Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Russia warns against meddling

The Kremlin warned foreign organisations on Wednesday against trying to interfere in Russia's December parliamentary elections, as Moscow cut sharply the number of Western observers permitted to view the polls.

"No country will accept any attempts from abroad to try to influence it," Kremlin deputy spokesman Dmitry Peskov told a news conference. "It's a matter of sovereignty of the country."

Peskov was speaking after Europe's main democracy watchdog, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), said Moscow had imposed "unprecedented" restrictions on its observation mission to the December 2 elections. The vote is widely viewed as a referendum on President Vladimir Putin's almost eight years in power. Polls suggest his United Russia bloc will win an overwhelming majority of seats but the opposition has complained that Putin's backing gives the party an unfair advantage. OSCE spokeswoman Urdur Gunnarsdottir said Russia had invited a maximum of 70 observers for a short-term mission to December's vote -- less than a quarter of the number sent for the last such elections in 2003, and for a shorter period.

"We now need to consider the implications of those restrictions, as they may seriously limit the possibility for a meaningful observation according to our standard methodology for full-scale election observation missions," she said. Asked about the restrictions on observers, Peskov said the Kremlin was complying fully with its OSCE obligations but wanted to address certain unsatisfactory issues which had arisen with previous observation missions.

"So without jeopardising our obligations, of course we are free to apply a system...that would in our view fit the whole procedure of elections in Russia and in no way it leads to violations of our obligations," he said, speaking in English. Asked what was unsatisfactory about previous observation missions, Peskov replied: "Please ask the Central Elections Committee."

The country's top electoral body, which will oversee December's polls, is headed by a former work colleague of Putin's from St. Petersburg, Vladimir Churov. December's vote comes just three months before presidential elections, in which Putin is not eligible to stand because he will have served two consecutive terms in office, the maximum permitted by the constitution. Russia has seen a wave of rallies, public letters and appeals by loyal politicians in recent weeks begging Putin, who enjoys approval ratings of around 70 percent, to stay on in power and change the constitution.

"I am sure the president respects those who support his course," Peskov said. "I am also sure that he intends to continue respecting the principle of immutability of the constitution."

Some political experts have suggested that Putin may seek to find a way to secure another term in office without changing the constitution. This, they say, could be done by declaring a national emergency or by letting a successor into the Kremlin for a brief period before the new president resigned or fell sick, prompting fresh elections in which Putin could stand again. The constitution bans three consecutive presidential terms but allows incumbents to return to power after a break of unspecified duration. An alternative scenario would be for Putin to use his expected parliamentary majority to exercise influence over whoever succeeds him as president.

Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/UKNews...43002920071031
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Words wont do it any justice. Just watch the Al-Jazeera video link below and see how volatile the situation is between Russian and Georgia currently. All it will take is one wrong move or an intentional preplanned action, by either side, and we will have a major war in the region.

Armenian

Russia's strained relations with Georgia (video report from Al-Jazeera): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZtIj...&oe=UTF-8&hl=e

Saakashvili Confronts Russians in Disputed Region in Georgia

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili confronted Russian peacekeepers in a breakaway region after three Georgian policemen were detained and allegedly beaten by Russian soldiers, reigniting tensions between the two countries. Saakashvili flew by helicopter yesterday to the border of Abkhazia, 50 kilometers (30 miles) from Russia's 2014 Winter Olympics host city of Sochi, to demand an apology from the Russians and to order their commander, Sergei Chaban, to leave the region. "Our patience is coming to an end,'' Saakashvili said, according to his Web site. "Yhe peacekeepers who are here to protect the local population have for many years allowed the killing of people, the abduction of people and the extortion of their money.''

Georgia has accused Russia of trying to destabilize the country and backing separatists in Abkhazia. The region broke away during a war in the 1990s and has a pro-Russian leadership and Russian peacekeepers. Saakashvili has pledged to bring it back under central control. The Georgian policemen were disarmed and detained after they confronted a Russian patrol, Interfax news agency reported, citing Alexander Diordiyev, a spokesman for the peacekeepers. The commander of the Georgian police squad threatened ``to use force against the peacekeepers,'' the Russian news agency cited him as saying. About 2,000 Russian peacekeepers are deployed in Abkhazia under a 1994 cease-fire agreement that is monitored by a United Nations mission.

Emergency Meeting

Saakashvili yesterday convened an emergency meeting of his security council and said Georgia will ask the UN to review the mandate of the peacekeepers in Abkhazia. Tensions between Russia and Georgia rose in August after the Caucasus country said Russian aircraft fired a missile onto its territory. Georgia called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council to condemn the attack. Russia accused Georgia of fabricating the attack to draw attention away from demands for independence by Abkhazia and a second breakaway region, South Ossetia.

Ties between Russia and Georgia have been strained since Saakashvili won power in Georgia's so-called Rose Revolution of 2003 and vowed to lead the former Soviet republic into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and away from Russia. In September last year, Georgia expelled four Russian soldiers for alleged espionage. President Vladimir Putin retaliated by cutting road, rail, air and sea links with Georgia, a country of 4.6 million people that borders Russia and Turkey.

Youth Camp

Saakashvili said yesterday the policemen detained were part of a group established to protect a youth camp that Georgia set up in an area of Abkhazia under central control. The policemen "were subjected to a truly criminal and bandit-like attack,'' Saakashvili said, according to a transcript. "They were disarmed, their hands were bound and they were beaten sadistically.''

The incident was captured on video, meaning it couldn't be ignored by Russia, he said.Saakashvili is under pressure at home after Georgian billionaire Badri Patarkatsishvili said this week he will fund the country's opposition. Anti-Saakashvili forces began to strengthen in late September after the arrest of Irakli Okruashvili on charges related to his tenure as defense minister between 2004 and 2006. Thousands rallied to protest Saakashvili's "dictatorial regime.'' A large-scale demonstration outside Parliament is planned for Nov. 2, the anniversary of the Rose Revolution.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...lK4&refer=home

Moscow accuses Tbilisi of attacking Russian helicopter

Russia has accused Georgia of attacking a Russian peacekeeping helicopter in the Georgian rebel republic of Abkhazia, according to reports on Interfax. The incident is the latest in an escalating round of tit-for-tat accusations between Moscow and Tbilisi. Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili personally confronted Russian peacekeeping forces yesterday after three Georgian policemen were detained and allegedly beaten by Russian soldiers. 'A bullet hit the helicopter, damaging the door of the undercarriage,' a spokesman for the Russian forces, Alexandre Diordyev, told Interfax. The shots were fired in a zone where Georgian forces are situated, in the village of Ganmoukhouri, he added.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited...fx4284616.html

Russia refuses to replace army commander in Georgia

Russia rejected on Wednesday a Georgian demand it replace the Russian commander of a peacekeeping force in its breakaway region of Abkhazia and blamed Georgia for tensions in the area. President Mikhail Saakashvili demanded the sacking of General Sergei Chaban after his soldiers briefly detained Georgian servicemen on Tuesday. Abkhazia is a serious source of friction between Georgia and its former imperial master.

The peacekeepers say the Georgians were detained after threatening them with weapons in a security zone they patrol between Abkhazia and Georgia proper. Tbilisi says the Russians raided the Georgian territory and seized its soldiers. The Russian deputy Ground Force commander, General Valery Yevnevich, told Interfax news agency Chaban could be replaced only by the leaders of the post-Soviet Commonwealth of Independent States, who had authorised his appointment.

"Until such a decision is made, the current commander Sergei Chaban will go on carrying out his duties," Yevnevich said. "The peacekeeping force carries out an extremely important task not to allow the renewal of a military conflict and they cannot be left without a command," he added. Russia sent peacekeepers to Abkhazia in 1993 after a bloody war in which Tbilisi lost control over the Black Sea province. Disagreements over Abkhazia and Georgia's other breakaway province of South Ossetia, where Russia also has a peacekeeping force, are the greatest irritant in strained bilateral ties.

STRING OF CLASHES

Georgia's pro-Western government accuses Moscow of standing behind separatists and demands that the Russian peacekeepers are replaced by a neutral international force. Russia rejects such demands, saying Tbilisi seeks to take back Abkhazia by force. The Tuesday incident was the latest in a string of clashes, which have become increasingly frequent since Saakashvili became president in 2004 and proclaimed a course towards Georgia's integration into NATO and the European Union. Georgia's parliament has also called for the Russian peacekeepers to withdraw but has not yet decided on what conditions. Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Grigory Karasin on Wednesday spoke by phone with Chaban and the peacekeepers' commander in South Ossetia Marat Kulakhmetov, the Foreign ministry said in a statement.

"It was noted that restraint and calm are needed in the atmosphere of mounting provocations by the Georgian side, which are fraught with the destabilisation of situation along the Russian borders," the statement said. The statement said Chaban and Kulakhmentov informed the deputy minister that "their contingents act exclusively within the framework of their international mandate".

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/asiaCrisis/idUSL31579331

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow. I wonder what was happening around that whole picture. Its obvious the Russian soldiers felt threatened. How did they get close enough to Georgian policemen I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
          Wow. I wonder what was happening around that whole picture. Its obvious the Russian soldiers felt threatened. How did they get close enough to Georgian policemen I wonder?
          According to the report they went some distance into Georgia and confronted a Georgian police check point. Based on what is being reported, I think this was pure provocation by Moscow. Russian forces may be itching for a fight. I hope.

Originally posted by Saakashvili
          ...immediately get your people out of here our patience is finished. We have ordered our military to defend with all possible means and resources and as you are aware we have resources...
          I still can't figure out this guy

Նժդեհ

Comment

as you are aware we have resources
            My God.
            The way I see it .... It is better to have a Dumb Sht than a smart "president".

Comment

Skhara, I need your assistance.

" BAGRAMYAN " ARMENIAN TERRORIST RATS IN WAR WITH GEORGIANS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmrCJEELupA

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                According to the report they went some distance into Georgia and confronted a Georgian police check point. Based on what is being reported, I think this was pure provocation by Moscow. Russian forces may be itching for a fight. I hope.

I still can't figure out this guy

You can't figure him out? The guy is nothing but a stooge taking his orders directly from Washington and Tel Aviv...nothing to figure out. He needs to be put down once and for all.

Comment

What an awesome video. I'll work on it, to give you an accurate translation.

By the way, did you read the commentary down bellow? So much hatred directed at Armenians

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
                    What an awesome video. I'll work on it, to give you an accurate translation. By the way, did you read the commentary down bellow? So much hatred directed at Armenians
                    Dude, don't sacrifice your work obligations for this. When you get a chance just give us a synopsis. I don't want a word-for-word translation. And yes I did read some of the comments and I am not surprised one bit. Generally speaking, Georgians are more anti-Armenian than Turks. At least Turks respect us.

Նժդեհ

Comment

"Today we are talking about the Russian banking system. The American credit crunch, provoked by the mortgage crisis in the U.S., affected Europe. The Russian public, traumatized by the 1998 default experience, is very sensitive to ramifications of the crisis in Russia. Is there a banking crisis in Russia? To answer this question, our guest today President of the Association of Russian Banks, Mr. Garegin Tosunyan."

Watch this story here:

Garegin Tosunyan, President, Association of Russian Banks

1955 - Born in Yerevan
                      1977 - Scientific researcher, All-Union Electro-Technical Institute
                      1988 - Joins chief board of science and technology, Moscow city executive committee
                      1989 - Graduates, Faculty of law, All-Union Judicial by-correspondence-Institute, Moscow
                      1990 - Founder and Head, Technobank
                      1991 - Vice president, Association of Russian banks
                      1992 - Graduates, Academy of national economy, Moscow
                      1992 - Co-founder and Head, Inter-bank Financial House
                      1994 - First vice president, Association of Russian banks
                      1994 - Organiser, Centre of scientific research, Inter-bank Financial House
                      1997 - Adviser to mayor of Moscow on credit financial issues
                      1997 - Founder and Head, Banking law sector, Institute of State and Law, Russian Academy of Sciences
                      1998 - Chief, Council of authorised banks, Moscow government
                      1999 - Adviser to chairman of the Russian government on credit financial issues
                      1999 - Vice chairman, expert council, State Duma committee on credit organisations and financial markets
                      2001 - President, Asssociation of banks of Central Russia
                      2002 - President, Association of Russian banks

Comment

Working...
                      X