time not too different that the Nazi party in Germany but with regards to Asia) resulted in the death of millions of Koreans, Han Chinese, Vietnamese- the atrocities are shocking but often overlooked- and the Japanese would like to keep it that way. Their imperial ambition was not a western creation but a Japanese one. Their rapid development in the early twentieth century was the result of their utilization of western military technology, the Russo-Japanese being a prime example.
                    Last edited by Joseph; 04-02-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Indeed we had slavery ... as there was and still is slavery or perpetual slavery in many parts of the world) but we also fought a civil war to eradicate it. The native populations was largely decimated in a gradual genocide over two centuries but you won't find but a handful of Americans who do not admit this and agree it was genocidal and wrong.
                      In my opinion, admitting something was wrong and taking proactive steps to compensate for the injustice are two different things - I've never heard the U.S. say "let's return all of the lands of the Native Americans" or "let's pay reparations to the millions of African Americans that suffered under slavery and continuing segregation." Modern-day economic slavery in many other nations is also driven by U.S. corporations who have no problem paying pennies to foreign workers to make goods exported to the U.S. (the U.S. in fact props up many regimes to enforce such conditions). There's also very little serious interest by average Americans in remedying these sorts of problems. Do Americans sometimes acknowledge these acts? Yes, but so what. Even Bin Laden acknowledges each head he cuts off.

Imagine Turkey taking over all of Armenia - installing a pro-Turkish dictator that exploited Armenians - and then saying "yes we do that and we're really sorry" without stopping those kinds of policies or paying compensation to Armenians - Would you be satisfied by Turkey's Human Rights record then?

In my opinion, the U.S. simply has effective public relations to cover-up its imperialistic tendencies. Per each year of its existence, the U.S. may have the worst human rights record in history. (equation: # of years in existence /divided by/ # of human rights violations).

Last edited by Persopolis; 04-02-2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X