Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Elections in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Presidential elections 2008 in Armenia

Serzh Sargsyan: "There is no alternative to the peaceful resolution of the Karabakh conflict"

27 October 2008 [15:39] - Today.Az

"The resolution of the Karabakh conflict is possible only if Azerbaijan recognizes the right of the Karabakh people for self-determination", said Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan in his exclusive interview to Public Television of Armenia.

"The resolution of the Karabakh conflict is possible in case Nagorno Karabakh has a land border with Armenia, if international organizations and leading states ensure the security of the people of Nagorno Karabakh and if Azerbaijan recognizes the right of the Karabakh people for self-determination", he said according to the press service.

Sargsyan noted that after a long-lasting passive period the process of the resolution of the Karabakh issue has entered the active phase.

"This is caused by at least two main aspects: first of all, both Azerbaijan and Armenia have completed the presidential elections and second, the well-known events, which occurred in the region, have again persuaded everyone that there is no alternative to the peaceful resolution of the conflict", said he.

The President of Armenia considers that activeness is useful, along with the public discussions and he is confident that there will be a more active phase of public discussions.

According to Sargsyan, discussions are always useful, but they must be based on the only interest - the interest of the Armenian people.

"We have sacrificed much for the resolution of the Karabakh conflict to close eyes or ignore the facts of speculations. We are settling a sacred issue. We are settling an important historical task and it is immoral if someone tries to find out a different interest during its resolution", said Sargsyan.

/Novosti-Armenia/
    Well, at least Serj is echoing the minimum to ensure Artsakh's security (i.e. independence and a land bridge). Also, it seem that Serj is laying down the gauntlet concerning any of his countrymen who would want to scuttle peace talks, calling that "immoral".

...I just do not see any of this compromising rhetoric comming out of Baku...just the opposite, in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
      It's political posturing on the part of Baku in my opinion. Baku may be trying to get 'most' out of the deal by trying to scare Yerevan into more concessions, or is simply sounding tough for domestic consumption... Yerevan is doing what it has to do, appear conciliatory. In the final tally, however, whatever occurs on the ground must be blessed by Moscow. Thus far and despite Baku's harsh rhetoric, war to liberate the territories in question is out of the question. It's obvious that a major war shall be not tolerated by Moscow or the West. Baku will loose more than it will gain by starting a fresh round of hostilities. I have no doubt Baku knows this, which leads me to believe that their warlike rhetoric is only for public consumption... I still believe that a deal has been made by all parties involved. It's now a matter of selling it to public.
      This is what I find facinating: Yerevan is actively selling a compromised settlement to it's public while Baku is doing the opposite.
      It will be very interesting if/when this settlement comes to fruition (i.e. Aliev signs a document recognizing Arsakh's indepencece with a land connection to Armenia). He is not going to be able to control the millions of crazed Azeris who will want his head.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
        This is what I find facinating: Yerevan is actively selling a compromised settlement to it's public while Baku is doing the opposite. It will be very interesting if/when this settlement comes to fruition (i.e. Aliev signs a document recognizing Arsakh's indepencece with a land connection to Armenia). He is not going to be able to control the millions of crazed Azeris who will want his head.
        Sargsyan won't have any difficulties selling the deal because the Armenian population is more than ready to resolve this matter. If Azeris are genuinely being stubborn it may work in our benefit. However, I have a feeling that their warlike talk is just rhetoric and nothing else. Don't worry about the masses. Azerbaijan is a police state. If and when the day comes for the official recognition of Artsakh by Baku there is nothing the masses can do about it. At worst you will have several thousand of protesters rioting in the streets; nothing a riot control regiment can't handle. Anyway. Moscow has its work cut out.

Well, at least Serj is echoing the minimum to ensure Artsakh's security (i.e. independence and a land bridge). Also, it seem that Serj is laying down the gauntlet concerning any of his countrymen who would want to scuttle peace talks, calling that "immoral"...I just do not see any of this compromising rhetoric comming out of Baku...just the opposite, in fact.
        Look closely. Armenia has been serving its main peace dish with a side order of war talk. The war games said to have been carried out just recently, Medvedev's successful visit to Armenia and the mass weddings performed in Artsakh are also very symbolic in that they more-or-less reveal Armenia's strenght in the territory's demographics, Armenia's strenght in the territory's armed forces and Armenia's strenght in its alliance with Russia - will not allow it to be defeated. Below are relevant articles.

NAGORNO-KARABAKH: MASS WEDDING HOPES TO SPARK BABY BOOM IN SEPARATIST TERRITORY

The Moonies have done it; the United Arab Emirates have done it. And, now, in a bid to boost its population, so has the separatist territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, with the wedding of 700 couples on October 16. Russian-Armenian businessman Levon Hairapetian, a native of the Karabakh village of Vank, financed the ceremonies. Each couple received a payment of $2,000; newlyweds living in villages received a cow. That financial support will continue with each child born: couples will receive $2,000 for their first child, $3,000 for a second child, and increasing sums up to $100,000 for a seventh child. The ultimate aim of the event was to stimulate a baby boom in the territory. A 2005 census put Karabakh’s predominantly ethnic Armenian population at just over 145,000. In this remote, mountainous territory where jobs run scarce, the marriage offer struck many as too good to pass up. Virtually all of the Karabakh residents interviewed had a relative, neighbor or friend who was part of the mass wedding ceremony. On October 15, the day before the event, beauty salons in the capital, Stepanakert, were packed. "We had so many clients that we were working the whole night," said one salon owner. Starting in the early morning, buses transported couples from all over Karabakh to Vank village and to Shushi, or Shusha as it is still called in Azerbaijan, a semi-ruined city not far from Stepanakert that saw some of the fiercest fighting in the 1988-1994 war between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the territory. Five hundred and sixty couples ended up being married either at St. Ghazanchetsots church or the 13th century Gandzasar monastery, not far from Vank. Then it was off to Stepanakert’s Republic Stadium for toasts, wedding certificates and visits by pop stars from Yerevan, and a greeting from de facto Karabakh President Bako Sahakyan. With the stadium full of brides in white, the celebration continued late into the night, topped off by a fireworks display. Among the event participants was Eric Dravyan, a 25-year-old man from Stepanakert who married Karine Hayrapetyan, 20. The couple said that they were happy to be part of the ceremonies, but added that they intend to hold another ceremony at a later date, to which only family and close friends will be invited. Another participant, Vladimir Hakobjanyan, a 24-year-old from Askeran, said he was happy to finally get married. "Three month ago, I [kidnapped] my wife [Noyem Hakobjanyan, 19] as her parents would not give their consent. ... We did not have a wedding at that time; today is our wedding and we are very delighted and thankful."

Source: http://www.eurasianet.org/department...av102408.shtml

"NKR Defense Minister": "We will launch offensive for neutralization of the threat without waiting for the attack of the armed forces of "Azerbaijan"

"The tactical trainings with shooting, held in Nagorno Karabakh on Saturday, were of special nature", said the "defense minister" of the so-called "Nagorno Karabakh Republic" Movses Akopyan. He said the "defense army" of "Nagorno Karabakh Republic" arranged the trainings only for offensive. "We are preparing our servicemen for not waiting for Azerbaijan's attack, but, depending on the situation, for launching an offensive for neutralization of the threat to our security", said Akopyan.

Source: http://today.az/news/politics/48523.html

Serzh Sargsyan: "There is no alternative to the peaceful resolution of the Karabakh conflict"

"The resolution of the Karabakh conflict is possible only if Azerbaijan recognizes the right of the Karabakh people for self-determination", said Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan in his exclusive interview to Public Television of Armenia. "The resolution of the Karabakh conflict is possible in case Nagorno Karabakh has a land border with Armenia, if international organizations and leading states ensure the security of the people of Nagorno Karabakh and if Azerbaijan recognizes the right of the Karabakh people for self-determination", he said according to the press service. Sargsyan noted that after a long-lasting passive period the process of the resolution of the Karabakh issue has entered the active phase. "This is caused by at least two main aspects: first of all, both Azerbaijan and Armenia have completed the presidential elections and second, the well-known events, which occurred in the region, have again persuaded everyone that there is no alternative to the peaceful resolution of the conflict", said he. The President of Armenia considers that activeness is useful, along with the public discussions and he is confident that there will be a more active phase of public discussions. According to Sargsyan, discussions are always useful, but they must be based on the only interest - the interest of the Armenian people. "We have sacrificed much for the resolution of the Karabakh conflict to close eyes or ignore the facts of speculations. We are settling a sacred issue. We are settling an important historical task and it is immoral if someone tries to find out a different interest during its resolution", said Sargsyan.

Source: http://www.today.az/news/politics/48536.html

Azerbaijani Ministry Refutes Deployment of Russian Peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh

It is impossible to deploy peace peacekeeping forces of any country in Nagorno-Karabakh region, an inseparable part of Azerbaijan, the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense officially stated. “Any issue on Nagorno-Karabakh cannot be a topic of discussions without Azerbaijan’s participation. Foreign interference into sovereign and independent Azerbaijan is impossible,” Eldar Sabiroglu, the spokesman for the Ministry of Defense, told Trend News on 18 October. Negotiations are being held between official Moscow and Armenia to place peacekeeping forces of the Russian Army in Nagorno-Karabakh, the Russian media reports. These reports are of provocative character, Sabiroglu said. “It can be easily seen that these reports are false. I think Armenia cannot believe in this lie, as well. Armenia knows well that it cannot happen,,” he said. Armenia has occupied 20% of Azerbaijanїs lands including Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding seven regions. The occupation began in 1988. Azerbaijan lost the Nagorno-Karabakh, except of Shusha and Khojali, in December 1991. In 1992-93, Armenian Armed Forces occupied Shusha, Khojali and Nagorno-Karabakhїs seven surrounding regions. In 1994, Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement at which time the active hostilities ended. The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group ( Russia, France, and the US) are currently holding peaceful, but fruitless negotiations.

Source: http://news.trendaz.com/index.shtml?...323450&lang=EN
        Last edited by Armenian; 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM.
        Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
          Look closely. Armenia has been serving its main peace dish with a side order of war talk. The war games said to have been carried out just recently, Medvedev's successful visit to Armenia and the mass weddings performed in Artsakh are also very symbolic in that they more-or-less reveal Armenia's strenght in the territory's demographics, Armenia's strenght in the territory's armed forces and Armenia's strenght in its alliance with Russia - will not allow it to be defeated. Below are relevant articles.
          Armenian,

I love your analogy! It puts everything into perspective and allays the fears that there is some corrupt entity on the Armenian side that would "sell-out" Artsakh.

Great post...thanks for talking me down.

Comment

Armenian, I love your analogy! It puts everything into perspective and allays the fears that there is some corrupt entity on the Armenian side that would "sell-out" Artsakh. Great post...thanks for talking me down.
            Anytime dude. Because of our bloody history and our nation's current vulnerabilities we Armenians tend to panic. It's natural and in some respects it's healthy. I rather we Armenians panic than be complacent. However, there has to be a healthy balance between observing politics with a sober mind and observing politics from a perspective of a concerned nationalist. As difficult as the current geopolitical climate in the region may be, I believe Armenia/Artsakh have never been this secure. I firmly believe Moscow wants and needs a viable Armenia/Artsakh. I firmly believe that there are longterm economic plans for the region. I firmly believe that Armenia has a great role to play within these economic plans. I firmly believe that the current administration in Yerevan is fully capable of handling these crucial matters. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel. Only two scenarios are now possible in my opinion: Best case scenario, Baku pisses off Moscow and the peace process is put off indefinitely. Worst case scenario, Artsakh gains recognition, Armenia hands over occupied territories outside of Artsakh, and the region between Armenia and Artsakh becomes a demilitarized zone patrolled by Russians...

I'll live with any of the two scenarios. The bottom line is, the region in question needs peace, economic development and political stability. I see this happening with a greater Russian role in the region. But I think we should continue panicking. It wont hurt anything, it might even help.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

This won't help Aliev's war machine:

AZERBAIJAN: GLOBAL CREDIT CRISIS START TO SQUEEZE BAKU
              Shahin Abbasov 10/27/08

Print this article Email this article

Azerbaijan is experiencing a severe credit crunch, which experts say could send the country into a recession.

Azerbaijan had been enjoying explosive growth in recent years, driven mainly by the rapid rise in energy export volume. [For background see the Eurasia insight archive]. As recently as October 13, during a presidential-campaign-related cabinet meeting, President Ilham Aliyev expressed confidence that Azerbaijan would not be severely impacted by the global economic crisis; he urged state-owned and privately held companies to keep on investing in ventures "both within the country and abroad."

Aliyev’s upbeat comments came just two days before he secured reelection as president. [For background see the Eurasia Insight archive]. http://www.eurasianet.org/department...101608bf.shtml "Our state budget will continue to grow and neither the global crisis nor developments in the region will affect the government’s plans," he said.

Earlier in October, Heidar Babayev, the minister for economic development, assured the public that Azerbaijan possessed sufficient cash reserves to fend off a threat to the country’s financial system. However, his calculations were based on the belief that the price of oil would remain at or above $90 per barrel. The price has plummeted in recent weeks, standing at $62 per barrel on October 27.

Despite the ominous warning signs, Aliyev seems reluctant to acknowledge that circumstances are growing more unfavorable. During a ceremony held in connection with his October 24 inauguration for a second term, Aliyev continued to project a "steady-as-she-goes" aura for Azerbaijan’s economy. "In the coming years, we must not contend ourselves with the attained success," he said. "The country has strengthened its potential owing to the implementation of infrastructural projects and profound reforms."

Outside the halls of power, entrepreneurs and bankers are thinking in a very different way. At street level, optimism has ceded ground to realism. Since late summer, it has been difficult for individuals and small businesses to gain access to credit. And those lucky enough to obtain loans have had to pay starkly higher interest rates.

The main problem in Azerbaijan is one of excessive demand for capital. Whereas the financial systems in the United States and elsewhere have buckled because a mass of people could no longer repay their debts, only about 2.5 percent of Azerbaijani borrowers find themselves in a similar position. In Baku and other booming areas of the country, there is simply not enough cash to keep on fueling the fast pace of growth.

Anar Khanbekov, Baku-based financial analyst says that situation is linked with global financial crisis. "Until recently, Azerbaijan’s leading banks used to attract a lot of relatively cheap foreign loans. However, now foreign credits are either not available or they are much more costly, and it has created problems for many banks," he told EurasiaNet in an interview on October 26.

According to Khanbekov, several leading Azerbaijani banks are starting to experience liquidity pressure. "Of course, the situation here is yet incomparable with what is going on in the European banking market. Our banks do not face serious threat of bankruptcy. However, if the country’s banking sector showed phenomenal growth during last five years ? now we will be observing serious decline in profitability of banks," he said.

A top manager of one of Azerbaijan’s leading commercial banks told EurasiaNet that the financial institution’s customers were growing nervous about the safety of their assets. "There is not panic yet, but several clients who were not able to get credit in our bank took their money out," the bank officer admitted.

The National Bank of Azerbaijan (NBA, central bank) has taken action to reassure depositors and loan-seekers alike, issuing a statement that called speculation about a banking crisis as nothing more than "media rumors." The government has yet to see a need to develop a stabilization plan. However, Elman Rustamov, the NBA chairman, said on October 24 that officials would "provide banks with direct financial aid, if necessary."

Financial regulators had been primarily concerned in recent years with keeping inflation in check. But at present they seem intent on reestablishing a steady flow of money throughout the market. In mid October, the NBA reduced its discount lending rate from 15 percent to 12 percent, and it lowered reserve requirements for banks.

Zohrab Ismayilov, chairman of a Baku-based think tank called the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy, says the rate cut will not be able to solve the problems facing Azerbaijani banks. "However, [the cut] will alleviate pressure on some banks, thus giving the entire financial system more confidence," Ismayilov told EurasiaNet in an October 26 interview.

Khanbekov, Ismayilov and other experts believe the credit crunch will have a severe effect on non-energy-related sectors of Azerbaijan’s economy, especially the construction sector. "Leading construction companies could face the threat of bankruptcy," Ismayilov said, adding that a collapse of the construction sector could have a disastrous cascade effect on the economy. He noted that during the January-August period this year, construction firms received roughly $560 million loans from the banks. Many of those loans look very shaky at the present time.

More broadly, the rise in living standards, which had been zooming ahead, now looks set to come to a screeching halt. Over the past three years, consumer loans had ballooned. During the first half of 2008 alone, banks issued consumer loans totaling $2.8 billion, and according to NBA statistics credit was involved in 25 percent of consumer spending.

Now with consumer goods retailers starting to feel squeezed, some have taken the unprecedented step in Azerbaijan of offering rebates. One auto dealer in Baku, for example, is offering to give $2,500 back to any customer willing to pay all-cash for a car.

If government intervention is eventually needed, the Aliyev administration may find that its options are limited by the drop in global energy prices. "The economy will not be able to develop without banking credits and demand for consumer goods will also decrease. But low oil prices will restrict the government ability to improve situation," Ismayilov said.

Editor's Note: Shahin Abbasov is a freelance correspondent based in Baku.

Posted October 27, 2008 © Eurasianet
              http://www.eurasianet.org

Comment

And the corruption in Armenia continues and sadly, even Gyumri is not spared. This man with a long criminal record is once again "reelected" as mayor of Gyumri. We're talking about a man who steals from earthquake victims and who once shot at Russian soldiers stationed in Gyumri.
                -------------------------------------
                Gyumri Mayor Reelected

By Satenik Vantsian in Gyumri

Vartan Ghukasian, the controversial mayor of Armenia’s second largest city of Gyumri, won a fourth term in office in a tightly contested weekend election that saw tight security measures taken by the central government.

According preliminary official vote results released on Monday, Ghukasian, who is affiliated with the governing Republican Party of Armenia (HHK), won 58 percent of the vote. His 27-year-old main challenger, Martun Grigorian, got 37 percent.

Grigorian, who got elected to Armenia’s parliament last year, mounted a strong challenge against the incumbent mayor amid speculation that he is secretly backed by the HHK and its leader, President Serzh Sarkisian. However, the young businessman denied any links with the ruling party during the tense election campaign.

The Yerevan government sent special police units to Gyumri to stave off possible clashes between the two rival camps. The heightened police presence in the city close to the Turkish border was visible on voting day. No violent incidents were reported during the polling and the vote count.

Speaking to RFE/RL on Monday, Grigorian effectively conceded defeat. Still, he described as extremely suspicious a record-high voter turnout of almost 45 percent reported by the local election commission. He also claimed that police hindered and even harassed his campaign workers on Sunday.

Ghukasian has been dogged by controversy ever since he was first elected mayor in 1999. Critics have long accused him of leading a business clan that controls much of the local economy and tolerates no competition.

He has also earned notoriety for his flamboyant behavior that has occasionally turned violent. In August 2005, for example, Ghukasian reportedly shot from a pistol at a group of Russian soldiers stationed in Gyumri after a drunken argument in a local restaurant belonging to his brother.

Ghukasian has also faced corruption allegations that nearly cost him his job four years ago. Local prosecutors considered at the time launching criminal proceedings against him on charges of illegally renting out public office space to one of his close relatives.

In March 2004, an ad hoc investigative commission formed by then President Robert Kocharian claimed to have found “numerous abuses” in the distribution of thousands of new apartments built in the earthquake-ravaged city with the multimillion-dollar assistance of U.S.-Armenian billionaire Kirk Kerkorian. Ghukasian was personally implicated in those violations. But although the commission’s findings were publicly endorsed by Kocharian, the flamboyant mayor was never prosecuted or sanctioned otherwise.

In April 2007, Ghukasian narrowly survived an apparent assassination attempt when unknown gunmen opened fire on his motorcade outside Yerevan, killing three of his bodyguards. Ghukasian and his deputy Gagik Manukian were seriously wounded and hospitalized. The case has still not been solved.

Ghukasian was again in the news in May 2007 after a high-profile gunfight between two groups of young men. One of them was led by his son Spartak. The latter was subsequently arrested and sentenced to 18 months in prison. He was granted parole after serving one third of the sentence.

From http://armenialiberty.org/armeniarep...14BE9787E8.ASP
                Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Not much more than a hunch, but I do not see any resolution of the Artsakh conflict anytime soon. Too many powers have their hands in the cookie jar and with the world wide financial 'crisis' there are bigger issues to worry about for the great powers than provincial issue(s) such as the one between Armenia and azerbaijan.
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                  to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Sarkisian Vows Public Debate On Karabakh

President Serzh Sarkisian pledged to initiate an “active” public debate on how to resolve the conflict with Azerbaijan and accused his opponents of exploiting the issue after inspecting frontline positions of Nagorno-Karabakh’s army over the weekend. Sarkisian traveled to Karabakh to attend military exercises conducted by Karabakh Armenian forces. He then visited sections of the heavily militarized Armenian-Azerbaijani line of contact east of the disputed territory. Speaking to Armenian Public Television afterwards, a uniform-clad Sarkisian acknowledged that internationally sponsored efforts to resolve the Karabakh conflict have entered an “active phase.” “I strongly believe that we will enter a period of much more active public discussions,” he said. “Discussions are always useful but they must center only on the interests of the Armenian people. We have invested too much effort into the settlement of the Karabakh problem to turn a blind eye on or to ignore instances of exploitation [of the issue.]” “We are achieving an important historical objective, and if someone is trying to pursue other interests, then that is not moral,” he added.

It was an apparent reference to opposition leader Levon Ter-Petrosian’s October 17 speech in which he accused Sarkisian of being willing to “put up Karabakh for sale” in return for earning the West’s support for his continued rule. Ter-Petrosian claimed that Sarkisian is even ready to agree to Russia’s replacement by Turkey at the OSCE Minsk Group helm. Newspapers supporting Ter-Petrosian have also seized on Turkish President Abdullah Gul’s reported claims that Sarkisian himself asked Ankara to mediate in Armenian-Azerbaijani negotiations. Sarkisian denied the claims attributed to Gul, insisting that he believes Turkey can only “assist” in the Karabakh peace process. “Yes, I am convinced that Turkey can assist and, I think, is now assisting in the process of the Karabakh conflict resolution,” he said. “President Gul’s [September 6] visit to Yerevan, the continuation of Turkish-Armenian negotiations is a very good example of solving very difficult problems.” Turkish contribution to Karabakh peace will be even greater if Ankara opens the Turkish-Armenian border and establishes diplomatic relations with Yerevan, he added.

Sarkisian further described as “very legitimate” Russian President Dmitry Medvedev’s efforts to host the next, potentially decisive, meeting of his Armenian and Azerbaijani counterparts. But he would not say when that meeting could take place and what its chances of success are. “A resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is possible if Azerbaijan recognizes the Nagorno-Karabakh people’s right to self-determination, if Nagorno-Karabakh has a land border with Armenia, and if international organizations and leading nations guarantee the security of the Nagorno-Karabakh people,” stated the Armenian president. Sarkisian’s newly reelected Azerbaijani counterpart, Ilham Aliev, repeated on Friday that Baku will never recognize Karabakh’s secession from Azerbaijan. The U.S., Russian and French diplomats co-chairing the OSCE Minsk Group were due to visit the conflict zone this week in line with their pledges to step up the search for Karabakh peace after the October 15 presidential election in Azerbaijan. But the group’s French co-chair, Bernard Fassier, said late last week that the trip has been postponed.

Analysts in Yerevan were on Monday divided over possible reasons for the delay. Manvel Sargsian, a Karabakh expert at the Armenian Center for National International Studies, attributed it to Medvedev’s initiative. “It looks as though a new situation has arisen after that statement and the parties are chewing over their next steps,” he said. But Gagik Harutiunian, director of the Noravank Foundation, believes that the United States and France have no problem with Russia’s unilateral push for a Karabakh settlement. “The situation is such that they may have chosen not to meddle in the ongoing process to avoid disrupting it,” he said. Richard Giragosian, a Yerevan-based U.S. analyst, likewise saw no U.S.-Armenian disagreements on Karabakh. “Moscow and Washington have actually moved even closer to each other in the Minsk Group,” he told RFE/RL.

Source: http://www.armenialiberty.org/armeni...E8927147FB.ASP

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                      And the corruption in Armenia continues and sadly, even Gyumri is not spared. This man with a long criminal record is once again "reelected" as mayor of Gyumri. We're talking about a man who steals from earthquake victims and who once shot at Russian soldiers stationed in Gyumri.
                      -------------------------------------
                      Gyumri Mayor Reelected

By Satenik Vantsian in Gyumri

Vartan Ghukasian, the controversial mayor of Armenia’s second largest city of Gyumri, won a fourth term in office in a tightly contested weekend election that saw tight security measures taken by the central government.

According preliminary official vote results released on Monday, Ghukasian, who is affiliated with the governing Republican Party of Armenia (HHK), won 58 percent of the vote. His 27-year-old main challenger, Martun Grigorian, got 37 percent.

Grigorian, who got elected to Armenia’s parliament last year, mounted a strong challenge against the incumbent mayor amid speculation that he is secretly backed by the HHK and its leader, President Serzh Sarkisian. However, the young businessman denied any links with the ruling party during the tense election campaign.

The Yerevan government sent special police units to Gyumri to stave off possible clashes between the two rival camps. The heightened police presence in the city close to the Turkish border was visible on voting day. No violent incidents were reported during the polling and the vote count.

Speaking to RFE/RL on Monday, Grigorian effectively conceded defeat. Still, he described as extremely suspicious a record-high voter turnout of almost 45 percent reported by the local election commission. He also claimed that police hindered and even harassed his campaign workers on Sunday.

Ghukasian has been dogged by controversy ever since he was first elected mayor in 1999. Critics have long accused him of leading a business clan that controls much of the local economy and tolerates no competition.

He has also earned notoriety for his flamboyant behavior that has occasionally turned violent. In August 2005, for example, Ghukasian reportedly shot from a pistol at a group of Russian soldiers stationed in Gyumri after a drunken argument in a local restaurant belonging to his brother.

Ghukasian has also faced corruption allegations that nearly cost him his job four years ago. Local prosecutors considered at the time launching criminal proceedings against him on charges of illegally renting out public office space to one of his close relatives.

In March 2004, an ad hoc investigative commission formed by then President Robert Kocharian claimed to have found “numerous abuses” in the distribution of thousands of new apartments built in the earthquake-ravaged city with the multimillion-dollar assistance of U.S.-Armenian billionaire Kirk Kerkorian. Ghukasian was personally implicated in those violations. But although the commission’s findings were publicly endorsed by Kocharian, the flamboyant mayor was never prosecuted or sanctioned otherwise.

In April 2007, Ghukasian narrowly survived an apparent assassination attempt when unknown gunmen opened fire on his motorcade outside Yerevan, killing three of his bodyguards. Ghukasian and his deputy Gagik Manukian were seriously wounded and hospitalized. The case has still not been solved.

Ghukasian was again in the news in May 2007 after a high-profile gunfight between two groups of young men. One of them was led by his son Spartak. The latter was subsequently arrested and sentenced to 18 months in prison. He was granted parole after serving one third of the sentence.

From http://armenialiberty.org/armeniarep...14BE9787E8.ASP
                      The bastard will be taken care of give it a couple of years and his head will role. I don't know if it' Yerevan or the people of Gyumri but he will be taken down.

Comment

Working...
                      X