Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Elections in Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Presidential elections 2008 in Armenia

When I was a kid my father was often telling me about our nations glorious past. Ones I asked him how come that we are so small and suppressed? He sad “It's because we had more traitors among us than enemies” Well….I see it now.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

You know what the irony in all of this is? The BBC can spend a entire month watching the "'disputed' elections in Armenia", but yet, it ignores the undemocratic and truly corrupt regime in Baku.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
          You know what the irony in all of this is? The BBC can spend a entire month watching the "'disputed' elections in Armenia", but yet, it ignores the undemocratic and truly corrupt regime in Baku.

Yes, for all the talk about Armenia being corrupt, we are the freest in our region, in the CIS and on par with 2 eu members, bulgaria and romania.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
            Virgil, actually there has been somewhat of a news blackout regarding Armenia, especially in the main-stream news media in the US. Even the BBC has barely touched upon the events. There has been no sustained in depth coverage as we saw in Georgia. Obviously, with violence, there will be more coverage. Nevertheless, my sense is that the US is keeping a distance from this situation. I don't know why. It may be that they do not want to make it obvious that they are covertly involved; it may be that Moscow and Washington have come to an understanding; it could be that they don't think Levon will be able to do much so they don't want to be on the 'loosing team', so to speak... I don't know the reason, but they have not fully jumped on the LTP bandwagon like they have done elsewhere.

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
            Yes, for all the talk about Armenia being corrupt, we are the freest in our region, in the CIS and on par with 2 eu members, bulgaria and romania.
            It would not matter one way or another. What matters is if you serve the interests of any of the major powers that are interested in the region.
            Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Artandsky View Post
              To Armen2008
              Listen very carefully. Stop you stupid propaganda here cause nobody takes you seriously anyway. Russian Army will stay in Armenia because we need each other. Artsakh will NEVER be part of Azerland, and if you will start a new war next time we won’t even spare your dogs. And if you are really Armenian than QU MERET QUNEM get a xxxx out of here, I prefer a Turk than a traitor.
              Apres enker. These people are the tools of the Western intelligence services. Their entire purpose is to break Armenia away form Russia and then impose their will upon the Armenian nation.

Originally posted by Artandsky View Post
              When I was a kid my father was often telling me about our nations glorious past. Ones I asked him how come that we are so small and suppressed? He sad “It's because we had more traitors among us than enemies” Well….I see it now.
              We Armenian have not had more or less "traitors" than any other nationality on earth, including Jews. The fundamental problem with us Armenians, however, is the geographic 'location' of our nation. We have essentially lived for thousands of years in a complicated, tumultuous and dangerous 'intersection.' Armenia has always been a complicated and dangerous intersection. Armenia has always had pressures from the north, south, east and west and this has caused great social/political pressures - internally. We have always been caught between large and powerful empires. As a result, Armenian politics has always been complicated and unstable. Sadly, many of our 'traitors' actually think they are doing good for the country. Many of the naive supporters of the treasonous whore Levon actually think they are doing good for the country. Naturally there are also individuals amongst us that are true agents in the sense that they work for foreign interests. As far as I'm concerned, the 'only' foreign interest that should be embraced and appreciated in Armenia is the one from Moscow.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Protesters and Police Clash as Armenia Unrest Grows

The largest crowds this tiny, mountainous country has seen in years have clogged central streets here for 11 days, as Armenians of all ages have protested the results of a presidential election they say was stolen. But what had begun as relatively routine demonstrations, featuring a daily march to a government building and some slogan shouting, took a more ominous turn on Saturday when the authorities began using nightsticks, tear gas and water hoses to break up crowds. By the end of the day, rioting and looting had begun in some areas of the capital, and the government imposed a state of emergency.

“The mood of the people is one of major resistance,” said Vardan Oskanian, Armenia’s foreign minister. “It’s a critical moment.”

Around 9 p.m., lines of military policemen moved toward the crowds in the center of the city, firing rubber balls and tear gas canisters at them, and shooting bullets into the air. Rioters carrying pipes and stones set fire to dozens of cars, smashed windows, and, in one area, looted alcohol and food. The crowds first gathered after the presidential election on Feb. 19, the fifth since this landlocked country in the Caucasus Mountains gained its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991. It pitted a political insider, the current prime minister, Serge Sargsyan, against Levon Ter-Petrossian, an academic who was the country’s first elected president. Term limits barred the current president, Robert Kocharian, from running.

While Mr. Ter-Petrossian, 63, put up a real opposition with an aggressive campaign, the rest of the election was straight out of the post-Soviet playbook. Votes were bought. Television coverage was embarrassingly skewed. Big men in large cars bossed vote counters. As a result, the party in power stayed in power, with 52 percent of the vote. Until now, Armenia has been a relatively bright example among countries that were once part of the Soviet Union. Its government allows more dissent than most, and journalists rarely disappear and turn up dead. That is why the actions of the police officers on Saturday — and last month’s election, whose results have still not been fully recognized by the United States — were so jarring.

On Saturday morning, Armenian authorities, saying they suspected a coup attempt, used a favorite method of crowd dispersal: placing hand grenades and guns near some of the protesters as they slept, witnesses said, and then confronting them. A fight followed, and the authorities said 31 people were hurt, 10 of them hospitalized. Obedient state television showed contrived scenes of police officers and sniffer dogs walking up to small piles of shiny grenades and handguns, nestled like Easter eggs in the grass.

“It’s a completely artificial reason,” said Boris Navasardian, president of the Yerevan Press Club. “They had plans to disperse the crowds by force from the very beginning.”

By early afternoon, crowds had reassembled, and by evening, they had turned violent, dragging burned cars and windowless city buses to block streets. Men threw rocks and bricks at police officers in riot gear. The officers withdrew from the crowded areas toward midnight, leaving strange scenes in the moonlight. An elaborately decorated cake was atop an upside-down car; loaves of bread spilled out of an open trunk of a car on its side. Drunken men gobbled up expensive chocolates.

“The owner of this store is a very bad person,” said Arsen Sarkisyan, 20, who was walking out with a bag of sour cream containers.

The election was troubled from the start. The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, which sent 333 observers, concluded that 16 percent of the count was “bad” or “very bad.” At one polling station, a quarter of all ballots were declared invalid. At another, all but one of 1,449 votes were for Mr. Sargsyan.

“I told the government that the probability of this is as high as the birth of a dog with five legs,” said Geert Ahrens, head of the organization’s Election Observation Mission here.

There were moments of drama straight out of Gogol. In one recount witnessed by a Western observer, some members of a counting committee, apparently in an attempt at filibustering, wandered off and were missing for hours. The committee chairman was declared sick. Then came a rumor he had had a heart attack. Finally, in sheer frustration after hours of waiting, an official ripped open an envelope marked as containing ballots for Mr. Sargsyan. The ballot on top of the pile was for his opponent, Mr. Ter-Petrossian, and other officials immediately rushed to close the envelope. “I can only assume it was a bad count that someone did not want reopened,” the observer said.

Even so, when seen in the context of the broader region, Mr. Ahrens said, “I’ve seen worse.”

“We won the election,” Mr. Ter-Petrossian said Thursday, sitting in a cafe, the Swan Lake. He added that he had received 65 percent of the vote, a figure that Mr. Ahrens said was “not grounded in any factual evidence.” Mr. Ter-Petrossian’s aides, who refer to him as “the president,” seemed to have fully internalized the figure nonetheless.

The crowds have only seemed to grow since the first post-election rallies, particularly since the day last week when a government-organized rally broke ranks to join them. Mr. Ter-Petrossian, who is fond of dramatic entrances, rushed onto the stage, as Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy” blared from loudspeakers. He spoke for hours, revving up the crowd of angry grandmothers, bored young men eating sunflower seeds and a variety of Armenian professionals. Mr. Ter-Petrossian, who was president from 1991 to 1998, presents himself as the one to rescue the country. For nine days he has slept in his Lincoln Town Car, parked near the protesters’ camp, and he calls the protests “a clear, classic bourgeois, democratic revolution.”

“To keep this regime is a catastrophe for Armenia,” he said last week, smoking a cigarette in a gilded holder. “It’s a pyramid scheme. An eastern monarchy from the Middle Ages.”

Though many Armenians share his frustration, fewer think he is the man capable of making real changes. As president, he relied on the very methods he is now criticizing, they say, arresting opposition figures, closing news organizations and sending armored vehicles into the streets after a tainted election in 1996.

“A revolution means there is a principled person from outside the system who wants to change it,” said Avetik Ishkhanyan, chairman of the Armenian Helsinki Committee. “But this opposition created the system. It is identical to the people in power.”

Part of the problem is Armenia’s Soviet past. Legal institutions like courts became instruments of state power, and even after 17 years, people are still suspicious of them.

“The Soviet Union is dead, the Soviet man is not,” an Armenian government official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “There is still no trust.”

Mr. Sargsyan, for his part, said that his opponent seemed to be more interested in street protests, which have paralyzed life in the capital, than in following the tedious procedure to challenge the results in court.

“If they had something to claim, they could do it,” he said, sitting in his lofty office in central Yerevan. “Why didn’t they? O.K., it was hard. They weren’t in the mood. But they could still do it.”

As for the crowd, he predicted that “step by step, it will die out.”

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/wo...tml?ref=europe

Նժդեհ

Comment

Kocharian: there are four scenarios for development of Armenia domestic situation

BBC Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&bbram=1&asb=1

The presidential election is over, the outcomes are announced, and international observers produced positive assessments, RA President Robert Kocharian said at a meeting with the students and teaching staff of Yerevan State University.

“Following the recommendation received, we introduced amendments into the Electoral Code and invited international observers. I would like to emphasize there are no elections without violations. The point is that they must not become systematic,” he said. “The authorities and opposition will establish cooperation within next 2 days. Of course, there those who are discontent… To be more precise, one discontent politician who appeals to the Constitutional Court, on the one hand, and organized unauthorized rallies, on the other hand. We predicted this ‘Armenian tradition’. I went through it in 1998 and 2003,” the President said.

“Ter-Petrosyan announced victory two weeks before the election. Now, he understands that he can’t step back,” he added. “I see four possible scenarios. First, rallies will continue, because there is an opinion that the longer people remain on Theater Square the more difficult it will be for the authorities to cope with the crowd. It’s a deadlock for Levon Ter-Petrosyan. Second, to follow the scenario of 1996 and seize the government institutions, what will result in great number of arrests. Third, to thank the people and send them to their homes. Political struggle is a long way. And fourth, to congratulate the new President and go home. The authorities are ready or any of the above mentioned variants,” Mr Kocharian said.

“The Armenian authorities have either to show patience and wait until all this comes to an end or to take action. We are ready for either. We are not in 1988, when the Soviet empire was in agony and rallies produced the desired effect. The law enforcers can clear the Theater Square of people but we never forget that these people are Armenians. On the whole, speeches delivered at the rallies represent a perfect material for students of psychology faculty,” the President remarked.

Source: http://www.panarmenian.net/news/eng/?nid=25140

Café Shamiram belonging to Ter-Petrosyan’s supporter Khachatur Sukiasyan burned down in Yerevan

Café Shamiram belonging to Ter-Petrosyan’s supporter, MP Khachatur Sukiasyan was burned down in Yerevan. Witnesses say that the fire burst out some 15 minutes ago. Then two explosions were heard (supposedly, gas tanks exploded). The fire spread over to nearby vendor kiosks. The firemen extinguished the fire but the café was completely burned down. This morning the law enforcers searched though Khachatur Sukiasyan’s apartments. According to unconfirmed data, a criminal case was initiated against him.

Source: http://www.panarmenian.net/news/eng/?nid=25163

Նժդեհ

Comment

It would not matter one way or another. What matters is if you serve the interests of any of the major powers that are interested in the region.

It matters to the people who live there and believe Armenia is some bacwards, anti democratic country, when we are actually one of the most "democratic" of the post soviet and eastern bloc nations.

Comment

Ռոբերտ Քոչարյանի ուղերձը ժողովրդին

R. Kocharyan interview on L.Ter-Petrosyan's protests Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv4noPe0N0s
                      R. Kocharyan interview on L.Ter-Petrosyan's protests Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeoVS...eature=related
                      R. Kocharyan interview on L.Ter-Petrosyan's protests Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssk-...eature=related

Հարգելի հայրենակիցներ,

Հայաստանի Հանրապետության Նախագահի 2008 թվականի ընտրություններում պարտություն կրած` ինքնաառաջադրված թեկնածու Լեւոն Տեր-Պետրոսյանն ու իրեն շրջապատող արկածախնդիրների մի խումբ, չհաշտվելով կրած պարտության իրողության հետ, դիմել են ապօրինի գործողությունների:
                      տպել

ուղարկել ընկերոջը

Դրանց թվում են` զենքի եւ զինամթերքի կուտակումն ու տեղափոխումը մարդաշատ վայրեր, որտեղ դրանց առկայությունը կարող է լուրջ վտան• ներկայացնել քաղաքացիների կյանքին եւ առողջությանը, առանց իրազեկման հանրահավաքների եւ երթերի անցկացումը:

Չնայած նրան, որ 2008 թվականի նախագահական ընտրություններին մասնակցող թեկնածուների կողմից պահանջված վերահաշվարկները որեւէ լուրջ խախտումներ չեն հայտնաբերել, չի ներկայացվել որեւէ գանգատ Հայաստանի Հանրապետության վարչական դատարաններ, իսկ Սահմանադրական դատարանում Ընտրական օրենսգրքով նախատեսված կարգով ընթանում է ընտրությունների արդյունքների գանգատարկման ուսումնասիրություն, թեկնածու Տեր-Պետրոսյանի կողմնակիցները շարունակում են վիճարկել ընտրությունների ելքն ապօրինի միջոցներով: Ընդդիմության ներկայացուցիչների մի խումբ մարտի 1-ին անկար•ություններ են իրականացրել Երեւանի կենտրոնում` պատճառելով վնաս քաղաքացիների եւ պետության գույքին, ինչպես նաեւ ստեղծելով ուղղակի սպառնալիք քաղաքացիների անվտանգության համար, ինչը վիճակը դարձնում է անվերահսկելի:
                      Այդ գործողությունների թիրախը Հայաստանի Հանրապետության ձեռք բերած կայունությունն է, իսկ հետեւանքը` միջազգային հեղինակության խաթարումը:

Որպես Հայաստանի Հանրապետության Սահմանադրության պահպանման երաշխավոր` որեւէ մեկին չեմ թույլատրելու վտանգել մեր պետության սահմանադրական կարգը:

Հայաստանի Հանրապետության սահմանադրական կարգին սպառնացող անմիջական վտանգը կանխելու նպատակով, ղեկավարվելով Սահմանադրության 55-րդ հոդվածի 14-րդ կետի դրույթներով, ես խորհրդակցել եմ Ազգային ժողովի նախագահի եւ վարչապետի հետ, որից հետո ստորագրել եմ հրամանագիր, որով Երեւան քաղաքում մարտի 1-ից 20 օր ժամկետով հայտարարել եմ արտակարգ դրություն:

Հրամանագրով նախատեսված են արտակարգ դրության հետեւյալ միջոցառումները.

1) ժողովների, հանրահավաքների, ցույցերի, երթերի եւ այլ զանգվածային միջոցառումների իրականացման արգելում.
                      2) գործադուլների եւ կազմակերպությունների գործունեությունը դադարեցնող կամ կասեցնող այլ միջոցառումների արգելում.
                      3) իրավապահ մարմինների կողմից, անհրաժեշտության դեպքում, անձանց, տրանսպորտային միջոցների տեղաշարժի սահմանափակում եւ զննության իրականացում.
                      4) զանգվածային լրատվության միջոցների կողմից պետական եւ ներքաղաքական հարցերի առնչությամբ հրապարակումները կարող են իրականացվել բացառապես պաշտոնական տեղեկատվության սահմաններում.
                      5) առանց համապատասխան պետական մարմինների թույլտվության թռուցիկների եւ այլ ձեւով քաղաքական քարոզչության իրականացման արգելում.
                      6) արտակարգ դրություն հայտարարելու համար հիմք ծառայող հան•ամանքների վերացմանը խոչընդոտող կուսակցությունների եւ այլ հասարակական կազմակերպությունների գործունեության ժամանակավոր կասեցում.
                      7) արտակարգ դրության իրավական ռեժիմը խախտած եւ տվյալ տարածքում չբնակվող անձանց վտարում` նրանց միջոցների հաշվին, իսկ միջոցներ չլինելու դեպքում` Հայաստանի Հանրապետության պետական բյուջեի միջոցների հաշվին` կատարված ծախսերի հետա•ա փոխհատուցման պայմանով:
                      Բոլորին զսպվածության եւ խոհեմության կոչ եմ անում: Այս իրավիճակում ավելի քան երբեւէ անհրաժեշտ է դրսեւորել համախմբվածություն, անշեղորեն կատարել օրենքի պահանջները: Վստահեցնում եմ, որ արտակարգ դրությունը կդադարեցվի դրա հայտարարելու համար հիմք ծառայող հանգամանքների վերացումից անմիջապես հետո:

EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES IN ARMENIA

On 1 March the president of the Republic of Armenia Robert Kocharyan announced extraordinary circumstances in Armenia. The information is provided by the press and public relations department of the president’s administration. In order to prevent the threats of the constitutional order and to protect citizens’ rights and legal interests, leading by the RA Constitution articles 55/14 and 117/6 a decision is made:

1. to announce extraordinary circumstances in Yerevan for 20 days on 1 March 2008
                      2. to announce the RA president as the body of regulating and directing the problem salvation duties
                      3. to hand the responsibilities of providing the peace and regulation steps to the police of the RA and the Defense Ministry of RA
                      4. to announce extraordinary circumstances in the announced territories with the following time limits:
                      1) to prohibit conducting meetings, gatherings, manifestations, public demonstrations,
                      2) to prohibit any activities limiting organizations’ labor duties,
                      3) to give legal bodies rights, if needed, to stop and check transport means,
                      4) mass media is allowed to publish state and local news in the line with information provided by the state bodies
                      5) to prohibit carrying out political campaign by spreading booklets without having permission from appropriate state bodies,
                      6) to block activities of political parties and NGO-s which could prevent from carrying out the announced extraordinary circumstances in the capital,
                      7) to oust people from the territories where they prevent from carrying out the extraordinary circumstances on their own means or on state budget with the terms that they should be paid back,
                      5. to command the Government of the RA to take and carry out necessary measures to assure the bringing out of the current order,
                      6. The current order comes into force after it is announced.

Source: Panorama.am

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X