Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Enlisting in the ROA Armed Forces...would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting in the ROA Armed Forces...would you?

Below is an email I sent to the Armenia Embassy in Washington...most people would think I was crazy for considering it (not that it's possible as of now), but if I was given the opportunity, I would love to be the first diasporan Armenian kid on my block to join the Armenian Army.
    Two years of my life is not a high price to pay when it come to the defense of Hayastan...hell, I already wasted 10 years of my life in the US Army fighting Isreal's wars - I figure, if I'm going to take up arms again in my life it should be for Armenia.

Here's the email:

Dear Sir/Madam,

As a former US Army officer of Armenian decent, I am writing to inquire about the mandatory military service that all males must fulfill in the Republic of Armenia. Although, I am not a citizen of Armenia (I do have special residency status), I would like to explore the idea of serving in the Armenian Armed forces. This inquiry is only prompted by my patriotism and sense of duty to Armenia.
    First of all, I would like to know if it is even possible for someone with only residency status to serve? Secondly, if it is not possible, are there any positions (official or unofficial) in the Armed forces' organization where I, as a diasporan Armenian, can serve?
    Moreover, if the answer to these questions is "no", I would humbly suggest to the leadership of the Armenian Armed forces that some program should be started to get diasporan Armenians involved in the direct defense of the Armenian homeland. Perhaps the leadership could look to the Israeli Defense Force model as an example on how to implement such a program.

Kind regards,

Re: Enlisting in the ROA Armed Forces...would you?

I'm very impressed in your selfless patriotism, enker. Please inform us of any replies you may get.

Compared to what it was like during the 90s the overall conditions within the Republic's military services seem to have improved drastically. There is increased funding, better equipment, better accommodations and respect towards those who serve seems to be returning as well. Ideally, I would like to serve within an active military reserve, if such a thing exists, once I settle there.

Note: I don't think a program meant to attract diasporans to the Armenian military is a good idea, nor do I think such a plan with be looked upon favorably by the interior ministry. In fact, I think such a plan is a little risky for it may provide dubious characters with an opportunity to penetrate the fabric of the military.
    Last edited by Armenian; 10-04-2007, 08:36 AM.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
      I'm very impressed in your selfless patriotism, enker. Please inform us of any replies you may get.

Compared to what it was like during the 90s the overall conditions within the Republic's military services seem to have improved drastically. There is increased funding, better equipment, better accommodations and respect towards those who serve seems to be returning as well. Ideally, I would like to serve within an active military reserve, if such a thing exists, once I settle there.

Note: I don't think a program that is meant to attract diasporan Armenians to the Armenian military is a good idea, nor do I think such a plan with be approved by the interior ministry. In fact, I think it is a little risky for it can be a avenue of dubious characters attempting to join the ranks of the military and attempting to move up the ranks.
      I tacitly agree with you concerning your note. However, I do believe that something should be done to get te diaspora involves (at least on a subordinate level).
      The ROA cannot afford to make it easy for CIA types to infiltrate the army.

BTW, I did get an initial response - nothing earth-shattering, but here it is anyway:

Dear Mr. "Crusader",

Thank you very much for your interest in Armenia and its Armed Forces. I
      will forward your inquiry to our military attache, Col. Armen Sargsyan.

Best regards,

Comment

Pativ ev hargank crusader jan!

Comment

Pativ ev hargank enker crusader.

I hope there will be no more wars for the coming decades because our people have suffered a lot and our little republic does need time to fully recover from the hardships it has faced. If God forbid, there will be a war I hope I will have the courage to join guys like you on the battlefield.

Comment

Seeing as Zhirair Seflilyan fought for the ROA before his arrest and was not an Armenian citizen, I suspect the ROA would allow you to enlist.

But, you may want to keep your mouth shut and not attempt to enter the political arena - atleast until you obtain citizenship (assuming you intend to stay).

I'm not sure of all the intricacies of Sefilyan's alleged criminality but it sure seems to a politically charged matter especially when you are imprisoning a person that is considered by some in the Motherland to be a hero.

I recall seeing a piece about an Armenian-American soldier who died while fighting for the ROA.
            Between childhood, boyhood,
            adolescence
            & manhood (maturity) there
            should be sharp lines drawn w/
            Tests, deaths, feats, rites
            stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Comment

Not quite, Freaky.

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
              Seeing as Zhirair Seflilyan fought for the ROA before his arrest and was not an Armenian citizen, I suspect the ROA would allow you to enlist.
              Sefilian joined the Artsakh war effort during its early stages. Back then anyone could have simply picked up a rifle and gone to the battlefield. It's quite different now.

But, you may want to keep your mouth shut and not attempt to enter the political arena - atleast until you obtain citizenship (assuming you intend to stay).
              Yes, soldiers need to keep their mouths shut. You are making it sound as if that is a special situation for Armenia. In what part of the world do military men dictate government policy?

Oh, I forgot, Africa.

I'm not sure of all the intricacies of Sefilyan's alleged criminality but it sure seems to a politically charged matter especially when you are imprisoning a person that is considered by some in the Motherland to be a hero.
              Listen, why don't you continue doing what you know how to do best - chase joos around cyberia.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

So Armenian, were those Shushi/Karabagh forces volunteer units for Azerbaijan or Armenia??? You pick up a gun and get funded by a nation, you are fighting for that nation.

If you do not believe the ROA helped organize those 'volunteer' troops, you are kidding yourself.

And, you can bet that U.S. servicemen can associate with each other and speak their mind like if "we give back one inch of Hawaii, there'll be hell to pay" without fear of being jailed.

Also, you do not dispute directly that some in Armenia consider Selfiyan an Armenian hero, apparently he is also considered the same by some in Lebanon.

You keep on keeping on with your myopic, naive self.

The Karabagh conflict is between which two nations? Zhirair was not fighting for Azerbaijan. So, what exactly are you saying? He was a batallion leader for the volunteer troops fighting on behalf of the ROA.
                adolescence

Comment

Ordinarily, unless one is drafted or conscripted, joining the armed forces is a matter of volunteerism. You either volunteer or, if you qualify, are called up.

Here is some background info on Mr. Sefilyan.
                  http://jirairsefilyan.tripod.com/ (bio)
                  A1+ [08:27 pm] 15 December, 2006 "No individual can pose serious threat to the RA," said Secretary of the Security Council adjunct to the RA...

And, actually, as Armenia has passed a dual citizenship law,diaspora can easily join the Armenian Armed Forces upon qualifying and obtaining citizenship. http://www.cilicia.com/2007/02/dual-...ll-passed.html

Yes, as Armenia was in the infancy of its independence when Sefilyan emigrated there and subsequently participated in the liberation of Shushi, anyone could join the Armenian cause of recovering traditional lands.

I suspect if Armenia was dragged into conflict with one of its neighbors - especially those that are of larger population with greater resources - the motherland would graciously allow non-citizen diaspora to enlist - join - volunteer to fight in support of the country. No?
                  adolescence

Comment

Originally posted by freakyfreaky View Post
                    So Armenian, were those Shushi/Karabagh forces volunteer units for Azerbaijan or Armenia??? You pick up a gun and get funded by a nation, you are fighting for that nation. If you do not believe the ROA helped organize those 'volunteer' troops, you are kidding yourself.
                    And if you think otherwise you simply do not know enough about the topic of discussion. During the early stages of the war there essentially was no ROA. During the early stages of the war many of the volunteers, especially the ones from the diaspora, were organized by individuals and funded by private and/or personal money. It was during this time that many of the diasporan volunteers entered the war. After the establishment of the ceasefire agreement in 1994, after the Armenian Republic began building a real military, the volunteers were either incorporated into the structures of the armed forces or driven out.

And, you can bet that U.S. servicemen can associate with each other and speak their mind like if "we give back one inch of Hawaii, there'll be hell to pay" without fear of being jailed.
                    The point is military men are not supposed to - by law. There are many such examples, look at Israel and all the occupied lands they have been forced to give up. And issues about giving or taking lands are relative only to geopolitics. In our case, no one is giving up lands. Just because some paranoid people think that it is going to happen it does not give them the right to take up arms against the authorities. Sefilian is not a politician nor is he a diplomat, Sefilian is a soldier and he should not loose sight of that.

Trust me, if they were to give up lands it would be quite obvious. And in such a situation it wold not only be Sefilian attempting to stop the government from doing so it would be the entire population of Artskah. Thus far we have only had paranoid people making stupid accusations against the authorities. Accusations such as Kocharyan and Sarkisian have already sold Artsakh to the Azeris for 9 bilion USD.

Also, you do not dispute directly that some in Armenia consider Selfiyan an Armenian hero, apparently he is also considered the same by some in Lebanon.
                    Of course he is a war hero. That is not the matter here. As a matter of fact, so were Patton and Macarthy after the Second World War, that is before the US government got rid of them due to their warlike rhetoric and following.

The Karabagh conflict is between which two nations? Zhirair was not fighting for Azerbaijan. So, what exactly are you saying? He was a batallion leader for the volunteer troops fighting on behalf of the ROA
                    You are not making any sense. I suggest you learn about the topic in question first hand.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                    X