Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

as i see it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as i see it

Thursday, December 16, 2004
    TRANSLATION FROM RAFFI
    "Subservience has become second nature with us. We are brought up to believe it is useless to resist tyranny and it is God's will that we accept our fate as an inevitable and unalterable fact of life. As for our priests: they were successful in convincing us that life is ephemeral and that the more we suffer in this world, the greater the rewards in the next one."
    ON BEING UNDERSTOOD
    How difficult it is to be understood by people you don't understand! It's like trying to communicate in Latin (which you don't speak) with someone who speaks only Chinese (which you don't understand).
    A CHICKEN AND EGG PROBLEM
    We are told, when dogs bite, it's their trainers who should be penalized. Others maintain, dogs will be dogs and as dogs they will bite. This may well be one of those chicken-and-egg problems that cannot be resolved. But if eggs were to start biting, we would use them only to breed roosters.
    HOW TO RECOGNIZE A FOOL
    Man is a bundle of contradictions. Only fools are consistent and predictable.
    ON EMPIRES
    All empires are warlike. There has never been a pacifist empire. A pacifist empire might as well be a contradiction in terms. A pacifist empire would cease being an empire before you can say Jack S. Avanakian. That's because an empire is like an attractive wench: everyone wants a piece of the action, and if she doesn't resist, she becomes a woman with a past and no future, and in today's parlance, history.
    WHY I WRITE
    "You are a fool to write for Armenians," I am told once in a while by friends. I don't write for Armenians. I settle scores with those who brainwashed me and I expose those who are now busy brainwashing you, your children and your grandchildren - regardless of nationality. What could be more universal?
    #
    Friday, December 17, 2004
    ARMENIAN HISTORY IN A NUTSHELL
    Arpiar Arpiarian (1851-1908): Prominent Armenian writer, editor, translator and literary critic. He was active in Istanbul, Cairo, London, Paris, and Venice (where he was also educated). Because he wrote against oppression, he was persecuted by both Turks and Armenians. Imprisoned by the Sultan, he was assassinated by a member of an Armenian political party -- identified as "a terrorist" by a number of Armenian reference works.
    ORIGINAL SIN
    My definition - in the sense of its being at the origin of most crimes and transgressions: allowing religious leaders to define good and evil, or political leaders to define right and wrong.
    We expect the world to agree with us even as we engage in verbal massacre.
    A favorite Armenian school of criticism: not deconstruction but demolition - Ottoman style.
    VERSIONS OF THE PAST
    When it comes to different versions of the past, the trick is not convincing ourselves (which amounts to preaching to the choir) but others, and more particularly, the opposition.
    COMMISSARS
    To those who would like to see me silenced, may I remind them not everyone disagrees with me, or agrees with them, which also means that to ignore me is to ignore a fraction of reality. You may fool most people most of the time, you may even fool all the people all the time, but you cannot fool reality. Turn your back on reality and reality is sure to bite your ass.
    Confronting reality is like confronting an adversary, and to underestimate an adversary's strength is to lose.
    #
    Saturday, December 18, 2004
    TRANSLATION FROM ARPIAR ARPIARIAN
    "Criticism paralyzes the weak and stimulates the strong."
    ARMENIAN PROVERB
    "Don't try to hurl a stone you cannot lift."
    TRANSLATION FROM RAFFI
    "Humility and patience cease to be virtues in a world that subscribes to the law that says 'an eye for an eye'…"
    EITHER/OR
    Readers with an either/or mindset think, just because I am tough on Armenians, I will be soft on Turks. As a matter of fact, I am neither. Rather, I am against all propagandists and their dupes; that is to say, individuals who cannot speak for themselves because they cannot think for themselves and must therefore parrot the nonsense put out by a group with a specific agenda and vested interests.
    DO I REPEAT MYSELF?
    If you think I do, why waste your valuable time reading me when, for the same money, you can read writers who don't repeat themselves?
    QUOTATIONS FROM SARTRE
    "The introduction of terror is the necessary price for cohesion of the group, but it is the individual who pays that price, since if the group is essential, he becomes unessential."
    "In a society which reserves its women for the old and rich, [sex] is the first pain of a poor young man with a premonition of his future enemies."
    CHARLATANS AND THEIR DUPES
    They have always been in the majority. That's the only way to explain the power and popularity of Talaat, Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Idi Amin Dada, Paul Pot, Saddam…to mention only a handful of sadists and serial killers parading as charismatic statesmen. And here, I shall refrain from making a much longer list of their victims….
    #
    FRIENDS, THERE ARE NO FRIENDS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    There are those who plan, execute, and terminate friendships as if they were military operations. I remember, after I published my first book reviews and translations I was bombarded with gifts, invitations, offers of friendship and promises of honors, titles, and even banquets by bosses, bishops, benefactors and their assorted flunkies. Being naïve and uninitiated, it never even occurred to me to question their motives. But now that I know better, I am left alone. Months go by without a single letter or phone call. To which I can only say: "Peace, is wonderful!"
    #
Working...
X