Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Good languages for Armenians to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good languages for Armenians to learn?

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    I fully agree.
    thanks a lot !!at least I can see someone with logical sense . "by the way" Iam in favour to write the things "as it is "dont have the complex to pretend to be someone else, I have born in Istanbul and been short time "taghagan"representing my armenian people in destrict of Bakirkoy.Iwas graduate gollege of GETRONAGAN ( www.getronagan.org ) founded almost 1890)where the level of education ( almost %100 armenian )was exeded any other schools that period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
      Western > Eastern
      What? Are you kidding me? How can you like Western over Eastern? You can say whatever you want the official language of Armenia is Eastern not Western dialect. Plus it's much better using Russian words (Eastern) rather than Turkish words (Western).
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
        What? Are you kidding me? How can you like Western over Eastern? You can say whatever you want the official language of Armenia is Eastern not Western dialect. Plus it's much better using Russian words (Eastern) rather than Turkish words (Western).
        As far as I know, neither of the dialects officially have Russian or Turkish words because there is usually the Armenian version so let's refrain from degrading our language by saying we use this or that language. And as I have stated on the Western Armenian language thread, this idea that Turkish has influenced Western Armenian is nothing but a myth.
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

I don't understand what the big problem is here. Western Armenian and Eastern Armenian are the same language (Նոյն լեզուն է). My first language is English, I have been learning Western dialect for about 10 months and can understand Eastern just as well as Western.

As a side note - someone even commented today in church about how they thought I was Eastern Armenian. I think it's because the Easteners are the only ones who will talk to me in Armenian that I have that accent!

Comment

What I'm curious about is where and when the grammatical differences between the two dialects in verb conjugation began.

The Subject-Object-Verb pattern in "Yes kezi ge sirem"? (WA)
            The Verb-Subject-Object pattern in "Sirum-em kez"? (EA)

The split in the usages of bidi/piti in verb conjugation between WA and EA.

What languages (and of what periods) influenced the phonological differences between WA and EA.

I am studying linguistics and am learning more and more about how languages work and how they can contrast eachother or share similarities. Understanding the highly dynamic split between Eastern and Western Armenian as of particular interest to me because I have family members who I have a lot of difficulty understanding because they speak EA, I often erronously try to correlate things I hear in their conjugations with patterns I'm familiar with in WA and it doesn't work very smoothly. My other problem is I can't communicate with them in English very well because they aren't strong at all in it.

Maybe if I date an EA speaker one day, it'll be more fun and easy to learn

Btw yeraz, I don't know if it's my own bias, but I feel that Eastern Armenian speakers have less problems decoding what Western Armenian speakers say even though there are certain etymological inconsistencies in the vocabulary.

If my hunch is right, this would be similar to how Portugese speakers of Portugal have a relatively easy time understanding Spanish from Spain, but not vice versa as the Spanish consider Portuguese too alien, perhaps due to the murking effect of their highly specialized pronounciation differences. Another example could perhaps be how a Southerner from the States could have less trouble understanding a Londoner from Britain than vice versa.

I find that WA probably would have to take the plunge and actively learn EA in order to exceed the 60%-80% comprehension bracket when hearing the other dialect, whilst EA speakers do not share this problem. What do you guys think?
            Last edited by jgk3; 10-26-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
              Btw yeraz, I don't know if it's my own bias, but I feel that Eastern Armenian speakers have less problems decoding what Western Armenian speakers say even though there are certain etymological inconsistencies in the vocabulary.
              This is what my god-father (Hayastanci) has told me in the past.

If my hunch is right, this would be similar to how Portugese speakers of Portugal have a relatively easy time understanding Spanish from Spain, but not vice versa as the Spanish consider Portuguese too alien, perhaps due to the murking effect of their highly specialized pronounciation differences. Another example could perhaps be how a Southerner from the States could have less trouble understanding a Londoner from Britain than vice versa.
              I think the Portuguese/Spanish example is a little extreme because whereas no matter how much a Spanish-speaker is exposed to Portuguese he will not understand Portuguese, A WA who is exposed to EA will understand EA. I like to compare the EA/WA difference maybe more to European Portuguese and Brazlian Portuguese.

I find that WA probably would have to take the plunge and actively learn EA in order to exceed the 60%-80% comprehension bracket when hearing the other dialect, whilst EA speakers do not share this problem. What do you guys think?
              You just have to be exposed to the dialect, that's all. It's not to say that I understand all or even most of what is being said, just that I can comprehend at a level where I know what they're talking about.

Comment

Good point, it is more like a dialectal difference between Brazil and Portugal's Portuguese. I'm happy to hear that your god-father makes my bias seem less sounding of one, simpler than to keep to biases that people on the other side of the fence agree with

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                  Western Armenian is proper Armenian. I guess that's why they teach Western Armenian in nearly every school I've seen it being taught in?

Eastern Armenian is far more... gobid, is the word I'm looking for.

Comment

Eastern Armenian is bad Persian with a Russian accent.

Comment

well, I work at my uncle's market in yerevan and the workers there (including me) can barely understand the western Armenian tourists who speak in their western accent. Not only the workers, but people in general when they hear western armenian they know right away that person is a tourist from diaspora. Also western armenian sounds more similar to Turkish than Eastern Armenian (I believe that's a plus for Eastern armenian). So, please stop trying to put down the dialect that is actually spoken and understood in Armenia. That's the dialect with which Serzh speaks and much more Armenians speak with Eastern than Western.
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---
                      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Working...
                      X