Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

US to invade Iran any day now?

A few weeks ago the Russian newspaper Izvestia, a well-known and authoritive daily published nationwide and abroad, came forward with something that would have been looked upon as a conspiracy theory if published by a tabloid. The paper suggested that by attacking South Ossetia, the Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili had badly damaged a planned U.S. military operation against Iran. In the newspaper's opinion Georgia was supposed to play the role of another "unsinkable aircraft carrier" for the U.S., i.e. an operational and tactical base for U.S. aircraft that would be making bombing raids into Iran. Something akin to what Thailand was in the Vietnam war. Thailand certainly benefited from the arrangement, and Georgia would have too, insists the paper, if its President hadn't put his ambitions above the US national interest and ended up beaten, disarmed, chewing on his neckties and totally incapable of providing whatever the U.S. needs from him.

That's why, according to Izvestia in yet another article on the matter, the U.S. response to the Russian retaliation was harsh in words but very mild in action. The latest on the issue suggests that Mikhail Saakashvili may be replaced any day now by direct order from Washington. Having read the story in Izvestia I decided to try to figure out the extent of improbability and impossibility of the assumptions. As I was doing that, I remembered that early in August CNN had started showing U.S. generals who cried for more troops and hardware for Afghanistan which, in their opinion, was rapidly becoming a more intensive conflict than Iraq. Shortly after that, a phone call came from a college friend who had just come back from Kandahar in Afghanistan, where he had seen American battle tanks being unloaded from a Ukrainian-registered Antonov-124 "Ruslan", the heaviest and largest cargo airplane in the world. The friend asked if I had any idea what tanks would be good for in Afghanistan, and I said I didn't. It's an established fact from the Soviet war in Afghanistan that tanks are no good for most of the country's mountainous territory. They are good for flatlands, and the main body of flat land in the region is right across the border in Iran.

Later in August there was another bit of unofficial information from a Russian military source: more than a thousand American tanks and armored vehicles had been shipped to Eastern Afghanistan by Ukrainian "Ruslans" flying in three to five shipments a day, and more flights were expected. Somehow all this, together with the series of articles in Izvestia, the information that all U.S. troops in Afghanistan are going to be reassigned and regrouped under unified command, the arrival of NATO naval ships in the Black Sea, the appointment of a man used to command troops in a combat environment as the new commander of the US Central Command and other bits and pieces. To my total astonishment, when they all fell together the Izvestia story started looking slightly more credible than before. Today the U.S. media reported that there had been a leak from the Pentagon about a secret Presidential order in which President Bush authorized his military (most of which is currently on Afghan soil) to conduct operations in Pakistan without the necessity for informing the Pakistani government. The U.S. military in Afghanistan - or shall we say in the whole region neighboring Iran - is getting a freer hand by the day. And it is getting more and more hardware to play with.

Of course it's quite clear now that Georgia has lost its immediate potential as a nearby airfield, but after all, the aircraft carriers in the Gulf are not so far away. Believe me I'm not saying that the U.S. is going to start an all-out war against Iran tomorrow. But aren't there indications that it may happen the day after tomorrow, a month from now, or on any date before the official handover of Presidency in the U.S.? Or, as some suggest, before the election? I'm just asking the questions. But there are some people, like those working for Izvestia, for instance, who answer them with a "yes".

Source: http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/30312
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello
      I`ve been following this thread for quite a long time (more then half a year), and finally decided to participate :-) It`s very nice to hear something positive about Russia from foreigners instead of usual Russofobia.
      Well, actually I wanted to comment this article
      Russia: The Challenges of Modernizing the Military
      The Kremlin is attempting to reduce the term of conscription from 24 months to 12 months.
      It`s unclear what "attempting" means. The term of conscription is reduced to 12 months.

While concurrent efforts are underway to reduce the size of the armed forces, shorter tours for draftees will require an overall increase in the proportion of the population turning 18 each year that submits to the draft.
      The main point of the draft in USSR was to give military education to as many young men as possible, IMHO. This was part of the effort to prepare for the Next Big War. This is still valid, but there is no reason why older people cannot serve as well as permanent forces. Actually, this is what is being done - adopting a mixed conscript/volunteer forces.

In Russia today, all the most competent candidates for military service use their competence to dodge the draft, and the quality of conscripts has tumbled.
      That was true 2 or 3 years ago, however now people who don`t want to serve are generally not forced to go to the Army. There was quite a long time I`ve last heard of "prizyv" (draft - there is two, in spring and in fall). It used to be a very big deal a couple of years ago - in a bad sense.

Compounding this is the fact that the bulk of the sector’s work force is nearing retirement and fresh manpower (because of the declining birth rate) is becoming an issue, just as it is for the military.
      This is an interesting and important subject. Here are the exact numbers:
      1990 - 1988858
      1991 - 1794626
      1992 - 1587644
      1993 - 1378983
      1994 - 1408159
      1995 - 1363806
      1996 - 1304638
      1997 - 1259943
      1998 - 1283292
      1999 - 1214689
      2000 - 1266800
      2001 - 1311604
      2002 - 1396967
      2003 - 1477301
      2004 - 1502477
      2005 - 1457376
      2006 - 1479637
      2007 - 1610122

Quite telling, I`d say.

Meanwhile, foreign sales continue to constitute the bulk of Russia’s post-Soviet military production efforts.
      This is not true since at least 2007.

work on the Yuri Dolgoruky, the lead boat in a new class of nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarines
      It was launched in 2007 (although the SLBMs are not available yet). The work is on Alexander Nevsky and Vladimir Monomakh.

Other then that, I more or less agree with this article.

Comment

Iran, Armenia and Russia to Investigate New Oil Pipeline Construction Project

Azerbaijan, Baku, 12 September / Trend Capital / According to the Armenian Industry and Energy Ministry, Iran, Armenia and Russia investigate the joint oil pipeline construction project. This was reported by Iranian Isna agency. “At present, the trilateral special commission from Armenia, Iran and Russia on construction of an oil refining in Armenia, has commenced investigation to lay an oil pipeline,” Armen Movsisyan, the Armenian Industry and Energy Minister, said. The oil refining, which is expected to be built in Armenia, will produce 7mln tons oil per year. Construction’s cost is $2.5bln or $3bln.

Source: http://capital.trendaz.com/index.sht...292928&lang=EN

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by vic_k View Post
          Hello, I`ve been following this thread for quite a long time (more then half a year), and finally decided to participate :-) It`s very nice to hear something positive about Russia from foreigners instead of usual Russofobia...
          Welcome. Where do you live? Are you Russian?

Նժդեհ

Comment

Welcome. Where do you live?
            Thanks, Armenian. I live in Russia, in Eastern Siberia.

Are you Russian?
            Well, I`m ethnic Ukrainian, if it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by vic_k View Post
              Thanks, Armenian. I live in Russia, in Eastern Siberia.

Well, I`m ethnic Ukrainian, if it matters.

Welcome, nice to see another Russian/Ukrainian here. I am guessing you are Russian nationalist?
              For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
              to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

TANK IDENTIFICATION

Ok. As promised, I asked a well known tank expert (he is Greek ex-military) about the photos Armenian thinks they are T-80 or even T-90.

This is his reply:

Hi,

No, they are T-72's, or more precise: T-72B with Kontakt-5 armour. This type is often called T-72B(M). The Russians only used T-62 and T-72 tanks duing the 5-day war.
                Note that the driver has only 1 periscope (the T-80 has 3) and that there's an exhaust on the left side, rear (the T-80 has the exhaust grill in the rear hull).

Regards
                Dear Armenian,

You owe me a beer (Godayk or Kilikia)
                Last edited by ZORAVAR; 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Azerbaijani President refused to back Washington in energy rush

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ U.S. Vice President Dich Cheney wrapped up his Caucasus tour meant to strengthen Washington’s positions in the struggle for Caspian energy resources.

However, his talks in Baku ended in failure. President Ilham Aliyev made it clear that Azerbaijan won’t support energy routes bypassing Russia, Kommersant daily reports.

For the first time in Baku, Cheney was not met in the airport either by the Azerbaijani President or by Prime Minister. Aliyev did not hurry to receive the high-ranking guest, who was conveyed to the presidential apartments only in the evening.

According to sources in the president’s administration, the talks were oppressive, although Aliyev and Cheney have been acquainted since the time when Cheney worked for Halliburton and Aliyev was vice president of Azeri state oil company (SOCAR).

The talks focused on the war in Georgia and Nabucco project. Sources say, Cheney informed Aliyev that the U.S. is going to further the Transcaspian gas pipeline bypassing Russia.

Far from it, Ilham Aliyev gave to understand that although he appreciates relations with Washington, he has no intention to fall out with Russia and to speed up Nabucco implementation.

Cheney, irritated by the results of the talks refused to attend a reception in his honor.

Ilham Aliyev’s unwillingness to support Washington is quite understandable. Baku took the story with Abkhazia and South Ossetia as signal for all those wishing to join NATO.

On the eve of Cheney’s visit, Aliyev had a phone conversation with Russia’s Medvedev to discuss a possibility of a meeting in the near future.

From http://www.panarmenian.net/news/eng/?nid=26935
                  Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by ZORAVAR View Post
                    Ok. As promised, I asked a well known tank expert (he is Greek ex-military) about the photos Armenian thinks they are T-80 or even T-90. This is his reply: Dear Armenian, You owe me a beer (Godayk or Kilikia)
                    Look me in the eyes, Zoravar... You're right! I had no idea just how extensive T-72 modifications have been. These T-72 do look a lot like T-90s. The news report I read concerning the presence of T-80s or T-90s in the conflict zone must also have been a result of bad identification. Anyway, this is why we call you the "Zoravar" around here...

And you truly deserved these, here enjoy I also added an Erebuni -

Նժդեհ

Comment

Russia lines up with Syria, Iran against America and the West

Moscow announced renovation had begun on the Syrian port of Tartus to provide Russia with its first long-term naval presence on the Mediterranean. As the two naval chiefs talked in Moscow, Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov met Iranian foreign minister Manouchehr Mottaki in the Russian capital for talks on the completion of the Bushehr nuclear power plant by the end of the year. DEBKAfile’s military sources report that the commander of the Russian, Navy Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky, and his Syrian counterpart, Gen. Taleb al Barri, spent all Friday working on details for the outfitting of Tartus port to accommodated increased Russian fleet Mediterranean missions not far from Israel’s shores. Mottaki’s unannounced visit to the Russian capital focused on the timetable for Atomstroiexport to finish work on the Bushehr reactor after five years of delays. Moscow has sharpened its tone in comments aimed at the West and the US in particular. President Dmitiry Medvedev said Friday that Georgia’s attack on South Ossetia was the equivalent for Russia of the 9/11 attack on America. Even if Georgia had become a NATO member, he said, he would not have thought twice about ordering the Russian army to go in. Prime minister Vladimir Putin, after putting Moscow’s case on Georgia to the Western media, warned the US that stationing a missile defense shield near Russia’s borders would start an arms race in Europe. There was no basis for a new Cold War, he said. DEBKAfile’s sources interpret Friday’s events as indicating that Russia’s leaders have determined not to declare a Cold War in Europe but to open a second anti-Western front in the Middle East. In the second half of August, DEBKA file and DEBKA-Net-Weekly’s analysts discussed this re-orientation at length (Russia’s Second Front: Iran-Syria), disclosing that Moscow had decided to use its ties with Tehran and Damascus to challenge the United State and the West in the Middle East as well as the Caucasian, the Black Sea and the Caspian region. The traumatic impact of the Georgia conflict on Russia’s rulers came through in the remarks of an unnamed Kremlin official quoted by the Russian media this week: “Everything has changed since the war with Georgia. What seemed impossible before is more than possible now when our friends become our enemies and our enemies our friends. Russia will respond. A number of possibilities are being considered, including hitting America where it hurts most – Iran and Syria.” In aligning with Tehran and Damascus, Moscow stands not only against America but also Israel. This volatile world region is undergoing cataclysmic changes at a time when Israel is virtually without a fully competent prime minister and key political and military decision-making by the rest of the government is at a standstill.

Source: http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=5577

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X